Travel insurance - when to buy?

karen_g

I always buy trip insurance, and was really glad I had it once when I had to cancel at the last minute.

I'm pretty sure it covers you for independently booked air arrangements. Do you need to book the air arrangements first AND THEN buy the insurance in order to be covered, or is it the other way around: buy the insurance first and then buy the air?

I just want to be sure I'm covered just in case!

Does anyone know how this works? Thanks for any info!

We were considering this for the first time since we are chancing our cruise in Oct this year. But others have said that acts of nature are not covered. The policies we looked at from the cc recommendations are a lot lower priced but coverage seems a lot less too. Maybe not understanding it. It said for trip cancellation we would get 700. That is not worth the policy at all.

Guest cruzr44

You can buy it before. Just estimate what the air will cost you so the amount of coverage you get will be enough. If your cabin is $600 and air is $300 you would get coverage for the total amount. I am usually still shopping for air when I buy my insurance. I have also had to use the insurance and it covered my air even though I hadn't booked it when I purchased the insurance.

Guest cruzr44

Just an added note; I booked an inside cabin and then changed to a balcony. I obviously needed more insurance so I just called them and upped my coverage.

Archived