Curious

MollyBrown

I'm curious about how people choose their cabins and dining categories on QM2.

First of all, how many of you who book Britannia are corporate executives? Or do most "professional" types tend to book in the Grills?

How many of you who used to book the Grills on QE2 now book in Britannia on QM2, either because there are no single cabins on QM2, or for other reasons?

I'm sure there are some who only travel on QM2 very rarely, and therefore splurge on Grill cabins. What about those who (like myself) travel on QM2 regularly and frequently? I myself would hardly think it very wise to spend 20 thousand each way as a single when I travel so frequently.

I'm just happy to be going on the QM 2 period-no matter what cabin. In fact, I'm just happy to be alive. Every morning I wake up, read the obituary, and if I'm not in it, I enjoy the day to its fullest. Every day is a gift. That's why they call it the "present". Have fun, Ms. MollyBrown!

Our cruise coming up next summer is our first QM2 and our 10th anniversary. We booked a Q4 and a kind of splurge on ourselves to celebrate our anniversay. If we became regular cruisers, I imagine we would book that pricey so we could go more often.

On the other hand, I have terrible hours with work and am away from home a good bit. We made a decision several years ago that we would always splurge on vacations and make them a true escape from reality.

We made a decision several years ago that we would always splurge on vacations and make them a true escape from reality.

And this would not be the case if you booked a cheaper option?

David.

My wife and I have enjoyed four crossings on the QM2 and are booked for another round trip beginning on the 23rd of May. We own our own company and are certainly capable of affording any class of cabin for our journeys. Our first trip was on a lark and booked last minute in a Britannia cabin.

When we decided to book our next trip we looked at both the Q and P category cabins but, quite frankly, didn't see the value in an addiitional $10,000 to $30,000 for our trip. We rarely spent time in our cabin, instead taking full advantage of the lectures, shows, gymnasium, spa and company of our fellow passengers.

In our case the extra $1,000 to $3,000 per day seemed a bit high to eat at a different restaurant and enjoy a separate bar. After all a couple could enjoy an evening at Gordon Ramsey's or Alain Ducasse's establishments for far less.

This is clearly a personal decision on our part but I share this simply to assure those that regardless of cabin class our experiences on the QM2 have kept us coming back.

First of all, how many of you who book Britannia are corporate executives? Or do most "professional" types tend to book in the Grills?

Molly,

Why are you obsessing about who books what? - I suspect the true answer is as many different reasons as there are passengers on the ship.

Peter

Sorry folks, I don't really care one bit who is in what cabin grade and never did. I'm just trying to figure out who are the ones who keep perpetuating the put-downs of Brittania.

I would love it if we could just let this unappealing topic die. I will try not to respond if someone brings it up again.

But, before we close this forever, please Mr. Heel MD, don't feel that way. You earned your stateroom with all of the difficult years of Med School that you endured, You deserve it. Look forward to, and enjoy your trip! Threadfun

I gather from another thread that there is a string quartet that plays in the Britannia during dinner.

On the assumption that this is NOT the case in the Grills, then that would be reason alone not to use the Britannia, assuming the option of the grills is realistic.

Our 20th cruise will be next Jan. on QM2. We have cruised most of the other lines, and usually have a jr. suite.

However, since this is the entire World Cruise, we have booked a balcony stateroom, with Brittania.

We could not justify the extremes in price for a trip of that duration, and we are going to see the World!

I am sure that we will be happy with our balcony stateroom.

I'm just trying to figure out who are the ones who keep perpetuating the put-downs of Brittania.

Nobody. Nobody has, nobody is. Nobody. Nobody nobody nobody. :rolleyes:

I would love it if we could just let this unappealing topic die.

Well, who is it that won't let it die...hmmm....who could that be.... :eek:

Britannia: Me (VP of multinational company) and husband (partner in international law firm) - we don't mind one way or the other - to us, it's like the difference between Business and First on the airplane, not coach and first, so we're happy where we are and happy for those who chose Grill and would have been happy in Grill but chose not to, just like we chose Business over First but don't resent those in First nor pity those in Economy (well, maybe the latter, just a bit). I haven't noticed ANY put downs of Britannia on these boards, and chuckle at the use of Steerage, since it's so clearly used tongue in cheek by nearly everyone.

Simple - post the offending posts.........

Peter

As you know, there were several references to the dreaded "s" word prior to this (and not made by me) but this is the latest that was posted a couple of days ago. I just wonder why is was necessary to bring it up in the first place:

Originally Posted by travel-to-go

At the risk of riling things!

Here's how one of the NY Post's articles started out! I had to laugh!

It sounded like it might be a few poeple on this board! (composites of course!)

"WELCOME to Broooklyn Passengers.

It seems fitting that the Queen Mary 2 - the massive snob-mover that insists on segregating first class passengers from lowly steerage types- made its inaugural landing in Red hook , Brooklyn, on the 94th anniversary of the day the Titanic sank to the bottom of the Atlantic.

http://www.nypost.com/commentary/64580.htm

Ya gotta have a sensayuma, folks!

...there were several references to the dreaded "s" word prior to this (and not made by me) but this is the latest that was posted a couple of days ago. I just wonder why is was necessary to bring it up in the first place:

Ya gotta have a sensayuma, folks! (Karie)

I think Karie sums it up very well.....she was poking fun at a poorly written and ill-informed piece of journalism.........and if you don't want to post the posts that have so offended you perhaps best let it go.......

Peter

PS Did you know that in her day Margaret Brown was NEVER known as 'Molly Brown' - that was an invention well after she died, and another innaccuracy (among the many) of James Cameron's Titanic - in fact the term traces to the play, then Debbie Reynolds movie.....of 1964

As you know, there were several references to the dreaded "s" word prior to this (and not made by me) but this is the latest that was posted a couple of days ago. I just wonder why is was necessary to bring it up in the first place:

Originally Posted by travel-to-go

At the risk of riling things!

Here's how one of the NY Post's articles started out! I had to laugh!

It sounded like it might be a few poeple on this board! (composites of course!)

I've only been on these boards for a couple of months, but it hasn't taken that long to read travel-to-go's (Karie's) posts and work out that she is usually right, interesting, non-confrontational and, most importantly, has a sense of humour.

It may be a hard concept to grasp, but she was joking.

Mary

I see a link to a news article, but no post links. It may be my computer, but if this is what got you so upset, perhaps you should write the newspaper and give the keyboard a break.

Here is the link to the post, which was posted yesterday, actually.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=164865&page=12

You know, there was a program on TV here in the US about riots that have occurred around the world. I wonder what causes that kind of violent mob mentality to take over. Of course, no violence here, but I suppose life is difficult for everyone in different ways, and humans apparently always have "psuedo" outlets for releasing aggression.

I looked at your link and there was one post where they quoted the NY Post article that mentioned the s word, but no posters were using it. Anyway, I will leave you alone, but if you're going to accuse posters here of passing judgement on others...you may want to be able to back it up. If having others ask for you to do so seems like mob-mentality to you, our apologies.

I hereby take my leave of this pointless but recurring argument.

Archived