Shipping Baggage Home

JMB

Wondered if anyone is familiar with shipping baggage home (via Fed Ex or some such) upon completion of a cruise. Does RCCL offer such a service? We are on the Jewel of the Seas transatlantic sailing finishing up in Harwich on May 14; we are then scheduled for a seven day land tour with another company before flying home. At that time we will have a couple of suitcases containing formal clothes and other things that we would no longer need with us.

Any experience or advice as to availability and/or cost of such service that you may share would be appreciated.

JMB

The first thing I thought about was "The UPS Store", but it looks like they are not located in London. You could try Mail Box Etc. You might go to your local Mail Box Etc, UPS or FedEx facility and talk to them about it and find out what you would need. Sorry, I wish I knew more details.

I would find out ahead of time where the local post office is where you're arriving. You can send your stuff back from there. Every city should have one, at the least, you shouldn't be too far from a city with one. If overseas, send it surface (several weeks) if you don't need the stuff back any time soon, to save a fair amount of money.

I would think your ground tour operator or hotel could help arrange something for you.

We were on another cruise line and they had some information specifically about shipping your luggage home via FedEx (as I recall it seemed quite expensive.) I haven't seen the offer on RCCL, but it might be available. I would check either with customer service on RCCL or even check with FedEx.

Another option would be to ship from your hotel. Before you leave home, pick the shipping company you would like to use, DHL, UPS, FedEx,...., and bring several airbills for the company you choose. When you check into your hotel after your cruise, ask the front desk, or better yet, the concierge if available or bell man, about arranging for a pickup from the company you choose. Pack what you would like to ship, and drop them off at the front desk with the airbill. I do this all the time when traveling on business and need to ship supplies to and from hotels.

You might want to bring the toll free phone number for the company you have selected (will start with 800, 877, or 777) so that you can call the company yourself if needed.

Wondered if anyone is familiar with shipping baggage home (via Fed Ex or some such) upon completion of a cruise. Does RCCL offer such a service? We are on the Jewel of the Seas transatlantic sailing finishing up in Harwich on May 14; we are then scheduled for a seven day land tour with another company before flying home. At that time we will have a couple of suitcases containing formal clothes and other things that we would no longer need with us.

Any experience or advice as to availability and/or cost of such service that you may share would be appreciated.

JMB

The post office will be the cheapest. FedEx, UPS, DHL will be very pricey. Figure about $250.00 from London for a 50-60 pound suitcase. You will either have to box up the luggage OR take the stuff out of the suitcase, box it, and keep the suitcase with you (for all the new stuff you buy).

If you don't need the stuff IMMEDIATELY when you get home, the post office will do a fine job. Just make sure you put personal possessions-USED, on the label. US customs could charge duty if they thought the items were new. Also, make sure you buy the most insurance you can for the items inclosed AND put a label inside the box, with address, etc.

I have shipped stuff from all over the world (including third world countries-Vietnam, Cambodia, Peru). Never had a loss-some delayed, but no total losses.

Archived