Restaurant recommendations

QuitMyDayJob

We're staying a couple days pre and post cruise next month and need some suggestions for a nice restaurant or two.

I've searched this forum and others to try to get some ideas, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Perhaps someone can help.

Pre-cruise we're staying at the Intercontinental. One night we'd like to have a nice dinner somewhere that has an ocean view. Any ideas? I should add that one of us has limited mobility and uses a walker, so it would either have to be quite close or a short cab ride away.

Post-cruise we're staying at the Marriott Stellaris and are looking for a similar type of restaurant.

I've read about some great places for breakfast and lunch, pizza, great people watching etc., which is very helpful for most of our meals, but nothing specifically about upscale restaurants with a view. When I search some of the other websites for restaurants I can't tell their location in relation to the hotels.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

I really recommend "The Ranch" at the El San Juan hotel which is right next door to the Intercontinental. I was just in San Juan this past Thurs.-Mon. and we ate there Saturday night. Really fun and well themed. It's on the 10th floor and it is an open air restaurant so you can see the lights of San Juan. Definitely make reservations and inquire about sitting near the egde so that you have the sights - some of the inner tables you can't see out so it's pretty much like sitting in a normal restaurant. It's a steakhouse type place with all sorts of steaks, salmon, chicken, etc. So not typical Puerto Rican food, but good nonetheless. We also ate lunch at the Ciao Mediterranean Cafe which is at the Intercontinental. A little pricey for lunch (it cost 3 of us $60 with 2 of us getting fruity drinks) but was pretty decent. There's also a grocery store nearby (if you have your back to the hotel, walk right up Ave. Isla Verde and it's near the Church Chicken) where you can get a lot of basics (and alcohol) if you want.

ClingandClatter: I've read a couple of reviews that discuss the Western atmosphere and the mechanical bull at The Ranch. Did you find there to be a lot of noise because of this? Two in our party have a hard time with noise, so I was just wondering. Thanks again for the information.

While staying at the Intercontinental, if you like Mexican, you gotta try Lupi's. It's walking distance and is outstanding. 4 different sized Margarita's can be had. The price for the largest one, IIRC, is $35. The Mojito's at the Intercontinental's Pool area are great too although pricey. Ruth's Chris Steak House is also within walking distance and, at least to me, a much better deal than you would get at Morton's which is near the Caribe Hilton which you would need to drive to.

~Paul

First-I'll go anywhere that has something called "watermelon sangria", and FOUR sizes of margaritas?:eek: Aqua Viva and Lupi's are now both on my list.

I'll read some reviews on other websites, but can you tell me if either of these places (or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse) has an ocean view? (And I apologize in advance if this is a silly question--I really don't know the area very well.)

Thanks so much for the information! 28 days before I leave!!

I'll read some reviews on other websites, but can you tell me if either of these places (or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse) has an ocean view? (And I apologize in advance if this is a silly question--I really don't know the area very well.)

There is no view from inside the restaurant. :( Wonderful,wonderful food, great drinks (I had an awesome mojito as well as the sangria) and friendly service. If you step outside, there's a nice view.;)

http://www.oofrestaurants.com/aguaviva/menus.htm

Several places near the Intercontinental offer what you are looking for.

Next door at the ESJ, there are some nice restaurants. La Veranda,

Tequilas and the Ranch. All have nice views. The Ranch is western

themed with a few activities that can get noisy. The mechanical bull

and horseshoe pit get alot of use. Also, the staff does a little singing/

dance act. Nice place and the food is good. Views are terrific from the

10th floor. Tequilas is on the other side of the floor next to the Ranch.

Mexican food, good views. Prices are good (by ESJ standards).

La Veranda is on the ground floor. Little pricey but nicely done overlooking

the gardens, pool and beachfront.

Down a few blocks at the end of Amapola street by the Empress Hotel,

there is Sonnys/Blue Dolphin. Located right on the water. Not too fancy but the food is good and you can get Puerto Rican specialities. Thurs-Sun, it's pretty lively with live music and dancing. It's walkable from the Intercontinental but maybe a quick taxi might be better. They are

opened breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Hope this helps

I didn't have a problem with noise at the ranch - I would say it was within my tolerance level, but I could see other people having a problem. The mechanical bull was only being ridden by staff when we were there and so I can't say if "normal" people (i.e. other people eating in the restaurant) use it. Also someone else mentioned a horseshoe pit but I don't even know where that was because again no one was using it. We had 8pm reservations so I don't know if it's an early thing or what. The song and dance that the staff do is when it's someone's birthday and they are delivering desert. Once during the night (after 10pm) they put on the song "Cotton Eye Joe" and invited the people that were still there to come dance along. We did take some pictures from up there so in the next couple of days when I even get around to sorting my pictures, I'll try to post some and post the link to them.

Someone else mentioned Lupi's. We went there too. The HUGE margarita glass is just that - HUGE. It's probably akin to those fishbowl type drinks (if you've ever seen them) where everyone just puts in a straw and drinks. They had a really good beer selection too. We were pleased with our food there too so I don't think you'll be disappointed. And if there are any sports enthusiasts in your group they will be happy to know that there are plenty of tv's showing different games. Lupi's doesn't have a water view as it's on the main strip. You can find it about a block past the El San Juan (on the same side of the street). They have both indoor and outdoor seating. We went to eat at 8pm on a Saturday and it was pretty empty so I don't think you'd need reservations for that (but if it is really busy when you happen to go - don't blame me!)

Barrachino's in Old San Juan for Puerto Rican food. They claim to be the original pina colada. Ours were really tasty: on the rocks, and not too heavy from the cream of coconut. Sadly, not very strong either.

The 'local specialties' were delicious. Entrees are $12-$20. The restaurant did not look full, but they took my name and told us to come back in an hour.

Just returned from P.R. and stayed at the Marriott Stellaris.If you are looking for a great restaurant walking distance from there Yuerba Buena is the one to go to.Also for breakfast,lunch(Pizza was really good) I reccomened Danny's International.Go out of Hotel and make a left about a 3 min.walk.

If you want Tappas El Picoteo is great,for Asian Draggonfly both in Old San Juan.Tuscany in the Marriott was also very good.We felt Ajili Mojili was very overrated and we were disappointed.

Any questions please just ask.We did not cruise this time but spent a week in P.R.

We stayed 2 nights precruise at the El Convento in Old San Juan.

I second the motion for El Picoteo for tapas. No oceanview tho.... but in El Convento courtyard (convent built in 1500's now 5 star hotel) http://www.elconvento.com

also check out Pamela's http://www.numero1guesthouse.com in Condado/Isla Verde area. We ate Friday night here and was the best meal of the whole trip including the cruise !! Superb food. Right on the beach (tables and chairs ON THE BEACH if you choose) or inside courtyard dining. The tables and chairs on the beach are very close to the bldg. so only a few steps in the sand. Can't get a better view than that. Be prepared for a more European style of eating - meaning it is not a hurry up and eat place but more of an evening affair.

We had a tour guide recommend a WONDERFUL place to us. The name of it is Uvva's. It is the restaurant in the Hosteria Del Mar guesthouse in the Ocean Park sector. You have to call that number for reservations, Uvva's is not actually listed in any telephone book. It is in an open air hut (although they have abililty to close the windows, just about 75 or so yards from the shoreline. We went there on our honeymoon and loved it. Great food, small and quiet.

Archived