1st or 3rd week of July: Do 2 Weeks Make A Difference

tapia

Good afternoon.

Quick question for everyone.

If you had to choose between going on a land tour the last full week in June and cruising the first week of July OR cruising the 3rd week in July (with the land tour before), which would it be?

Mainly, my question is: Is there a huge weather difference likely? Also, Anan: When is 'prime?' I know it is in July, but do 2 weeks make a difference?

Would Denali be vastly different one week compared to another?

Thank you so much!

I'm almost leaning towards the first week in July because I can use July 4th as a regular day and take an extra vacation day to be away........

Will it make that much of a difference in Anan? Is there other bear viewing to be had at that time?

Yes it will make a difference. Early July is the very beginning of Anan, best for Anan is mid July- mid August. Nope, no other bear watching out of Ketchikan, but Pack Creek out of Juneau would be the site if you do go early July.

Yes it will make a difference. Early July is the very beginning of Anan, best for Anan is mid July- mid August. Nope, no other bear watching out of Ketchikan, but Pack Creek out of Juneau would be the site if you do go early July.

Would Pack Creek be my best bet for the following ports to Bear-Watch?

Icy Strait

Juneau

Ketchikan

Skagway

I was going to go whale-watching in Juneau. If I switched my Juneau tour, would I be able to get a great experience elsewhere?

Pack Creek would be out of Juneau, http://www.alaskabyair.com/

you can get great whale watching out of Hoonah. http://www.visithoonah.com/fishes/

Sorry BQ for 'double' asking. But, would you then suggest to not go bear-watching in Ketchikan at all, but switch to to Juneau and switch the whale watching from Captain Larry to Hoonah?

Thanks!

I can't believe the 2 weeks will kill that trip for me. oh well--c'est la vie.

Sorry BQ for 'double' asking. But, would you then suggest to not go bear-watching in Ketchikan at all, but switch to to Juneau and switch the whale watching from Captain Larry to Hoonah?

Thanks!

I can't believe the 2 weeks will kill that trip for me. oh well--c'est la vie.

If you want peak bear opportunities, then yes the two weeks makes a difference out of Ketchikan.

Yes to the above changes.

We are going to be on the O'dam from July 8 - 15 and I wasn't able to find any bear tours in Ketchikan or Juneau that still had permits available, (there are only 2 of us too!). We especially wanted to go to Anan, but alas instead we are booked with Carlin Air for Misty Fjiords. I imagin it will still be spectacular..................but I would have loved to have seen the bears! :rolleyes:

@ 6Arabianhorses: It looks like you're going at a good time!

I guess I'm just going to 'switch things up.'

Thanks BQ!

*side note: Does the forum look weird to anyone else??? (maybe it's just my computer)*

We are going to be on the O'dam from July 8 - 15 and I wasn't able to find any bear tours in Ketchikan or Juneau that still had permits available, (there are only 2 of us too!). We especially wanted to go to Anan, but alas instead we are booked with Carlin Air for Misty Fjiords. I imagin it will still be spectacular..................but I would have loved to have seen the bears! :rolleyes:

Did you inquire of the above- Alaska Fly N Fish, also http://www.southeastaviation.com http://www.islandwings.com ??

Did you inquire of the above- Alaska Fly N Fish, also www.southeastaviation.com www.islandwings.com ??

I had inquired of Island Wings and Carlin Air, but not Southeast. Thank you for their link. I have just emailed them, so hopefully will hear something back from them soon.

Yes! We are so looking forward to this trip and all the awesome things we will be seeing and doing. Thank you again for your help with so many of my questions!

Yes. close

LOL~What does the close part mean?

I really really want to see bears during 'peak' to be worth the money and have that great experience. If it meant changing my trip for 2 weeks (even without the extra day from work), then it would be worth it to me.

You are asking a question that can not be answered, :) you can go peak and still have no views. I suggest you contact the venders directly and ask for their recommendations. They keep track of their stats from prior years and can better answer.

Archived