Auto train question

Oceanwench

My experience with Amtrak has been that they are very accommodating for disabled customers. I am pretty sure the accessible cabin has upper and lower beds rather than two lower beds, you can click here to see pictures.

I look forward to hearing from others who have done this, too...

My experience with Amtrak has been that they are very accommodating for disabled customers. I am pretty sure the accessible cabin has upper and lower beds rather than two lower beds, you can click here to see pictures.

I look forward to hearing from others who have done this, too...

Thanks. I have been on the Amtrak site and have read all I can. But you know how good it is to actually have a person with mobility problems describe the actual accommodations!

For those who drive to ports in Florida, this might be a better way to go with the high cost of gasoline and the hassles of driving.

I have traveled via the Auto Train to and from Florida and used the HC Sleeper. The pictures and diagram at the website give a fairly good idea of space. The HC Sleeper occupies the width of the car at the end on the lower level with a window on both sides of the room. Upon boarding at one end two seats face each other with a small table in between. At the other end of the room is a small sink, mirror and toilet. A sliding curtain can be pulled across to separate the two ends. Your porter will provide meal service (included) in the room if you are unable to make your way to the dining car. At bedtime the two facing seats make into a bed and an upper bunk is pulled down with steps built into the wall providing access to it.

There is enough space for a wheelchair or small scooter in the room. Ramps can be provided to bypass the step up into the train car itself. If you are at all unsteady on your feet it is probably best to take your meals in your room. The motion of the train can make walking very difficult at times and it can be a long walk to the dining car.

We found the trip to be our favorite way to get to Florida. You board the train in the afternoon in Virginia and arrive in Sanford, Florida the next morning. It avoids the long drive and you are rested and ready to go when you get there.

Good luck!

Onmyjourney,

I appreciate your help in this!

DH is in a powerchair and has no mobility at all, so he will remain in the chair and in the room.

Is there enough room in the HC sleeper for his chair? He probably could not shift from his chair into one of the chairs in the room.

Is it difficult for a person with mobility problems to access the bed???

[i am concerned about its height and also how close he can get to it from his chair, so he can transfer.]

Thanks.

Oceanwench,

I'm happy to share the info. I think there would be ample room for your husbands power chair and it would probably be more comfortable for him than the sleeper seating. I often took my Pride Celebrity scooter into the room with me. There was still adequate space to ambulate about the room. Since the scooter would take more space than a power chair, you should not have a problem.

As far as the bed height, I can't give you actual measurements. The best I can offer is it is at a normal seat height. If you look at the virtual tour (night) at the Amtrak site previously posted, there is quite a bit of open space next to the head of the bed and about 3/4 of the length of the bed. The steps to the upper birth are in sidewall at the foot of the lower bed. If you have any other questions about the HC Sleeper, I will be happy to try to answer them.

Onmyjourney,

You are wonderful! Thank you again -- nothing beats first-hand information when it comes to accessibility issues.

When you take the train to Florida, are you sailing that same day? If so, out of which port?

I am wondering the time frame -- you get into Sanford at about 8:30 a.m. How long until you get your vehicle?

I think Port Everglades would be about a 3-hour drive from there. Or do you sail from Canaveral or Tampa?

It looks like the train is a good way for a person in a wheelchair to travel. Did you like the food?

Oceanwench,

My Auto Train excursions were all for land vacations on the Gulf Coast rather than prior to cruises. We often experienced delays with the Auto Train so I would advise arriving a day prior to your cruise. There can be weather delays all times of the year and there can also be equipment problems or crew problems. We've had delays due to snow, tornadoes, and even the engineer having reached the end of his on duty time. The latter required waiting until another engineer could be dispatched to run the train. One year we didn't arrive in Sanford until 5:30 in the afternoon.

The vehicles are unloaded in no particular order. We've gotten our van in about 15 minutes but also once waited 2 hours. The usual time was about a half hour to forty five minutes. It usually took us about two and a half hours to reach the Sarasota area from Sanford. I'm sorry I have no information how long it takes to drive to the East Coast destinations.

We've found the Auto Train, despite it's on time problems, to be a great way for us to travel. It would take us 3 to 4 days to do the trip by driving since I must take many rest breaks for my joints. By the train we are there overnight. It's been about 3 or 4 years since we used the Auto Train but at that time the food was good. The menu usually had a choice of beef, chicken, fish or a vegetarian entree. It won't be as good as the food on your cruise but it's adequate. There are snacks available in the lounge car and the car attendant could get bring some to the room for you. Breakfast was a continental breakfast with fruit, juice, cereal and a choice of breakfast breads.

If you give the train a try, I hope you enjoy it.

Onmyjourney,

You are a wealth of information! Thanks!

Yes, I guess delays would be possible, due to weather, staffing, mechanical difficulties, etc.

More questions: Do you have a van with a ramp [and a hydraulic system that operates it]? If so, did you have any problems with the van after getting off the train? I worry that someone driving it onto the train could damage it, although the Amtrak info says only 4 inches ground clearance is required, and we have much more than that.

What about safety of valuables? I read that you can take 2 carry-ons each [impossible for us to do, as DH can't carry much].

What about the things you have to leave in the van? Cumbersome things such as garment bags with formal wear for instance.

I will take my camera, jewelry, etc. in a carryon, plus all DH's meds.

But still, how safe are the things in your suitcase?

Oceanwench,

I remember before our first Auto Train trip how hard it was to find the answers to the same questions you are asking. I am glad to have the opportunity to help someone else.

Our van does not have a ramp. Instead I have an electric lift for loading and unloading the scooter. I have never had any damage from the Auto Train. It is important to get to the station early. We would usually go to the station late morning and register. Amtrak would place a magnetic number on the side of the van and would also give us a handicap hang tag for inside the vehicle. Then we would go into Lorton for lunch and would return to the station well before the 2 pm deadline for vans. If the weather is nice there should be an outside viewing area where you can watch the loading of the vehicles. The employees seemed to be careful in the loading. There is also an inside waiting area.

You only need to take your valuables and medications, as you mentioned, and whatever things you need for overnight in your carry-on. We easily shared one carry-on. The station agent that checks you in will give you a note asking you not to leave any valuables in your car. They especially note not leaving change in the ashtray, cameras, etc. We always stow our luggage further back in the van and have never had anything disturbed. Since we stay in our HC Sleeper room, everything we carried on with us was safe also.

If you decide to use the Auto Train, I would like hearing how the trip worked for you.

Oceanwench,

We traveled to Florida on the Autotrain several years ago with my DD who is multiply handicapped and uses a wheelchair. Ditto everything already noted - we too used the HC cabin and the all of the Amtrak personnel were incredibly accomodating. Your DH will undoubtedly not be able to climb the spiral staircase to the upstairs and then make the long walk to the dining car so the steward will be more than happy to bring your meals to you. We do have handicapped modified minivan with a power ramp which for some reason has VERY low clearance, especially with the added weight of our suitcases and such. However, Amtrak was able to accomodate us and the van with no difficulties. Hope this help..

• 3 weeks later...

We've taken the AutoTrain with our lift-equipped 1995 Astro minivan (raised roof - 2.2 meter height) without any problems. Because of the power controls (air gas & brake pedals), we require a non-disabled driver available to drive it off (meaning the spouse).

The room itself is great; plenty of space for the chair / scooter and fine access to the toilet. However, the upper bunk is stratospheric and not suitable for anyone with either claustrophobia (you have to lie down from the edge of the bunk beneath a low bulkhead) or limited climbing ability (the step ladder is merely thin, narrow steps molded into the plastic wall, not a real ladder).

If you're comfortable with these limitations, then it's a fantastic way to travel. The attendant service is fine for the meals, and the staff treatment on both ends of the trip is courteous and accommodating.

Archived