NCL Sun to Alaska - Last minute booking? - need HELP fast

mousecrazy

Considering booking the NCL Sun for May 20...inside (Cat II) $2733 including port and tax for 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 5 and 8) I'm hoping all you experienced Alaska cruisers can tell me if this is a good deal? good ship? good itinerary (Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Sawyer, Skagway)?

I've been to Alaska on HAL Oosterdam last Sept and enjoyed it. I'm looking for a relaxed, hassle free experience where my kids can have a good time in the kids program, while my dh and I get some much needed R&R...will I find this on NCL?

I have to make a decision fast, as my hold expires tomorrow at noon. TIA

That's a good price. The cabins on NCL ships are rather small though about 145 sq ft.

That is a general statement that is not true. Cabins on NCL ships come at different sizes. Let's just look at the square footage of Inside Cabins, Superior Inside Cabins / and Oceanviews and Superior Oceanviews.

Crown 160 - s160 / 150 - s160

Dawn 142 - s142 / 150 - s161

Dream 144 - s144 / 152 - s176

Jewel 142 - s142 / 150 - s161

Majesty 108 - s145 / 145 - s145

Spirit 149 - s149 / 157 - s157

Star 142 - s142 / 152 - s161

Sun 141 - s191 / 145 - s170

Wind 142 - s142 / 150 - s161

Pride of Aloha 121 - s147 / 149 - s149

Pride of America 132 - s132 / 144 - s144

Pride of Hawaii 142 - s142 / 150 - s161

We'll leave balcony cabins and suites for a different discussion. Sizes of cabins vary depending upon the ship.

The category II is one of the larger inside cabins. When we booked the Sun two years ago for Alaska, we specifically booked it because of the cabin size (which was 191 square feet). We were lucky and got an upgrade to a balcony cabin, but I peaked inside our original cat. II cabin, and it would have accomodated a family of four easily -- especially one with two fairly small children.

Considering booking the NCL Sun for May 20...inside (Cat II) $2733 including port and tax for 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 5 and 8) I'm hoping all you experienced Alaska cruisers can tell me if this is a good deal? good ship? good itinerary (Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Sawyer, Skagway)?

I've been to Alaska on HAL Oosterdam last Sept and enjoyed it. I'm looking for a relaxed, hassle free experience where my kids can have a good time in the kids program, while my dh and I get some much needed R&R...will I find this on NCL?

I have to make a decision fast, as my hold expires tomorrow at noon. TIA

This seems about an average price. We booked a week later the lower inside cabin for 2 adults and 2 kids for about $2400. Got upsold later to a minisuite for $1100 more and took it. We thought the $2400 was middle of the road, a good deal but not a give away. Obviously, though, we thought it was good enough to book!! So LOL here.

That is a general statement that is not true. Cabins on NCL ships come at different sizes. Let's just look at the square footage of Inside Cabins, Superior Inside Cabins / and Oceanviews and Superior Oceanviews.

Crown 160 - s160 / 150 - s160

Dawn 142 - s142 / 150 - s161

Dream 144 - s144 / 152 - s176

Jewel 142 - s142 / 150 - s161

Majesty 108 - s145 / 145 - s145

Spirit 149 - s149 / 157 - s157

Star 142 - s142 / 152 - s161

Sun 141 - s191 / 145 - s170

Wind 142 - s142 / 150 - s161

Pride of Aloha 121 - s147 / 149 - s149

Pride of America 132 - s132 / 144 - s144

Pride of Hawaii 142 - s142 / 150 - s161

We'll leave balcony cabins and suites for a different discussion. Sizes of cabins vary depending upon the ship.

I certainly don't consider 120s-140s sq ft cabins to be large. When compared to other cruise lines, the NCL cabins are considered small sized. As a frequent cruiser I can attest to the fact that the other major cruise lines cabins are generally larger.

This particular category of cabin, however, is 191 square feet. When I looked at a sample of ships from other lines, the Carnival inside was 185, the Royal Caribbean was 135, and the Celebrity was 180. Sounds like this one ranks right up there with any of them.

Now, if you want to go small, I'll happily admit that our inside stateroom on the Sea was not only small, but tiny (110 square feet). Didn't stop us from having a wonderful time, however, but I certainly wouldn't recommend one that size for 4 people.

This particular category of cabin, however, is 191 square feet. When I looked at a sample of ships from other lines, the Carnival inside was 185, the Royal Caribbean was 135, and the Celebrity was 180. Sounds like this one ranks right up there with any of them.

Now, if you want to go small, I'll happily admit that our inside stateroom on the Sea was not only small, but tiny (110 square feet). Didn't stop us from having a wonderful time, however, but I certainly wouldn't recommend one that size for 4 people.

Just seconding what Ute Fan has to say about the II cabins on the Sun. They really are a very good size. (We peaked at one on our last cruise on the Sun - it was actually bigger than our Outside cabin.)

Ute Fan, your Cat II cabin is a great size as it is much larger than most of he inside cabins on the Sun. You can't go wrong with this category. I can recall years ago when we first started cruisng on the Norwegan Cruise Line ships using the 10x10 inside cabins, how tough it was just to get out of bed. Have a great cruise!

Archived