calica/playa

beachgal58

We stopped in Calica a few years ago. They backed into an old gravel pit. You could get off and walk down a short ramp. They have stalls to sell typical souvenirs but not much else around. You have to take a bus to most excursions. We loved Xcaret park.

I also went there on Carnival a couple of yrs ago. You will dock and buses will be lined up to take you to your excursions. There is nothing to do at the so called dock except buy stuff from vendors. We went to Xpu Ha Beach at Playa Del Carmen....absolutely beautiful! We loved it! That area is very poor but the beach areas are beautiful!! Hope this helps.

No tendering at Calica. The ship docks there, but there's no pier. The gangplank is opened onto the shore at a working rock quarry. Not a beautiful sight, but you can grab one of the many cabs and get outta there. I have taken a cab to Playa del Carmen a coupla times. It's $10 per cab - not per person. About a 10 minute wild ride. Hang on. The public beach at PdC is nice, and there are a LOT of stores, as well as some really great restaurants on Avenue 5. Last cruise that docked there, I stayed on the ship.

Archived