Packing for a cruise

bnf

Seems that as most if not all Carnival ships have a laundry that presents many options. Do bring a "bleach pen" if you where a lot of whites as we both do.

I have over the decades purchased easy care clothes to bring: some nice looking silky fabric divers or fishermans outdoor shirts that was out in a shower and dry in ten minutes. I is male and my wife has a few as well. I like white pants and also like white "Levis" -a take from culinary school-

Also as this is a common thread: be age and activity specific. Makes a difference. I highly tout a "bug out" bag a small pack with "essential" items

for shore excursions and just roaming an island. The bag also have emergency needs items. be glad to post. It is just what one former rescue, flight medic and nurse carries.

I also pack" toss-away items: ones that look good but are donated to an island charity and allow more room for stuff we always buy.

The usual "duct tape" but all one has to do is yell down the hall "I need duct tape".

I also have a list of what medical items are best. Usually use some of my stuff on other passengers:cool: Nothing real complicated.

I'll look at my shirts and get a brand name: nice enough to wear to dinner.

Joe Doc

7 DAY Cruise Packing list

Checked in Luggage:

8 polo shirts including CC Polo shirt (Casual nights/Daytime wear)

3 Black Dress Dinner Pants (Casual/Formal Dinner nights)

2 White Dress Shirts (Formal Dinner nights)

2 Ties (Formal Dinner nights)

1 Suit (Formal Dinner nights)

1 Tennis shoes (on while traveling) (Daily wear)

1 Black Dress Shoes (Casual/Formal nights)

8 Underware / 5 T-shirts (Daily wear)

8 tube socks / 3 Black Dress socks (Casual/Formal Dinner nights)

1 Swimming shorts with pockets (Excursion wear)

3 Jean Shorts (Daily wear)

Electronics w/ Carry-on

Canon 20D Camera with all accessories

CPAP Machine with 25 ft. Cord

3 way outlet adaptor

Sony DVD Camcorder with all accessories

Dell 700m travel laptop

One set of clothing change (Polo/Black Pants,Dress shoes,Black socks, underware, t-shirt)

Note: Also plan what you will be wearing the day of Travel.

Bnf - Buncha jokesters on here.:D

If you mean clothing - Pack as lightly as possible. You won't wear half of what you bring. I mix and match my outfits for evenings, one pair of black strappy heels that will go w/all. For daytime, I take several pair of shorts that match several shirts, tennies of slides for on deck and at ports. Swimming suits/coverups. The usual assortment of lingerie, nighties. (Most cabins have robes, so don't bother with that.)

Personal items - Although there is an amenity basket/bowl in the bathroom, they are sample-sized items. The shower has two dispensers - one for a shampoo/conditioner combo, and the other is body wash. Some cabins have hairdryers, but they aren't strong, so best to take your own. (I also take a small med. kit with Tylenol, bandaids, Neosporin, Bonine, sunscreen, etc.) Things like this are available on the ship, but they are pricey.

Necessary to me - Lighted dial travel alarm clock, Highliter pen to mark events I don't want to miss, my own ash tray (the ones they provide are not as safe), lots of $1 bills to tip room service delivery folks, Cokes, and a coupla bottles of wine (the steward will get you a corkscrew and wine glasses if you ask.)

That's about all I can think of.:)

7 DAY Cruise Packing list

Checked in Luggage:

8 polo shirts including CC Polo shirt (Casual nights/Daytime wear)

3 Black Dress Dinner Pants (Casual/Formal Dinner nights)

2 White Dress Shirts (Formal Dinner nights)

2 Ties (Formal Dinner nights)

1 Suit (Formal Dinner nights)

1 Tennis shoes (on while traveling) (Daily wear)

1 Black Dress Shoes (Casual/Formal nights)

8 Underware / 5 T-shirts (Daily wear)

8 tube socks / 3 Black Dress socks (Casual/Formal Dinner nights)

1 Swimming shorts with pockets (Excursion wear)

3 Jean Shorts (Daily wear)

Electronics w/ Carry-on

Canon 20D Camera with all accessories

CPAP Machine with 25 ft. Cord

3 way outlet adaptor

Sony DVD Camcorder with all accessories

Dell 700m travel laptop

One set of clothing change (Polo/Black Pants,Dress shoes,Black socks, underware, t-shirt)

Note: Also plan what you will be wearing the day of Travel.

Eliminate 90% of the above. Travel light. Enjoy!!!:)

Wennfred,

Actually I think your list is very comprehensive and reasonable. I just saved it on the computer for DH. The only thing that will change is he brings several colors of Docker type pants. He actually even brings his CPAP but only a 15ft cord

Sue

Wennfred,

Actually I think your list is very comprehensive and reasonable. I just saved it on the computer for DH. The only thing that will change is he brings several colors of Docker type pants. He actually even brings his CPAP but only a 15ft cord

Sue

Thanks Sue, The list is from many years of cruising, every time I get home, I pull out what I didnt wear, and write it down on a piece of paper and stick it back into the Luggage for future use. So far that list above is Perfect. Everything fits in a mediam size luggage and now I have room for all of Wendys 20 pairs of shoes and her LARGE Costco size bottle of conditioner.

Sorry ladies, I cant help you in the Packing Department, I can only list what we Men could pack.

One thing I forgot to mention in my Carry On, the basic Mens Toiletries from shaver, toothbrush, shaving cream and hair gel.

Thanks Sue, The list is from many years of cruising, every time I get home, I pull out what I didnt wear, and write it down on a piece of paper and stick it back into the Luggage for future use.

We are going on our 10th next year and you would think we would have it down by now. LOL. We travel too much the rest of the year to leave notes in the suitcases so that wouldn't work I guess I will have to think of something else. All our cruises so far have been 7 day the next is 11 day we will probably over pack again. oh well , there are worse things!!!

Also, a good tip would be to pack a power strip. The cabins typically only have one electical outlet.

Glad you brought that up. I forgot to mention it. I don't take a big power strip, but one of those small 3" adapters. It plugs into the ONE outlet in the cabin, and will service three appliances. 79 cents at WalMart.

Another thing - I have always had a "travel drawer" in one of my dressers at home. Everything in that one drawer that I know I'll need whenever I decide to take any kind of trip. Saves running around gathering up 'stuff'.:D

If you want to see the ulitmate packing list, taken to the nth extreme go to:

http://www.geocities.com/Calgon1/Ultimate_Packing_List.html

I still refer to it when packing, because there could not be one thing you would not have with you if you took everything on his list.

My tip-

pack light, use the laundry service onboard for undies and shorts and Ts.

My computer pack list is a lifesaver when packing for a family of four.

I also regenerate a computer "load" list to make sure that:

A> I loaded all my luggage (each piece listed individually to check off)

B> Stopped the mail

C> Locked the back gate

etc

The only thing I would add would be a Renuzit Solid Air Freshener for the bathroom.

I never bring more than fits in a carry on - it can be done for 7 day cruise easily. Just make sure all separates & shoes go with everything you bring. I usually write a list a week before I go & hone it down to only what I need. I plan what I wear on what day. I always have enough to wear & always wear everything I bring (sometimes bring one extra casual- dressy thing if you want to change for tea). It makes me sick when my sister brings 10 pairs of shoes for 7 day cruise - typical ugly America. Another thing I always do- bring old underwear,socks & nighties & throw them away at the end- leaves you room to bring things back.

Archived