Marva Shaw in Ocho Rios

I am in a wheelchair and recently took my first cruise to Jamaica and Grand Cayman. When setting up the excursions, I ran into a lot of problems with getting a wheelchair accessible tour bus with a lift. Someone turned me onto Marva Shaw and she took care of me. She met me and my family at the pier, I transferred into the front seat of her van, we put the wheelchair in the back of the van, and she gave us a great 4 hour tour of Jamaica. She was a huge help and it made me feel at ease knowing that I could experience this with my family.

There were 5 of us in the group and Marva charged us $120 for four hours. She met us at the pier, stayed longer with us, brought us wherever we wanted to go, and suggested places the kids (14, 13, and 10 years old) might want to see. She then left us off back at the pier. We ended up paying her $150 for roughly 6 hours. From what we heard from other cruisers, we got a very good deal. Hard to beat a personel tour guide on a foreign island.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

We used A-z planners in Ocho Rios, Walter was wonderful. He had a van with ramps and my Dh was able to stay in his chair the whole time. We plan to use him again in Nov. He even stopped to put air in my DH's tires.

I want to ask did you find any HC transportion in Grand Caymen? Our ship could not tender, but hopefully in Nov we will be able to.

In Cozomel they do have WC vans but make sure you watch you heads, my Dh nearly broke his neck (again). They had a lift but not door cut so he had to bend his neck which he cann't do. I had to jump on the lift and pull is whole body over to get in and out of the door.

In Grand Cayman we used Captain Marvins. They do not have a wc accessible bus but the people working carried me from my wheelchair to the bus and then from the bus to the boat. When it came time to snorkel, they picked me up and placed me on the edge of the boat. They pulled me out of the water when it was time to go. I left my wheelchair at the office. They were very helpful and I highly recommend them if you don't have a problem with getting carried. Look at it this way...you probably will never see these people again. Hope this helps.

Archived