Bottles/Cans on airplane checked luggage

oooohDonna

WooHoo, leaving for Galveston today for cruise tomorrow.

I am being told, by relatives, that cans, soda/beer, champagne bottles, etc. would basically explode in my checked luggage due to pressure.

Is that true? If so, that's gonna make for a heavy carry-on :eek:

Thanks to the board for all the great information and making my first cruise a great one!

Bottles and/or cans will not explode in your checked bags. If that were the case everyones checked bags would be a giant mess of hair gell, shave cream and other products that are in plastic or metal containers. Your "stash" will survive:)

I travel with cans, etc. all the time. The pressure in the cargo hold is the same as in the cabin. (Ever noticed that most pets travel down there?)

As long as your cans are not damaged before getting on the plane they will be fine. In fact they do better than plastic bottles. (A fun thing to do to see the effect of the cabin pressure changes is to take a plastic bottle of soda on the plane. Open it before you board and drink some of it . Open it at altitude again, and then seal it tight. As you descend watch how it gets squeezed. This is why ears hurt sometimes too.)

Just be sure you have the cap on everything. I one time traveled without a cap on my hairspray and when I got to Vegas there was none left in the can, it was all over my bag :o Stupid, yeah, but never again. Also, will you have time to buy the things before your cruise? That's what we plan to do to save on weight. Have a wonderful cruise.

I am being told, by relatives, that cans, soda/beer, champagne bottles, etc. would basically explode in my checked luggage due to pressure.

Thanks to the board for all the great information and making my first cruise a great one!

------------------------------------------------------------------------Whats the rush think you wont find a grocery store in the day your in galveston ---

No problem, if you have the space and extra weight limit. I pack my cans or bottles in bubble wrap for extra security. Have done this for 6 cruises with no mishap. Bon Voyage!

------------------------------------------------------------------------Whats the rush think you wont find a grocery store in the day your in galveston ---

I agree! Why carry the weight and risk ruining your clothing. Make those purchases once you land. There are liquor stores and grocery stores everywhere. Bring your bubblewrap, wrap them up, and then put them in your suitcase before boarding.

There wouldn't be a pressure problem, it would be lack thereof. Bags of chips routinely explode - the strength of a beer can or champagne bottle is usually higher. But when the gorillas toss the suitcases around, something else inside your suitcase could crush, puncture, or compromise the seal. Pack it, but pack it well or at least so any spill is contained. Particularyl if packing cold duck. :eek:

I don't believe there is any suitable store within close walking distance of the pier. The Strand is just a block over, but not easily accessible. It is mostly novelty stores, so selection is limited and mostly by-the-can or bottle.

There are plenty of Walmarts and grocery stores along IH45 on the way to Galveston, but for someone taking a shuttle I doubt stopping is an option.

WHy would you want to fly with liquor or soda, too much hassel, but if you are talking about things like hair spray, deodorant, and that type stuff, by all means pack it and don't worry about it.

I don't believe there is any suitable store within close walking distance of the pier. The Strand is just a block over, but not easily accessible. It is mostly novelty stores, so selection is limited and mostly by-the-can or bottle.

There are plenty of Walmarts and grocery stores along IH45 on the way to Galveston, but for someone taking a shuttle I doubt stopping is an option.

--------===============packing that crap isnt worth it or just take a cab to where you need to go for goodies and supplies packing soda or wine on a plane is sick and a hassel for petes sake!!!! Dont get me started already lol

Archived