Amsterdam to Rotterdam with luggage

stipmom

I just booked the Century for May 2007. Will fly in a few days early for Amsterdam sightseeing but the ship actually leaves from Rotterdam. What would be the best way to get to Rotterdam with luggage? Thanks

I am sure Celebrity will offer transfers by that time.

Otherwise indeed the train, but from the station in Rotterdam you either have to take a cab, the metro or the tram. The last 2 not great with luggage however.

From the airport schiphol there are small shuttlebuses that can bring you there too. check www.schiphol.nl for fares and more details.

Another option can be to take connecting flights to Rotterdam airport by transfering at London. There are a few daily flights. However you miss Amsterdam then.

I donot understand why Celebrity choose Rotterdam (maybe lower portcharges?) as it is not very convenient for arriving and departing passengers.

Just tell him the big cruise terminal, there is just 1 in Amsterdam. It is about 1 mile east of Central station near the Muziektheater (Musictheatre).

Be sure to take a registered cab outside of the terminal. The guys inside the terminal offering their services are sometimes "illegal"cabdrivers.

I will also add that driving a rental car is a good option for some travelers. Last summer, we picked up a car at the end of our Amsterdam visit and drove to the port of Rotterdam via a two-night stop in The Hague (great homebase for not only that town, but also Delft and the seashore). I think even if we had not made the side-trip, we would have rented a car to make the transfer from Amsterdam directly to the port of Rotterdam. That is a quick and easy trip (between 1-2 hours depending on your starting/ending points and traffic). It is certainly convenient in terms of luggage handling. It is probably more economical than other options, certainly so if you have more than 2 in your party (we travel as 4). Driving in the Netherlands is easy for those of us coming from North America used to driving on the right side of the road, plus signage and road conditions are excellent.

Whatever you decide, stipmom, have fun!

Archived