Another dining room attire question......

Fun~N~Sun

On NON FORMAL nights in the dining room would my 20 year old son be okay to wear kakhi's (the kind with lots of pockets like young guys wear) with a t-shirt and a button up shirt overtop left open? This is way he dresses all the time and I told him I thought he would be fine. No shorts, not just a t-shirt, he will have on a shirt with a collar overtop (unbuttoned and left open). Also, is he okay to wear sandals to the dining room?

On NON FORMAL nights in the dining room would my 20 year old son be okay to wear kakhi's (the kind with lots of pockets like young guys wear) with a t-shirt and a button up shirt overtop left open? This is way he dresses all the time and I told him I thought he would be fine. No shorts, not just a t-shirt, he will have on a shirt with a collar overtop (unbuttoned and left open). Also, is he okay to wear sandals to the dining room?

I think it sounds just fine. My DH wore sandals in the dining room each night (except formal nights) and he looked nice each evening.

I know 'the look' you're talking about. Better than just a tee shirt, I guess, but still a bit too casual with the shirt hanging open. I see that (on teenagers) a lot around here, and they look like they just didn't finish dressing.

I think a 20 yr. old could dress a little nicer, and sandals don't equate with a formal dining setting, even on casual nights. You asked. That's my opinion. Hope y'all have a great cruise.:)

He will not be barred from the dining room dressed as you described. And, sadly he will present better than some others. However why not teach him that different situations require different attire. His Denny's or Outback dress really isn't proper for a semi-formal dining room, even on resort casual or casual nites.

Again if he dresses in his normal rig, he'll look better than some. But he might catch a female eye dressed better.

Dan

He will not be barred from the dining room dressed as you described. And, sadly he will present better than some others. However why not teach him that different situations require different attire. His Denny's or Outback dress really isn't proper for a semi-formal dining room, even on resort casual or casual nites.

Again if he dresses in his normal rig, he'll look better than some. But he might catch a female eye dressed better.

Dan

I think if I were young girl in this day and age and I saw a 20 year old guy come into a dining room in dress pants with a shirt tucked in with dress shoes on...I'd probably think what a dork and look the other way.

So... is the goal of his dining in the the dining room, to hook up with some women and get some...? :eek:

I just wanted him to be comfortable without looking like he was going to sing in the church choir but not be offensive to anyone. First of all if I told him he had to wear dress pants with a shirt tucked in with dress shoes he would tell me he wasn't going. I can't say that I would blame him especially on a vacation. The last thing I want to be on vacation is formal particularly in the tropics. If we were sailing to Europe that would be a different situation. I'm sure others have a different opinion of being formal but this is mine so save it.

I just wanted him to be comfortable without looking like he was going to sing in the church choir but not be offensive to anyone. First of all if I told him he had to wear dress pants with a shirt tucked in with dress shoes he would tell me he wasn't going. I can't say that I would blame him especially on a vacation. The last thing I want to be on vacation is formal particularly in the tropics. If we were sailing to Europe that would be a different situation. I'm sure others have a different opinion of being formal but this is mine so save it.

Then why did you even bother asking? :confused:

Then why did you even bother asking? :confused:

I didn't know if this type of dress would be appropriate for the dining room since this is our first cruise. If it wasn't would wouldn't go there we would eat elsewhere. Apparently according to the standards of most and according to other threads about dining room attire he will be fine on

NON FORMAL nights. My daughter and I plan to where capri's to diner and my husband will wear casual pants and a polo shirt. We are not planning on participating in formal nights. You don't know until you ask right? Isn't that what these boards are for? Thanks big_d*ck!

First of all if I told him he had to wear dress pants with a shirt tucked in with dress shoes he would tell me he wasn't going.

And you are allowing this...? Tell him to stay home then. He's 20 years old... Time to grow up... He doesn't need to be babied anymore... :rolleyes:

I agree with big duck. At 20 yrs of age he is considered a man, and in my humble opinion should dress like it. I don't understand his wanting to look like he's 15 yrs old. It's up to parents to teach social graces, and if that is too much of a problem, I'm sure he will have fun at home or at the beach. The dining room is a very formal environment.

I didn't know if this type of dress would be appropriate for the dining room since this is our first cruise. If it wasn't would wouldn't go there we would eat elsewhere. Apparently according to the standards of most and according to other threads about dining room attire he will be fine on

NON FORMAL nights. My daughter and I plan to where capri's to diner and my husband will wear casual pants and a polo shirt. We are not planning on participating in formal nights. You don't know until you ask right? Isn't that what these boards are for? Thanks big_d*ck!

Read your capers it tells you what is allowed or not on each night for dinner.. My SO wore cargo pants the 2 nights we did end up going to dinner as it was casual dining.. no shorts or tshirts

I agree with big duck. At 20 yrs of age he is considered a man, and in my humble opinion should dress like it. I don't understand his wanting to look like he's 15 yrs old. It's up to parents to teach social graces, and if that is too much of a problem, I'm sure he will have fun at home or at the beach. The dining room is a very formal environment.

What would you suggest he wear? By the way have you noticed the way most 20 year old college kids dress.... he dresses like the most of the 20 year old "men" his age. In fact... probably even a little better.

How is a shirt with tshirt underneath.. and cargo pants looking like a 15yr old.. Pls my SO wore something similar and he is 28.. and this is acceptable attire on a non formal night as it is casual attire.

From Carnival

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same.

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly, and have a casual dress code.

Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit

Pls my SO wore something similar and he is 28.. and this is acceptable attire on a non formal night as it is casual attire.

And Carnival's answer to casual attire:

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly, and have a casual dress code.

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit

How is this different than what I described....slacks and a neatly ironed buttton up shirt, sandals....if this is not "casual resort wear" I guess the islands and tropics are not the laid back, easy going atmosphere I have heard of all my life or saw in the Bahamas.

And Carnival's answer to casual attire:

Well cargo pants are slacks.. They are khakis or whatever colour that mostly everyone wears.. We did do the alternative dining as well.. since we chose to for go formal dinners..

What today is considered a slack.. I consider that an old term for polyester pants with an elastic waist.. slacks have come along way.. and cargo khakis to me look 10 times better then those :rolleyes:

quote=Fun~N~Sun]What would you suggest he wear?

Dockers and a golf shirt would be nice, and maybe shoes like Topsiders? Nice, casual, befitting an almost-adult 20 yr. old.

By the way have you noticed the way most 20 year old college kids dress.... he dresses like the most of the 20 year old "men" his age. In fact... probably even a little better.

Dressing for the college classroom is not exactly the same as dressing for a formal dining room setting.:rolleyes:

Blah blah blah!!!

No shorts no t-shirts and he will be fine. He's an adult let him make the choice.

On non formal nights capris fit in fine my DF wore them on our last cruise and she wasn't alone.

Most don't really care what your wearing.....Just don't come nekkid! :eek:

Nekkid is Oklahomas version of your Birthday suit! :eek:

How is a shirt with tshirt underneath.. and cargo pants looking like a 15yr old.. Pls my SO wore something similar and he is 28.. and this is acceptable attire on a non formal night as it is casual attire.

Thank you. I agree about the 15 year old comment. Like I said most college "men" who are 20 dress this way. I would never think of him dressing like this on formal night. HE wouldn't think of dressing that way on formal night....he just wouldn't go to formal night which is what we agreed to anyway. The word formal doesn't go with the words, vacation, cruise, islands, sun, tropics....

I think if I were young girl in this day and age and I saw a 20 year old guy come into a dining room in dress pants with a shirt tucked in with dress shoes on...I'd probably think what a dork and look the other way.

I'm 24, so maybe I'm not quite 20, but...

If the dress pants and shirt fit well (ie-not grandpa pants up to his belly button!), I would be impressed and think "sucessful guy who has it together." If I saw the OP's son with his cargo pants (the pants with all the pockets) and an untucked shirt, I would think "careless slob." Honestly, how many 20-somethings do you see wearing cargo pants and untucked t-shirts to good jobs?

My DH is an engineer, and since he was 19 and working he has worn dress pants, tucked in shirts, and nice dress shoes. His clothes are fitted to be young and modern (flat front dress pants, slim fit shirts, etc). Whenever I see him all ready for work (or dinner on the ship), I think to myself, "wow, how did I get such a successful, intelligent, put together guy!"

I guess it depends on what type of girl you are trying to attract! I can certainly see the TEENS swooning over a guy dressed like the OP mentioned. But, I think most 20-25 year olds wouldn't be all that impressed. Different stage in life.

This is what I am talking about:

http://www.expressfashion.com/images/db/outfit/large_300x410_10361.jpg

Versus this:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=182940&CategoryID=91&LinkType=EverGreen

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be appropriate for dinner, he won't be the worst dressed by far. It's his cruise, don't make it unenjoyable for him. But, sooner or later he will probably need some nicer clothes. Might want to give him the option of working on his wardrobe now?? If he doesn't want to, let him enjoy his time. Just make sure those sandals don't smell like sweaty feet! Hehe...

Archived