Southampton Super Sunday!

guernseyguy

Anybody have info on what is being done to this gracefull lady during this refit? cheers Myles

I spoke to a senior hotel officer on the January crossing and he said there was going to be a lot of work on the galleys - including cutting a hole in the side of the ship to remove & replace equipment. I also think (was on 3rd widow's unction - or was it the 4th....but I digress) they are going to upgrade the Pavillion Cafe so they can do more food there than currently. There may well be other upgrades going on - this officer was talking about the ones that affected his area of operation.

Peter

On second thoughts. Make that caviar and champers.

Much more likely! IIRC when the QE2 was adrift without power for a day or so in the '70s (when things were run so much better:rolleyes:) as they could not pump water to the cabins, people had to brush their teeth in champagne......

Peter

PS

If anyone is interested in the long list of aches & pains an elderly lady like the QE2 has seen to during an overhaul - see here:

http://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=6725418

The list of corroded/corroding tank tops is a sign of her age....its this that will ultimately do her in - not the outer hull. One day the cost of repairing/replacing this will become prohibitive, then its lights out. Compare it to the much shorter list for the QM2;

http://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=9241061

they are going to upgrade the Pavillion Cafe so they can do more food there than currently.

To be honest, I have to wonder what the point of that is - the Lido is after all right up the stairs from the Pavillion and has pretty much every food option one could want.

This is her first drydocking under Princess ownership so it will be interesting to see what is done. Given all the cosmetic work that has already goine on, I am not surprised that it seems that it is mostly "behind-the-scenes" sort of work that will be done.

To be honest, I have to wonder what the point of that is - the Lido is after all right up the stairs from the Pavillion and has pretty much every food option one could want.

I think the idea is to provide 'poolside snacks' a la Boardwalk Cafe - burgers, pizza, chips/fries - the buffet in the lido is a fair trek back in a bathing suit!

As to the refit - there is a considerable list on the Lloyds Classlist!

Peter

La Soufleuresse, Rue Du Hamel, CastelLa Soufleuresse, Rue Du Hamel, Castel

La Soufleuresse, Rue Du Hamel, Castel

La Soufleuresse, Rue Du Hamel, Castel

Opps Peter,

Many thanks for that, l skipped the messages to quickly and missed the link out.!

Will need to look out my plans:eek: of the old girl and pour over them to see where all these items of work are being carried out at......

But that is another story;)

Wotec,

Do you have any specifics on Capt. McNaught's return to the QE2? We are on the Christmas extravaganza this year and would dearly love to sail under him again. We were on the Trafalgar celebration trip last year and so sailed with him on his final voyage before the move to Princess.

Capt. McNaught is scheduled to return to QE2 Nov 17 but don't know when he leaves. Isn't rotation every 2 months? Jan 22 2007 is LA (where there is always a big crew change). This would mean Capt McNaught would bring QE2 on the TransAtlantic at the beginning of the World Cruise. My bet is Capt Rynd will return to QE2 in LA as he likes the Australia / New Zealand section (where is hails from). Capt Rynd is doing his first round on QMary2 beginning this May. So there is always the possibility that Rynd may be doing Mary's first world cruise. Capt Bates just finished World Cruise QE2, not sure who is coming on QE2 after refit, obviously not Rynd since he is set to go to Mary. We should start a thread on Captain status? Someone is looking for former Cunard Capt Paul Wright (now over at Princess) status on another thread. Let's hope Q Victoria first captain will be a Cunarder. Capt Rynd is a nice man and I believe he is well respected as a Captain but personally I hope to see a captain with long Cunard history at the helm of Cunard vessel.

Thanks Wotec for the update on the various Captains' whereabouts.

It seems to me that once Capt. Wright and Capt. McNaught return, Cunard will have too many captains for a while (until QUEEN VICTORIA enters service)! Five captains for two ships is rather a lot.

I wonder if one of them is going to be based on land in Italy for a while to supervise QUEEN VICTORIA's construction as "master-designate"... I believe Commodore Warwick did this with QM2, but QV is P&O Princess' baby, and I don't know if this is something they do. If they did, that would leave the other two ships with two masters each, as usual.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear that Capt. McNaught will be returning to QE2, as I know many of her regular passengers missed him. I do hope Capt. Rynd returns to her sometime, as I think he was growing fond of the old girl! That said, I am sure he is looking forward to QM2 as well.

I wonder if one of them is going to be based on land in Italy for a while to supervise QUEEN VICTORIA's construction as "master-designate"... I believe Commodore Warwick did this with QM2, but QV is P&O Princess' baby, and I don't know if this is something they do.

Yes, they do - they did for ARCADIA, formerly of this parish, had Captain Burgoine 'on board' well before the maiden voyage.

Peter

Host Doug - have you heard that Capt Paul Wright is coming back to QE2? I have not that he actually is coming back , but am hoping. Wright, McNaught, Bates, Rynd...who is the fifth captain for QE2 to whom you refer? I must have been snoozin' and missed something. Thanks

ARCADIA, formerly of this parish, had Captain Burgoine 'on board' well before the maiden voyage.

In that case, I would not be surprised if the same will happen with QUEEN VICTORIA.

Host Doug - have you heard that Capt Paul Wright is coming back to QE2?

I recall reading somewhere that he will return to Cunard later this year, but that will be to QM2, not QE2. I believe he had already joined QM2 before he was seconded to Princess, and will be returning to her.

Wright, McNaught, Bates, Rynd...who is the fifth captain for QE2 to whom you refer?

That would be Bernie Warner, who joined QM2 from Princess last year.

A little birdy told me that David Perkins was coming back to QE2 along with Ian McNaught.... Nick Bates hasn't done a 'proper' trip with Princess yet, so he may be going over there for a little like the rest have done.

As for the previous posts regarding the tank tops on QE2 vs QM2's 'Compare it to the much shorter list for the QM2', well thats obvious seeing as one ship is knocking on 40, and the other has just turned 2!! OK, the tank top's do need a bit of work, but at the end of the day plenty of steel has been replaced over the years, and so will lots more! If they are spending so much money on replacing galley equipment, redoing the garbage room, fitting new radars/autopilots, etc etc, then I am sure they won't let the tank tops stop them!

In my opinion we won't see the end of QE2 until she stops making money, and at the moment she's making quite a lot of it - so keep sailing on her!

My mother told me never to reveal any sources - you never know who might be listening!!! Seriously though, I'd rather not say, but it's all true...

On another note of whats been done, did anyone notice the addition of the new fanroom up on top? The large white block just behind the mast.. Or the behind the scenes upgrade of the crew accomodation.. or the new bar in the wardroom...Last refit all of the open lifeboats were taken to a boatyard, and had all the wood replaced....they are having, or have had had new engines... All of these things point towards the ship staying put. After all, ship owners are renowned for being 'tight' with money, and wouldn't spend it for nothing!

:D

Archived