Muster Drill Laws

LVScooby

My understanding is the cruise has to hold a muster drill for all passengers within 24 hours of embarking.

If a passenger embarks at a port a couple days into the cruise, is there a penalty the cruiseline could suffer if they don't offer a muster drill to the later arriving passengers?

My understanding is the cruise has to hold a muster drill for all passengers within 24 hours of embarking.

If a passenger embarks at a port a couple days into the cruise, is there a penalty the cruiseline could suffer if they don't offer a muster drill to the later arriving passengers?

pax boarding a few days later will be advised where to go and at what time for a private muster drill === you will be with all pax that boarded at the same port you did

Honest this is true, on our cruise a few years back, we were all ready and waiting for the muster drill when a anouncement came over the speaker that said the muster drill has been canceled do to rain, it was barley sprinkling at the time, and the muster stations are all covered.

nothing else was said and they did not do a drill late on after the sprinkles had stopped.

I have been to many drills and know what to do but many people would not have known what to do incase of an emergency.

We were VERY surprised with Feb. cruise on Costa Magica. The muster drill was at 9AM, first day at sea! We had just left the dining room but there were other passengers who were starting breakfast and they were not told to leave, they just stayed and finished their breakfast.

We have been on ships that take roll by name or cabin. At least one ship notified all passengers who were not there to meet the following morning for their muster. They used to tell everyone how to jump off the ship and made sure EVERYONE had their life jacket on properly. We have also had muster only in the lounge, never going on deck or we meet there then walk to our muster station. Certainly hope we never have to remember what they tell us!

We were VERY surprised with Feb. cruise on Costa Magica. The muster drill was at 9AM, first day at sea! We had just left the dining room but there were other passengers who were starting breakfast and they were not told to leave, they just stayed and finished their breakfast.

We have been on ships that take roll by name or cabin. At least one ship notified all passengers who were not there to meet the following morning for their muster. They used to tell everyone how to jump off the ship and made sure EVERYONE had their life jacket on properly. We have also had muster only in the lounge, never going on deck or we meet there then walk to our muster station. Certainly hope we never have to remember what they tell us!

After being a passenger on the Star Princess, I was very glad that I had paid attention to the muster drill. Truly this is a very important part of the cruise, and it is for your safety. At the very least, be aware of where your muster station is.

is there a penalty the cruiseline could suffer if they don't offer a muster drill to the later arriving passengers?

I'll hit two of your points.

The first is answered in: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/cruiseship.htm

Emergency Drills. Coast Guard regulations and SOLAS require that the master of an ocean cruise ship periodically hold fire and lifeboat drills. They are intended not only to give the crew practice, but also to show the passengers how to act in the event of an emergency at sea. Passengers should participate fully in these drills. The timing and frequency of the drills depends in large part on the length of the voyage. On voyages that will last more than one week, the first drill will be held before the ship gets underway (passengers who embark at the last minute sometimes miss this drill), with additional drills at least once a week thereafter. On voyages of one week or less, the drills must be held within 24 hours after leaving port.

The second - wrt penalty - is a complicated issue. If you read all the information @ the link (only 1 page) you will see that USCG inspects ships that load passangers at US ports. This is 'jurisdiction'. USCG can inspect these ship when in the US. And a ship that fails the inspection can be prohibited from loading passangers. That's US regulations. If the ship is not in the US, there's nothing USCG can do to... USCG won't fine the ship - just say they can't load 'cargo'. In this case people. I am not aware of a law that provides fines in this case tho - whereas there are laws for dumping oil, or not keeping records about disposal of oil does provide fines....big fines.

My belief is that you learn alot about the overall operation of the cruise line and the individual vessel by observing the attention paid to the drill...most of us don't get to see the crew doing a fire drill, or a lifeboat drill. But we all get the chance to see how the crew performs this drill. On some ships you will see officers checking things very carefully. And some ships say "it is raining....lets skip it" .... :rolleyes: Which way would you like it? Ask that person from STAR ....

The captain and crew of the Star Princess did an outstanding job during the fire. Crew members were in place with their Muster caps, life jackets etc directing passengers to their muster stations. Helping to keep people calm etc. We actuallly had to use a crew only stairwell to leave our area due to smoke, and saw the crew donning protective coveralls, and air tanks as they were heading to fight the fire. It is something I don't want to see again, but would be confident sailing again.

If anyone has any questions regarding this experience just ask. I will say that we learned it is important to follow direction. Listen to the roll call, and stay calm.

Archived