Thoughts on Alaskan itinerary

christianmom5

We're looking at taking an Alaskan cruise in Aug.,2006. The Dawn Princess has some great prices, but there have been some posters that have complained about the itinerary. The ship docks at Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria, Canada (from 7:30-11:30pm), and cruises the Tracy Arm. What are your thoughts? What are the highlights of an Alaskan cruise?

Thanks for your help!

We're looking at taking an Alaskan cruise in Aug.,2006. The Dawn Princess has some great prices, but there have been some posters that have complained about the itinerary. The ship docks at Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria, Canada (from 7:30-11:30pm), and cruises the Tracy Arm. What are your thoughts? What are the highlights of an Alaskan cruise?

Thanks for your help!

I personally think it's a great itenerary. At least in Juneau, the Princess ships dock at a private facility with their own excursion sales office, so you don't have to worry about booking the excursions you want so far in advance. The dock sales office always has spots available, and they even offer a few tours that aren't sold on board the ships...

-Case

The routing is too much outside passage sailing for my scenery preferences. :) But all cruises are compromises, including this one. If the price is right, worthwhile for any cruise to Alaska.

But I do disagree on just picking tours from the dock, always do your homework and have plans and reservations in place before you leave. Meaning determine if your "plan" is to take a tour from the dock. You can end up wasting a great deal of valuable time, of which the prior booking is better. Rarely do the dock "tours" leave immediately, so you are wandering for an hour or two waiting. Just determine if the wandering is what you wish to do. :)

Tracy Arm in its entirety is fabulous with steep granite-walled canyons and awesome waterfalls, then terminating at the Sawyer Glaciers. Truly breathtaking. The glaciers are beautiful also, and were quite active on our small boat tour last June with AdventureBound out of Juneau. That excursion was a memorable part of our trip, and I won't hesitate to go again.

However, if you're more interested in glacier sailing aboard ship (and I don't know that you are), consider an itinerary with Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. I don't believe there's any comparison with regard to them and the Sawyer Glaciers. Sailing the arm to the Sawyer Glaciers is as much the highlight as the glaciers themselves.

Glaciers are the highlight of an Alaskan cruise for me... I just find them to be simply magnificent. Closely followed by the rest of the scenery, wild-life, marine-life, and historical/cultural interest.

Our first cruise to Alaska was last September out of Seattle on the Sapphire Princess. Tracy Arm was the highlight for me--waterfalls, mountains, changing colors (fall), and the glacier at the end. I was out on the balcony ohhhing and ahhing for what seemed like hours. It was a great "first taste" of Alaska as I found out when I got back and realized I had to go further-hence the cruise planned for this May which goes to Glacier Bay & College Fjord with precruise tour inland. Luckily, I live in Seattle and it is not too hard to cruise Alaska more than once. However, if you think you might only make it once, try to include Glacier Bay. (It'll save you $$$ in the long run) :D :D :D

sheri

Archived