Can you really use the tubs in the bathroom?

guyOnShore

We usually just fill it with punch and add a little of the rum that we sneaked on the ship in our luggage.....a big puchbowl!

Not sure I understand your answer, but I guess it was a joke :D

If I was going to do that I would fill the tub with rum and add a little punch :D :D

This may be a stupid question, but are the bathtubs really usable on board? My DW loves to soak in a tub rather than shower!

Which cruise line are you looking at? What type of stateroom?

On those lines, if you want a bathtub you have to go up to a suite. Most regular staterooms, including balconies, only have showers. In fact, I think that HAL is the only line that has bathtubs in all its outside staterooms.

The only thing I know is the DW wants an outside cabin with a balcony. I think we have it down to either RCCL, Princess or NCL.

Unless you get a higher grade cabin, like a suite, you will have a shower stall only. I can't remember if the Princess mini-suites have tubs or not.

On those lines, if you want a bathtub you have to go up to a suite. Most regular staterooms, including balconies, only have showers. In fact, I think that HAL is the only line that has bathtubs in all its outside staterooms.

Thank you very much, guess I have a lot more home work to do :mad:

Thank you very much, guess I have a lot more home work to do :mad:

If you are willing to spend a little more money, you can go up to a Junior Suite on Royal Caribbean and get a bathtub if it is that important to you.

Back in the old days, when the great ocean liners were the only way to cross between Europe and North America, and anywhere else in the world, the ships had bellboys, teenage boys who did things like open doors and deliver messages.

On the Cunard Line, at least, the bellboys also came to the first class cabins to fill the bathtubs for the passengers.

Eventually, sometime in the late 1930's, this practise was discontinued.

Too many bellboys were complaining that some passengers, of both genders, would "make advances" while in the bathroom. More than one bellboy left the cabin soaking wet, after being pulled into the bath by an indiscreet passenger.

[/url]

Back then, the bathtubs had faucets for a fresh water or a salt water bath. Salt water baths were considered very therapeutic. You can still see this in the cabins on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, although the salt water taps no longer function.

Up into the 1970's not all cabins had bathtubs or even showers, even in first class. For those that didn't, there were bath rooms, literally rooms to go take a bath. You had to make an appointment and there was a special steward or stewardess assigned to the bath rooms.

Nowdays, we're happy to get a cabin with a shower large enough to not have to do the "shower curtain dance", so that the shower curtain doesn't get into places we'd rather it didn't.

Archived