Ballroom dance classes

chrob

Does anyone know whether there are any ballroom dance classes held on the Constellation?

Our previous 2 cruises (RCI and Princess) both had dance lessons and we really enjoyed attending them. Would love to give it another go on our up-coming cruise.

We have found that on our past few Celebrity cruises, the dance classes have been run by the entertainment staff (the dancers from the shows). We take ballroom lessons (for the past 10 years) at a studio and found that most of the so-called "instructors" on the cruise do not teach proper steps or even timing because they are not skilled "ballroom" dancers. And of course there was no mention of proper dance etiquiette - move around the dance floor counterclockwise and slower or stationary dancers staying toward the middle of the floor and leaving the outer edges for those that are more advanced.

Celebrity USED to have professional ballroom instructors, but they dropped them in favor of using kids from the entertainment staff.. who are by and large clueless.

For a person like me who has two left feet and has taken beginning classes for the past 30 years, these "clueless" kids are absolutely Sherlock Holmesian! :D

The classes are very basic and held for about an hour each day. They vary the dance each day (cha cha one day, swing the next, etc.). Don't expect miracles but at least it's very entertaining for the people who are watching you learn.

I look forward to classes now whereas in the past I feared them.. Last year on the Century crossing we had a couple of wonderful instructors who managed to get me past the pre-beginners stage. Mercury in February had an 18 year old cast member who just wanted us to "have fun" and was less than useful. Sea days are nromally the time for lessons so if there are few sea days there are few opportunities for lessons. I don't have problems with beginners classes because they are new to me everytime.:)

For a person like me who has two left feet and has taken beginning classes for the past 30 years, these "clueless" kids are absolutely Sherlock Holmesian! :D

The classes are very basic and held for about an hour each day. They vary the dance each day (cha cha one day, swing the next, etc.). Don't expect miracles but at least it's very entertaining for the people who are watching you learn.

Love your comment - but even though hubby and I have taken lessons for about 10 years and have learned silver and some gold steps, we consider ourselves "rust" level - it seems the older we get the less we remember.

In our experience, classes are held only on sea days so you only have a couple of lessons a week.

Yes it is entertaining as we watch the instructors teaching to the wrong music for the particular dance and or even worse teaching the wrong count. On our Millennium cruises, the classes were held in the Cosmos and hubby and I usually go to the far forward of the room near the windows (so we wouldn't disturb or distract the class) and used that time to practice our dance steps.

hubby and I usually go to the far forward of the room near the windows (so we wouldn't disturb or distract the class) and used that time to practice our dance steps.

If we had been on the same sailing we would have been bumping into one another... That's where we go:D

Oh dear I had thought that I might like to take this class. Over the past 2-3 years we have had a programme called Strictly Come Dancing and Strictly Dance Fever on our TV and everyone wants to learn to dance from young kids to us golden oldies!

I met my husband at a dance and thought that I would like to try to learn again after all these years!

Sue

Oh dear I had thought that I might like to take this class.... I would like to try to learn again after all these years!

Sue

I urge you strongly to go. No matter who teaches it will be worthwhile just to get the feet moving..

Thanks for all your replies. The best instructors we had were a professional couple on the Jewel of the Seas - on our next cruise, the Coral Princes the instructors were from the entertainment cast and were not as good but we still enjoyed it.

Will give it another go if we get the chance on the Constellation in May.

Archived