Campbell River vs. Nanaimo, BC

TomAndJane

We are booked on a couple of Pacific Coastal Cruises this September. The four day cruise was suppose to go to Campbell River (Plus other places) and the three day to Nanaimo and Vancouver. Now the four day cruise is stating that it will be going to Nanaimo instead of Campbell River. Which place would you prefer and is it worth going to Nanaimo twice within one week????

The same happened to us last year. we were booked on a 3 day to Campbell river and it changed to Nanaimo. So I can't comment on Campbell river. Nanaimo is a charming small town. The surrounding areas are beautiful and we wish we could have spent more time there. The parks are amazing, lots of totems...indian culture. THe town dosen't have a whole lot to do, but have a drink in one of the small town local cafes...interesting people anxious to tell you the history...which is interesting. We bought some hand painted glass christmas ornaments as gifts in one of the shops...

I don't think you'll be without things to do.....maybe due a ship excursion one trip...maybe to the old forests...then chill out and check out the town the next time around.

Enjoy your cruises.

P.S. If your stopping in Victoria...its awsome. Best whale watching I ever did. GREAT shopping...especially the open artist plaza, and the bars and restaurants are amazing.

Dave:eek:

I live just 1/2 hour north of Nanaimo in Qualicum Beach... I admit to a total bias, but it is an awesome place to be!

How long are you in port and what time? There are LOTS of things to see and do, but the time element matters for some of the things which spring to mind. If you gave me your cruise info, I can look at the excursions they offer and make a reccomendation or two perhaps.

Would you consider renting a car? Depends on time I know...but some of the really neat things are at the end of roads buses wouldn't go down.

have a great cruise, and enjoy the ports!

Muffin,

Right now it appears that we will be in Port on September 19th from 7 - 2 and again on Sept 24th (Sun) from 7 - 5. It is on the Mercury Leaving on Sept 18 (4 Day Cruise) and Sept 22 (3 Day Cruise). Thanks for any help that you can be on the excursions. We really like natural and wildlife viewing, sitting at the dock having a nice cold Canadian brew, etc.... I am not sure about a rental car because we are tendering and I am not sure how long it will take.

Hi there... i saw the excursions and would rec the Cathedral grove and wildlife centre, or Cathedral grove and Coombs. Port Albverni is a little far and unless you are a steam buff the Maclean mill is just an old hisoric site. I work at Milner as a volunteer, and while it is lovely, at that time of year it will just be a delightful woodland..most of the flowers are earlier blooming. It is peaceful and pretty, but so is Cathedral grove! The wine tour would be tasty, and you would see senic areas,butyou can buy a bottle of BC wine at a liquor store....recommended! (Cherry Point IS only available throught their own marketing..a shame!!)

Oceanside tourism.com is a good site for you. Please note that Oceanside is immediately "north" of nanaimo, and houses all the suggested excursion sites within its boundaries. ( Except the walking tour of Nanimo, and the wine tour which is "south" of the city).

Cathedral grove is, I think, a must see. the wildlife centre has lots of resident animals who are eather sick or injured. If they cannot release the annimal or eagle etc, they just keep them. The education centre is really hands on and a pleasure. They have two cubs right now.. mum ran away when a tree fell on the den and didnot return. cubs are hardly handled at all so they will not imprint on humans..have to lap up the milk etc, rather than being bottle fed. they have a good record of animal release. Also have animals people "adopted" until they got too big or mean, but by then they could not forage for themselves, so they stay forever too.

Coombs is a funky group of stores. the general market has amazing foodstuffs... things you may never have seen before, and is a great place to buy smoked salmon in many great flavours. Bakery is to die for, but you will not need it in the middle of a cruise!! Roof is sod, so goats live on top to keep it mowed. Behind store are about 10 smaller stores which have a wide variety of intersting items... lots of souvenirs and sweatsirt etc and good prices. Oh, and how could I forget the ice cream in the market.....

I do not want to belabour the car idea , but you would save a bundle. As well, you could go to two beautiful waterfalls with great hiking trails around them too right on the way to these other areas. \They are, of course, free as is Coomb and cathedral grove. the wildlife centre is $5.00 and milner is 10.00 . Perhaps you could see about a car on your first trip and do it on your second. I am sure a car rental group would make it very easy to get and return a vehicle. Also available are Rathtrevour park and the French Creek marina where you may well see seals up close and personal.

The harbour area is Nanimo is very nice and has about 6 stores of interst as well as eateries and a good pub in one of the eateries. A very pretty walk right down the shore on a delightful well presented boardwalk sort of affair.

Youa re coming at a wonderful time of year. the weather should be great, the colours just starting to change, and the tourists are gone!!(except you!)

Sorry to be so long... I love my home!!! And, I do not think anyone else will look at this site unless they reallycare!

Questions? JUst ask.

Cheers, marg

Archived