Seasickness Shot

castlewood

I've read in these boards several references to "the shot," most recently on Paul NH's postings. Can anyone elaborate on the following?

1. What is it (pharmaceutically)?

2. To what part of the body is the shot administered?

3. Do you need to go to the ship hospital to receive the injection?

4. Does the injection hurt? (that's my wife's question!)

5. How long does it take to work?

6. Does it work better than the scopolamine patch? Dramamine?

7. How long does a single shot last?

8. Any personal experiences with the shot?

Also, will ship motion, as described by PaulNH, be severely felt on Deck 9, middle? We will be taking a westbound transatlantic, departing May 29.

Thanks very much. And PaulNH, I've greatly enjoyed your daily postings.

I've read in these boards several references to "the shot," most recently on Paul NH's postings. Can anyone elaborate on the following?

Also, will ship motion, as described by PaulNH, be severely felt on Deck 9, middle? We will be taking a westbound transatlantic, departing May 29.

1. Don't know

2. I had my shot in the upper arm

3. You need to see the doctor - on the QE2 that meant visiting the hospital

4. No more than any other injection. This injection is far better than seasickness.

5. Less than half an hour.

6. Other motion sickness remades just send me to sleep - this one didn't.

7. I took mine on the first day of a 16 day holiday, my father had his seven days before that. I think that all it does is allow you to get your sea legs, then you don't need any other medicine.

8. Yes, I'd recommend it without hesitation. Don't go and see the doctor until you need the shot, in May you probably won't need it.

I've never been on QM2 so I don't know about your cabin's position in the boat, but you shouldn't experience bad weather in the Atlantic at the end of May.

Our first night out aboard the QM2 this past January 3 was very rough. Our Cruise Critic gathering at the Commodore Club had quickly morphed into the Cyclone ride at Coney Island.

Upon returning to our cabin, a quick call to the Purser and Nurse Jenny was on her way with no time to spare. She arrived at our cabin with her magic bag in around 12 minutes. The shot was applied to the stern region. It was not painful, certainly more welcome than the sickly feeling of careening up and down upon uneven seas.

The drug sends one to sleep within 15 minutes or so. The following day the after effects of groginess last through till late afternoon. I felt fine for the duration of our voyage despite a few days with high seas.

I would not hesitate to have the shot administered again. The shot is your best bet and works much quicker than Dramamine. We were mid ship deck 11 and the feeling of churning was brutal, I can't imagine deck 9 would be that much improved. Have the shot and you will enjoy your cruise all the more.

Cruiserking

Hubby and I were on 10 day Caribbean on QM2 in Nov 04. On the last leg our our journey (St Thomas to NY), we experienced pitching (ship's moves front to back). We both became queasy over the movement (we were located on deck 10, midship). We were heading to the dining room for dinner but made a side trip to the ship's medical office. The nurse suggested we eat something first, then stop back when we were ready to go back to our cabin. We got our shots after dinner (administered in the rump) and headed back to our cabin. The shot does make you groggy and it's suggested that you get it when you're ready to head back to your cabin...you start to feel the grogginess within 30 minutes. The medication (I don't know the name of the drug) lasts several days and we experienced no further problems.

1) Vistaril

2) Should be given deep IM in the thigh or hip/upper butt.

3) yes, unless they make a room call

4) The needle should not but the medicine may burn somewhat.

5) 15-20 min. Full effect in one hour

6) It works faster, and it for actual seasickness while the patch is preventative. Dramamine is OTC and not as effective.

7) It depends. At least 6-8 hours and may last longer. Usually only require on injection.

8) Yes, administering it.

I developed severe nausea after taking a drug while in the hospital. The doctor prescribed a phenergan suppository, which fixed me up within a couple of minutes. Since then I never cruise without it. I get terribly seasick, but as long as I have my phenergan I can eat and drink through a typhoon, without any drowsiness or groggy feelings. I don't know if they carry it on ships, I get mine through my regular physician.

Hope this helps.

I had my shot on the maiden TA to NY april 2004 - thought i could wait it out and would eventually start to feel better - oh no foolish me - within about an hour of having it I felt fine and was soon able to sit in the champagne bar and watch the bar staff try and catch the glasses sliding off of the counters with some amusement

"The shot" is likely Vistaril or Phenergan. They are both decent anti-nausea meds but are both quite sedating. I would recommend getting a prescription for Zofran ODT tablets to take with you. They come in 4 and 8 mg doses and last for 12 hours. The tablets that dissolve on your tongue so you don't have to get an injection or worry about throwing up a pill after you swallow it, plus they are non-sedating. They can be a bit pricey so be prepared.

Why would one even wait until the got sick?

As one who suffers mal de mer fiercely, even in moderate seas, one 25 mg meclizine hcl every morning at breakfast prevents the malady.

It does not make me sleepy, I can enjoy my champagne and other libations.

If sea conditions warrant, I take a second before dinnertime.

I can't even watch kids on a merry-go-round, I get that motion sick.

For some folks both phenegren and vistaril are contraindicated because of other medications they are taking.

... and some folks forego all shots and just munch candied ginger. It works!

Cunard sells Ginger Beer which is an excellent digestive. (This is the mixer for a Dark and Stormy one of two National Drinks of Bermuda).

I had my shot on the maiden TA to NY april 2004 - thought i could wait it out and would eventually start to feel better - oh no foolish me - within about an hour of having it I felt fine and was soon able to sit in the champagne bar and watch the bar staff try and catch the glasses sliding off of the counters with some amusement

You're talking about a crossing on the Mary?

If so, it was the same storm as me! (we were a couple of days behind you of course. Had to give the slow ship a head start!)

Kindlychap, yes the Mary crossing, same storm - the power of the wind and the sea made me really admire the courage and wanting of the people who did the crossing all those years before in search of a better life - it was my first ever cruise - i'm spoilt forever now

There are many remedies for seasickness and every person experiences both the illness itself and the cure for it differently. Ginger products can ease the symptoms of sea sickness but cannot remedy the cause. The shot can work wonders but should be received before bedtime since it will knock most people out for about 8 hours. (At least you are guaranteed a good night's sleep regardless of sea conditions). No matter what, you should find out the drug used (I'm sorry I have forgotten the clinical name) and check with your doctor before you make the journey to make sure if you can take this injection in the first place. Many senior citizens are on other meds or have other conditions that may prevent them from receiving this injection. You never want to try a new medication while on vacation.

I did utilize the injection on one crossing on the QE2, and it worked wonders. On my recent journeys on QM2, I just took the tablet form as a previous poster stated as a preventative. I did not take a whole dose but half just to keep the drug in my blood stream. It worked except for one evening, but all I had to do was change my location on the ship.

"The shot" is likely Vistaril or Phenergan. They are both decent anti-nausea meds but are both quite sedating. I would recommend getting a prescription for Zofran ODT tablets to take with you. They come in 4 and 8 mg doses and last for 12 hours. The tablets that dissolve on your tongue so you don't have to get an injection or worry about throwing up a pill after you swallow it, plus they are non-sedating. They can be a bit pricey so be prepared.

I believe it is Phenergan and had gotten it mixed up with Radisson. It would not be a drug I would want to take due to the extrapyramidal side effects (having experienced this with another Phenothiazine - Compazine). Plus I have asthma and this could exacerbate it.

I believe it is Phenergan and had gotten it mixed up with Radisson. It would not be a drug I would want to take due to the extrapyramidal side effects (having experienced this with another Phenothiazine - Compazine). Plus I have asthma and this could exacerbate it.

Radisson

I thought that was a hotel and cruise chain!

I suppose if you chose the hotel, you would not get seasick!

Karie,

Who will be staying in a Hampton Inn in Freeport Maine tonight (With free wireless internet!)

Good advice about trying out a new drug while still at home Pisces. Of course phenergan is available only with a prescription, so hopefully ones doctor will check for appropriatness. I found no side affects when taking it myself. It is interesting that it apparently causes drowsiness in some people, but stimulation in others. I guess I am on the stimulation side, as it didn't sedate me the way most seasickness remedies do.

Hey Karie...If you're staying in Freeport you really should go to Haraseekit Lobster Pound down on the docks in Freeport. A really neat place to eat a lobster and contemplate the charms of a Maine harbor scene...if they've opened for the season that is. Easy to find...just ask a local. Cheers and say hi to Maine for me...Penny

Hey Karie...If you're staying in Freeport you really should go to Haraseekit Lobster Pound down on the docks in Freeport. A really neat place to eat a lobster and contemplate the charms of a Maine harbor scene...if they've opened for the season that is. Easy to find...just ask a local. Cheers and say hi to Maine for me...Penny

Penny,

Maine says, "hi!" back!

We'll see if we can fit it in.

We're in our hotel in Freeport. Our party in Yarmouth starts at 1:30.

True to small towns, the hotel's housekeeper went to school with the parents of the wife of the party boy!

Which goes ta show ya- Don't do anything to earn yourself a reputation in a small town, unless you don't mind everyone else knowing about it!

This goes for small Caribbean islands, too.

Karie,

Who knows, You can hear it on he coconut telgraph! (Don'tchu know!)

On the topic of seasickness, who is this guy Ralph Buuuuuick? Many times a boat has passed near me in the ocean with a passenger leaning over the side calling to this gentleman who must reside beneath the sea. Threadex

Archived