Clothes for Alaska?

scotty2

Hope all you cruisers can help me. This is my first Alaskan Cruise and I don't know what to pack. Will it be warm enough for shorts? Is it too cold to use the swimming pools on the ship? Do we take coats? I know these questions sound stupid but please help Thank You

Hope all you cruisers can help me. This is my first Alaskan Cruise and I don't know what to pack. Will it be warm enough for shorts? Is it too cold to use the swimming pools on the ship? Do we take coats? I know these questions sound stupid but please help Thank You

Hi Scotty2,

Good for you, you'll love Alaska!

The questions aren't stupid at all. What month and which ship are you sailing? These will determine some of the answers. In general, think layers so you can peal off the jacket or the sweater and so on. As for shorts, DH and I sailed in September last year and shorts weren't an option - this year who knows. In July and August it'll probably work. Let us know some more details here and I'm sure you'll get the answers you need. ;)

Welcome and have a great cruise.

If May or June, assume cold BUT bring one pair of shorts and a short sleeve shirt just in case. Always dress in layers, this way as it does warm up, you can undress accordingly. And of course bring a waterproof jacket/poncho for the rain which WILL fall sometime.

We were in Juneau/Skagway last May and it was in the 70's. But this is very unusual. I would bring layers and if you're going during May/Sept you will need a jacket for viewing the glaciers.

As the others have said, layers, layers, layers. I wore a polo/T shirt under a corduroy "big" shirt and had my lightweight lined rainjacket handy if I went outside. When you're onshore, it'll be warmer. When you're cruising, it'll be chilly, even in August since you're among the glaciers, going through icefields and the ship is moving -- possibly feeling like it's in the upper 40's - 50's. When we cruised Glacier Bay, we needed all our layers to be outside on our balcony to see the glaciers, and that was in August.

If you're doing a pre- or post-cruise tour to one or more of the lodges, it'll be a lot warmer. We went in early August and it was in the 80s (unusual, but then weather seems to always be "unusual.")

As others have said - layering is the way to go.

I've been up there when it has been warm enough to use ship's pools and hot-tubs (you do have to be a bit brave - it can be brutal when you get out!).

You'll love Alaska. I sailed on the Regal Princess in 1995 and we are going on the Coral in June. I am so excited! What to pack? Layers, layers and layers. A good waterproof jacket. Comfortable walking shoes - two pairs in case one gets wet. A fleece hat and gloves for glacier watching on deck.

Also, you might want to check the Alaska board. They have some great packing tips.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I lived in Juneau for 7 years. I can tell you that it drizzles lightly A LOT in the Summer in the SE panhandle. It is considered a "rain forrest". The highs are usually in the 60s in the mid-summer. I can tell you from experience that you aren't going to the Carribean so don't expect that type of weather BUT you are going to the most beautiful part of the world that I've ever seen that's for sure. You will see wildlife and scenery that you've never even dreamed of. The interior (closer to Anchorage) is usually more sunny and spectacular as well. I am partial to the Juneau area though and I know you will love it. If you get the chance go to the salmon bake at Gold Basin and see the old mining stuff that's left over. Take a taxi up to the old part of town and go back up in there. The Mendenhall Valley is where we used to live - about two miles from the glacier. From what I hear a lot has changed since we left in 1989 so I'm not really sure what to tell you anymore. You will LOVE it though.

As everyone else has said think layers and the outer one has to be waterproof.

One aspect nobody has commented on is cabin choice, we had a balcony but the only use we made of it was to step outside and check the temp. before going on deck or ashore. Even in late June it was too cold for comfort on the balcony while cruising unless you were fully clothed in several layers, and if so you may as well be up on deck. If we do Alaska again we would probably opt for outside or even a high deck inside and spend the saving on more tours.

John.

You all are wonderful. I never dreamed that everyone would be so helpful.

I couldn't find this first post so I posted again. Disregard it.

We have a balcony and it sounds like I won't be on it much. We have taken 15 cruises to the Carribean and I live on the balcony but live and learn.

We will be the cruise from the 8th of July. I will check out how to pack and thanks a million.

I am really looking forward to this.

We sailed in september. The only thing I wish I would have brought which I didn't, was my winter jacket. I had on every sweater I owned, my mom's sweater and my lightweight jacket, and was still freezing cold when we were whale watching, horsebackriding, near the glaciers, and going through the misty fjords. I mean, I survived, but would have been much more comfortable, had I been warm.

We also had beautiful warm weather on the two days back to Vancouver.

So I would suggest bringing one pair of shorts and a winter coat with gloves and everything in between.

Our pools, on NCL, were heated and were wonderful, as were the hottubs.

Archived