Philadelphia hotel

nonna5

We will be cruising out of Philadelphia in June and we are hoping to find a hotel that provides pick up from the airport and transportation to the pier. If anyone has any hotel recommendations for Philadelphia I would greatly appreciate all of them. Thanks for all you help.

I am not sure that Philly has caught up with the cruise accomadations yet. Ships use the port only a few weeks a year. Any airport area hotel will will shuttle you from the airport to their hotel but don't expect to see anything or eat or leave the hotel really. (Actually there is a Denny's) There is a Marriot built into the airport and is about a 10 minute cab ride from the port. Near the stadium there is a Holiday Inn that is farther from the airport but closer to the port (but don't expect to find anything to do unless the Phillies are in town. Check out Sheraton Society Hill. The hotel is a short drive from the airport and beautiful. It is in the historic area of the city and across the street from Penn's Landing. Lots to see and fabulous resturants. Philly is pretty cab friendly. You should not have much trouble finding one. They can get expensive but I can't imagine you going far enough to really do damage to your wallet.

If Nonna chose the Holiday Inn there are several good Italian restaurants within a 15 min. cab ride from Packer Ave. I agree the Sheraton Society Hill is very nice. Went there for a wedding.Cabs are plentiful and would be in the restaurant district.Phila. has some nice attractions you just have to do some research. Depending on when you are coming Lion King will be in the downtown area until Sept.

Phantomtales - Thanks for the info. I had made a reservation at the Sheraton Society Hill and am glad to hear that you recommend them. I think I will keep it. Do you have any suggestion where to have dinner and/or things that we should not miss doing. We will have all day Saturday, June 10th. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CruiseMommas - Thank you for the info. Do you have any suggestions for restaurants and/or things to do close to the Sheraton Society Hill? We have seen Lion King (it was wonderful). We have never been to Philly before and are really looking forward to spending our short time there.

You could tour Historic Philadelphia,there is the Lberty Bell, Penns landing the The Olympia, an Early warshio and the Becuna a submarine on the Waterfront near the hotel.eYou can go to The Constitution Center, Besty Ross House( ther might be flag day celebrations and the Visitors's Center. Also there are horse drawn carriage rides, The Duck and walking tours. ---(Eating) There is Old Original Bookbinders and City Tavern (my vote a copy of the original inns in early Philly both within walking distance of the hotel. There is a movie theater and some more restaurants nearby. Hope this helps.

I recently saw, but can no longer find, a supposedly Cruise Friendly hotel with "Free" parking in Philadelphia.

The room was around $160 and had shuttles to and from the Ship. Depending on what they charge at the port for 8 days of parking, this might be a better deal.

Any info about the Empress Port Parking and possible Hotel Parking would be appreciated.

signman - I am Italian and I love Italian food and the opera. The Victor Cafe looks like a great place to have dinner. Do you know if you need to make reservations? Also, do you know if it is close to the Sheraton Society Hill? Will we need a taxi or will be able to walk? Thank you so much for the recommendation and all your help.

wrp - Thanks for the recommendation of the Society Hill. I believe I will leave my reservations there and stop looking.

Victor's brings back many good memories. Their collection of opera recordings is priceless.

It is not close to Society Hill. It is down in South Philly around Dickenson.

There are so many good places to eat in Philly. It has been too long since I been back up there so it is hard to recommend anything for dinner.

If you are looking for a real Philly Cheese Steak, go to Jim's on South Street. ;)

Nonna, there is one more place of a similar vein to consider, Franco & Luigi's http://www.francoandluigis.com/ It's even more in the heart of South Philadelphia, which is decidedly Italian. It's a little more informal and less expensive than Victor Cafe, but it is BYOB (Victor has a bar) and the singing strays a bit from strictly opera. If you possibly hook up with others in town for your cruise, you could really have a fun evening here.

At either place you definitely should make reservations for a Saturday night. And yes you would need to take a cab from the Sheraton.

There are some very good deals to be had on hotels in Center City Philly using Priceline, you can check them out at http://www.biddingfortravel.com, but you will be fine at the Sheraton.

wrp - Thanks for the recommendation of the Society Hill. I believe I will leave my reservations there and stop looking.

When I went to school in Philly, I had my mother stay there instead of at the Sheraton that was on campus. Of course, I did that so I could escape my dorm room but also because it's in a good area of town, is a nice hotel, and it is pretty convenient to a lot of things.

signman - Thank you for the recommendation. Now just to decide where to go with only one night in Philly.

wrp96 - Thank you for all of your help. I am anxiously awaiting my trip.

Victor's brings back many good memories. Their collection of opera recordings is priceless.

It is not close to Society Hill. It is down in South Philly around Dickenson.

There are so many good places to eat in Philly. It has been too long since I been back up there so it is hard to recommend anything for dinner.

If you are looking for a real Philly Cheese Steak, go to Jim's on South Street. ;)

PAT'S!!!!!!!!

We absolutely love Tangerine...one of our fav Philly restaurants. ;)

City Tavern is great so is the Artful Dodger. I am a big fan of Olde City and all of its restuarants. You will be very close to Independence Hall the Betsy Ross House and a cab ride from the Constitution Center. Have fun.

You want some "small gems" instead of the big flashy names?

Gioia Mia on Chestnut between 20th and 21st.

Out of the Blue, 20th just below Locust.

Audrey Clare - 20th, another block south

Matyson - 19th between Chestnut and Sansom

For a great view, Panorama on Front Street (great winelist, too)

Cuba Libre on 2nd street between Market and Chestnut

Vetri at 13th & Spruce

Moshulu IN THE WATER is an experience. Food isn't FABULOUS, but view and ambience can't be beat.

I was going to stay out of this cheesesteak war, because you can never win, but my favorite is Steve's Prince of Steaks on Bustleton just south of Cottman in Northeast. http://hollyeats.com/StevesSteaks.htm

wow= now this is my ultimate favorite cheese steak with Jims coming in second.

Pats/Ginos is good but Jims is better.

Archived