QM2 change of itinerary for MED cruise

deck chair

Hi!

Was leaning towards booking the 24 day round trip from NY on QM2 leaving 7/24/06 to England then on to Mediterranean, back to England then back to NY. I was advised yesterday by Cunard that the schedule has changed. Is this due to the Pod problem slowing down the ship?

VIGO, SPAIN: Originally scheduled to be there 8-4. Now 6-2.

BARCELONA: Originally scheduled to be there 9-6. Now 10-6

CANNES: No change: 7-6.

LIVORNO: Originally 7-7. Now 6-6.

CIVITAVECCHIA: No Change 7-7

GIBRALTER: Originally 8-5. Now 7-3

LISBON: Originally 7-4. Now 7-3

In addition, the ship will be sailing from NY at 5PM instead of 5:30 PM. It will be arrving in Southampton at 9AM instead of 6Am. On returning to Southampton from the MED, the ship will arrive at 8 AM instead of 7AM

These changes will obviously effect the shore experience due to the reduction of time in port spent or due to the ship arriving rather early and leaving earlier in the afternoon even though the same time in port will be spent. Its like, why bother?

You would think that CUNARD would have fixed the pod problem sooner (if that is the issue) Due to these changes I am seriously re-thinking my plans. Any guidance/advice would be appreciated.

PAtrick

Do yourself a favor and just do the transatlantic portions of your trip and spend the intervening time on land. In addition to the shorter times in port remember you'll probably have to tender in most or all of them, cutting your time even further. If you choose two or three of the places you are scheduled to visit (like Rome, Florence and Barcelona for example) you'll have way more time to explore and enjoy. Of course you'll have to pack more often but imo it's worth it. QM2 functions best on crossings. I did a round trip crossing in 2004 and spent the two weeks in between in Paris. This is just my opinion of course.

VIGO, SPAIN: Originally scheduled to be there 8-4. Now 6-2. Same amount of hours

BARCELONA: Originally scheduled to be there 9-6. Now 10-6 Lost 1 hour

CANNES: No change: 7-6. Same amount of hours

LIVORNO: Originally 7-7. Now 6-6. Same amount of hours

CIVITAVECCHIA: No Change 7-7 Same amount of hours

GIBRALTER: Originally 8-5. Now 7-3 Lost 1 hour

LISBON: Originally 7-4. Now 7-3 Lost 1 hour

You lost a total of 3 hours of port time. Will that make or break your trip?

Archived