No insurance at all; can I get credit

That depends if you have past the Final Payment date.

If you have, you'll have to pay a penalty.

Here's the NCL's web page for cancellation rules:

http://www.ncl.com/more/terms.htm#payment

OK. So my cruise is June 11th on Spirit out of NY and costs $3500 (w/o insurance). Cancellation insurance is $220. I'm trying to decide whether to purchase insurance.

If I cancel on June 3rd, I get 50% of the cruise cost back if I do not have insurance.

If I go and enjoy the cruise I have saved @ $220.

If I must cancel after 6/3, and I do not have insurance, I lose $3500

If I purchase "cancel any reason" insurance, and cancel on or before June 9th, I get 75%, or $875, of cruise cost back.

How to decide? Am I missing something? I admit, I'm sleepy. But I need to decide :confused:

I agree with NMNita. I always buy trip insurance. Something to consider...does your health insurance cover you outside the US? If not buy a comprehensive plan. I feel good knowing I have both the health and trip cancellation. I have used the health already and was fully reimbursed for doctors expenses. I also came close to cancelling a trip because of unexpected minor surgery. Luckily, my doc let me go, considering I was going to be resting and promised not to overdo anything.

Would you cancel your health insurance if you were healthy? Would you cancel your home owners insurance just because you haven't used it? I WOULD definitely purchase the insurance for peace of mind!!:)

I wouldn't risk it! At a cost of $3,500 I would most definitely buy insurance. You just never know. Why take the chance? At least you'll be sailing with a peaceful mind.

Unless you are in a financial position to self insure. For some the loss of $3500 once in ten cruises is a reasonable risk and not worth the cost of insurance.

The real $ risk is if you have a health issue once you sail. :eek:

How to decide? Am I missing something? I admit, I'm sleepy. But I need to decide :confused:

Aside from the money you will be out, what if you or your traveling companions become ill or have an accident - your personal health insurance will not pay for much and may not pay for all.

If anyone needs to be transported to the mainland from the ship - you pay for this without insurance.

I am not sure why people only worry about cancellation in relation to holiday insurance. Medical problems and the cost involved are a far greater risk.

Loss of luggage, loss of camera, or other expensive possessions, loss of cash and all the other things that can go wrong. If a relative at home or a business partner is ill and you need to return early. These are just a few of the minefield of problems you can happen. Here in the UK if you cancel your holiday you always lose the deposit which is why at the outset I always take insurance. The insurance will refund the deposit less and excess.

I always have an annual worldwide policy these days as I am away several times a year and it makes more economic sense to have this.

As previously said you would not dream of not having your home and its contents insured so why take the risk. Yes it is an expense but believe me the risk is more expensive if you should meet any problems along the way.

Sue

I did not purchase insurance through NCL as it was very expensive, I purchased my own insurance for $ 269.00 for Nine People in our group through Travel Guard. www.travelguard.com

You are correct about NCLs being a little pricier, but are you sure of what kind of coverage you are getting for $269.00 for 9 people? I am not trying to question your decision, but that is terribly cheap in my estimation. Of course if you are talking about a dirt cheap cruise with 2 or 3 of the passengers being youngsters under 2 it might be a little different. NMNita

My experience, always get the insurance! My Mom, 2 friends and I have been planning a cruise to Tahiti. We have already booked our airfare and a non-refundable hotel. I found out a short time ago that I have cancer and will be undergoing treatments as well as not being able to spend any time in the sun or the long flight required. Our insurance policy will refund the money to all 4 of us since we are travelling together (same flight, adjoining rooms, etc.) Without insurance we would be faced with losing thousands of dollars. By the way, I have always been an extremely healthy person and am 43, so anything can happen to anyone at anytime. I will never travel without insurance again, and even if I never need it again, it has paid for itself!

Julie

I was supposed to sail on the Galaxy to Rome next week. A month ago I fell and broke my hip. Since I still don't get around too well, I had to cancel my cruise. I was within the penalty period but Celebrity reimbursed me for their share the next day. Yesterday I got $900 back from the insurance. I certainly didn't expect to break my hip, but I sure am glad I was insured just in case.

ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES $10000.00 Per Insured

AIRLINE DELAY $250.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE & TRAVEL DOCUMENTS $500.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE DELAY $100.00 Per Insured

EMERGENCY MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION $100000.00 Per Insured

LIVETRAVEL SERVICES -- Per Insured

PRE-EXISTING EXCLUSION COVERAGE 180 Days

TRAVEL DELAY $500.00 Per Insured

TRAVEL GUARD ASSISTANCE -- Per Insured

TRIP CANCELLATION Trip Cost Per Insured

TRIP INTERRUPTION Trip Cost Per Insured

I think we are covered quite well.

Dan

You are correct about NCLs being a little pricier, but are you sure of what kind of coverage you are getting for $269.00 for 9 people? I am not trying to question your decision, but that is terribly cheap in my estimation. Of course if you are talking about a dirt cheap cruise with 2 or 3 of the passengers being youngsters under 2 it might be a little different. NMNita

I am paying for this trip for the nine of us, is it a $ 9000.00 Cruise Only as we are driving to the port. We have passengers ranging from 11 to 60 years old. BTW, I found Travel Guard in a Cruise Critic Newsletter.

Of course if you are talking about a dirt cheap cruise with 2 or 3 of the passengers being youngsters under 2 it might be a little different. NMNita

I am paying for this trip for the nine of us, is it a $ 9000.00 Cruise Only as we are driving to the port. We have passengers ranging from 11 to 60 years old. BTW, I found Travel Guard in a Cruise Critic Newsletter.

I paid about $79.00 per pax for my trevel insurance for 11 days through my TA....not only does it cover me in case of a cancilation...it also covers a visit to the ships hospital for any type of emergency and even an emergency evacuation from the ship at sea wwhich could be quite costly out of pocket...tens of thousands...I'm not looking to have a problem that would require an emergency evac but one never knows....:D

I am a person who has had THREE claims out of my last FOUR vacations!!

Believe me, the small amount you pay for the insurance does not even begin to cover the piece of mind you get but reality is you will never realize the importance until you have to use it.

Not only does it cover you for cancellation due to illness, it covers all your travel companions AND family members not traveling but may have an emergency or illness before you travel or during your trip. You get coverage should you miss the ship due to traffic tie ups, flight delays, lost luggage is covered and other unforeseen delays.

AND most importantly as others has said it covers you for evacuation if, heaven forbid, you are injured or develop a medical condition on the ship or one of the ports and need to be transported back to the US for treatment. This can cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I sound like I am selling this stuff but again, as a person who has just canceled an all inclusive vacation to Mexico due to my sister's (she is 38)unforeseen illness, just used it in Aruba in Oct. when my 51 year old husband had chest pains and had to go to the hospital there and soooooo great to have support on an 800 number to the insurance company when someone is sick and you are in a foreign country, and two years ago when I lifted a suitcase the morning OF our vacation, my back went out and we got a full refund as I was unable to travel.

Call it bad luck or call it being consciencious but I would not leave home without travel insurance. (Oh, and be sure to purchase it within a few weeks of booking so it covers "pre-exisiting conditions.".)

I

Not only does it cover you for cancellation due to illness, it covers all your travel companions AND family members not traveling but may have an emergency or illness before you travel or during your trip. You get coverage should you miss the ship due to traffic tie ups, flight delays, lost luggage is covered and other unforeseen delays.

Check the fine print on all the policies - most only cover you for delays on public transportation - Traffic tie ups if you are driving may not be covered at all. Now if the tie up is because you had an accident that will be covered with a police report.

No two policies are the same thus the wild swings in price.

You can compare most policies at

http://insuremytrip.com/?pid=1000&rid=1

Here is an example

Travel Delay must be caused by or result from:

1. Common Carrier delay; or
  2. loss or theft of your passport(s), travel documents or money; or
  3. quarantine; or
  4. hijacking; or
  5. natural disaster, adverse weather; or
  6. a documented traffic accident while you are en route to departure; or
  7. unannounced strike; or
  8. a civil disorder; or
  9. your, a Family Member traveling with you, a Domestic Partner Traveling with you or a Traveling Companion's Injury or Sickness; or
  10. a Family Member traveling with you or a Traveling Companion's death.

Since the cost of a medical evacuation runs at least $25,000, I think the cost of insurance is worthwhile for that reason alone. You never know what might happen, and even a young person could break a leg, or have something happen that would require evacuation.

that is good coverage for what you are paying. It is interesting how they break it down. have a great cruise. NMNita

A trip to a ship's infirmary for a severe allergic reaction to something I ate at a sail away party came to almost $1500 - all reimbursed by insurance.

You may be thinking, why didn't the ship pay for this care as it was a reaction to something they served. I was informed that in their opinion cause and effect was not established to their satisfaction, that just because I said that I ate it and got an allergic reactions 20 min later did not make it so.

If this was a case of food poisiong, then others would also come down with symptoms and then medical care would be free, I was told. "You're insurance will cover it."

Ships can charge whatever they please for care and although some adhere to the Medicare rate schedule, others do not and the cost can be very high and will be billed to your on board account/credit car.

Archived