A Tuxedo Story

ger_77

DH loves to wear his tuxedo (and he looks very handsome in it, I might add!), but the only time he really has a chance to wear it is when we go on a cruise. Well, his 65th birthday was 2 days ago so I arranged a surprise for him.

I told DH that we were going to go "somewhere nice" for his birthday dinner and that he should change into the outfit I left hanging on his closet. He was surprised to see his tuxedo there, but figured we'd be going to one of the fine restaurants located in our city, so he quickly put on the required attire.

The doorbell rang and I asked him to answer it - there was a uniformed limo driver with a stretch white waiting for us on our driveway. We went for formal family photos with our 3 children(who were also dressed appropriately) and then the car returned to our home. We walked to the front door and I suggested DH ring the doorbell - it was quickly answered by a professional chef who wished him a happy birthday and said our dinner would be ready in about an hour.

While we were out of the house a friend had come in and set the dining table with our linens, china, crystal, silver, flowers and candles and let in the chef to start cooking. We had a wonderful formal dinner in the comfort of our own home - the tuxedo stayed on all evening (just as it does on a cruise), and we had one of the most amazing evenings with our grown children. There were no extra bodies there (no boyfriends / girlfriends /sisters / brothers / special aunts / uncles, etc.), and all cell phones and house phones were turned off for the duration.

It was one of the best surprised I've ever arranged and I believe he enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed planning it. Now he's looking forward to wearing his tux again in October when we board the Rotterdam in Venice.

Smooth Sailing1 :) :) :)

Wow! Reading about your surprise was like a chapter straight out of a novel. I love, love, love, love that idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooo happy you had a perfect evening. You sure deserved it after orchestrating something so beautiful.

Lynn

Thanks for the positive comments - I had such a good time planning the whole evening. There were a couple of nights I barely slept because I was so excited to see it all come together!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I don't know why some guys get all bent out of shape over wearing a tuxedo. If they wear a suit from time to time, it really isn't much different, particularly if they have a shirt and jacket that fit them properly. Some have complained because they feel stuffed into the outfit, and for them I suggest they get re-measured so that they can be more comfortable in a different size. It is funny, though, how "luck" can change when they're wearing a tux! :D

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Archived