Inside Edition - Story on Cruise Ship Drinking

My niece just got back from the Sensation. She said that most of the teenagers were drunk and running around the ship. Hey, it's spring break time.

I don't think it's any worse now than when I was a teenager. We went on a cruise in high school and stayed drunk 90% of the time. How about the teenagers of the 60's and 70's? There were a lot of drinkers and drug users then also. I think people forget how it was when they were teenagers, and how old and responsible you used to feel when you were 15. The majority of times I have been drunk is when I was underage, and I've probably only been drunk 8 or 9 times. I've only been "praying to the porcelian god" drunk twice in my life.

Why is it that tv wants to make a big deal out of something that has been going on for decades, if not centuries. JMHO.

I have 3 grown children and yes I went through all the headaches a parent can to try to do it right.

With that said, yes it is the parent's responsibility to set the tone for the expectations of the their "children's" (young adult) behavior. However, I realize that a prarent cannot be with a teenager 24 hrs a day. I would expect that the behavior of a bartender on a ship would be no different then one on land. If my 16-18 year old kid was to walk into any bar on land, my expectation is that the bartender would card them and kick them out with a warning that they will be turned in if they try it again. It is illegal for a land based bartender to serve minors. This should be the exact same response on board a ship by the bartenders.

To blow it off by saying where are the parents I believe is to over simplify. Yes parents can step in after the fact (when it's too late and they found out their kids are staggering drunk). My option (after the fact) would be to call the bartender, that served my kid, out on the carpet in front of RCI management. I would deal with the kid's behavior seperately. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, please read my first sentence again in the previous paragraph about setting expectations.

What needs to happen is that we as customers insist that the cruiselines follow the laws and their own standards. I do not believe RCI standards include allowing their bartenders to serve drinks to minors.

I have 3 grown children and yes I went through all the headaches a parent can to try to do it right.

With that said, yes it is the parent's responsibility to set the tone for the expectations of the their "children's" (young adult) behavior. However, I realize that a prarent cannot be with a teenager 24 hrs a day. I would expect that the behavior of a bartender on a ship would be no different then one on land. If my 16-18 year old kid was to walk into any bar on land, my expectation is that the bartender would card them and kick them out with a warning that they will be turned in if they try it again. It is illegal for a land based bartender to serve minors. This should be the exact same response on board a ship by the bartenders.

To blow it off by saying where are the parents I believe is to over simplify. Yes parents can step in after the fact (when it's too late and they found out their kids are staggering drunk). My option (after the fact) would be to call the bartender, that served my kid, out on the carpet in front of RCI management. I would deal with the kid's behavior seperately. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, please read my first sentence again in the previous paragraph about setting expectations.

What needs to happen is that we as customers insist that the cruiselines follow the laws and their own standards. I do not believe RCI standards include allowing their bartenders to serve drinks to minors.

HERE HERE!!!

I just returned from a cruise on the Mariner (4/16-23) and was shocked at the blatant underage drinking. I have cruised numerous times on HAL, Princess, and NCL--never saw the amount of underage drinking like on the Mariner last week. It was our first trip on RCI.

I'm a school administrator and I know what 18 year olds look like. Many of the kids I saw walking around on deck and at CoCo Cay with bottles of beer, liquor, etc. was amazing. Their behavior reflected the drinking as many of these kids were extremely disruptive, rude, and surly. Believe me, I'm not anti-teenager. I just was shocked at the amount of drinking by young people. Additionally, security guards were on the ship, but they just seemed to watch and do absolutely nothing.

I do blame the parents first of all. It seems that quite a few of them boarded the ship with their kids and must have said "see you next Sunday." But, RCI has to accept responsibility, too. Drinks are pushed quite a bit, I guess because it is a big money-maker.

While the kids didn't completely ruin a vacation, the behavior did significantly impact the overall enjoyment factor of a great ship with a very good crew. I doubt we will sail RCI again. I guess HAL is more our style!

My niece just got back from the Sensation. She said that most of the teenagers were drunk and running around the ship. Hey, it's spring break time.

I don't think it's any worse now than when I was a teenager. We went on a cruise in high school and stayed drunk 90% of the time. How about the teenagers of the 60's and 70's? .

There is a difference. I used to drink before I was 21 too. My mom died when I was 16 and dad... well let's just say he was not cut out to parent two teenage daughters. I ran wild. The difference between then and now? STD's, harder drugs mixed with more crud (LSD then is not LSD now etc). This is a new world, with dangers we could not have concieved of back then. Kids are having sex really young now. It's not the same, we were so innocent back then, in a world with more family interaction and togetherness, less TV. We had far fewer outside influcences, no internet.

These kids are getting flashing images thrown at them super fast, everywhere they turn. They tell them to be cooler, braver, tougher than anyone told us to be. They think they are older, more mature, smarter than they are, smarter than we were. Okay, that has not changed, but it's not the same. Not anymore.

As it so happens, RCCL actually has a rather nifty policy. The seapass cards of children under 18 are hole punched with two holes. As you have to use your seapass to buy drinks, the bartender is automatically aware of your legalitty. However, I suppose this falls apart if a parent gives their child their seapass. But if you let your child get the seapass, that is completely the parent's fault, not the cruise lines'. Their is no excuse for having your seapass accessable to your teenager. If your teens are in a seperate room from their parents, and you had to book it as though a parent and one child was in that room, tell the purser your situation. You can most likely get another roomkey for your teen's room with THEIR name on it. There. Drinking on cruise ships under 18 solved.

P.S. Not all teens like to drink. I'm 15 and won't touch the stuff unless I'm say, offered a TASTE on new year's. Don't jump to that conclusion. We aren't all hooligans.

P.S. Not all teens like to drink. I'm 15 and won't touch the stuff unless I'm say, offered a TASTE on new year's. Don't jump to that conclusion. We aren't all hooligans.

Whipersnapper :p

You're a credit to your parents. You can tell them a 42 year old mom of four in Ann Arbor wants them to write a book on how to make them like you.

I told my eldest that if he refrains from drinking till he's 18 I will pay for his college, anywhere he wants to go. If not, he's on his own. Other than that, and watching him like a hawk in a few years, I don't know what else to do. I am so scared that little Mr. "I want to be cool" will act without thinking.

As it so happens, RCCL actually has a rather nifty policy. The seapass cards of children under 18 are hole punched with two holes. As you have to use your seapass to buy drinks, the bartender is automatically aware of your legalitty. However, I suppose this falls apart if a parent gives their child their seapass. But if you let your child get the seapass, that is completely the parent's fault, not the cruise lines'. Their is no excuse for having your seapass accessable to your teenager. If your teens are in a seperate room from their parents, and you had to book it as though a parent and one child was in that room, tell the purser your situation. You can most likely get another roomkey for your teen's room with THEIR name on it. There. Drinking on cruise ships under 18 solved.

Most of us seasoned cruisers are well aware of the seapass holes in the card. The issue here is not parents giving their seapass cards to kids so they can buy drinks for themselves (inexcusable), but bartenders not enforcng the rules and pushing/selling to minors. Remember that for every drink they sell, 15% goes into the tip coffers. As I said, it is illegal for a bartender to serve a minor on land. It should be no different on sea.

We have been on carnival(celebration, over New Years) and many RCCL ships. DH is a very early riser & has noted many teens still up and partying at 4 am. On RCCL he asked one of the group he saw every morning how old she was and why she wasn't in her cabin, where are your parents. She was 14 & told him her mom said not to come back cause she had a guest in the cabin. she was supposed to find a friend to crash with till morning.

He noticed that Carnival actually did a better job controling the teens than rccl. At least on the car ship we were on.

I think it is the responsiblity of both the cruiseline to enforce the rules and the parents to check up on their kids. Bartenders should be fired if they serve to underage drinkers and parents should be held responsible for their kids.

Debbie

All I can say is it is amazing how resilient young kids are today. When I was on the grandeur last year I saw these 2 girls every night completely drunk and they were being loud and obnoxious in the Viking Crown Lounge. But guess what these 2 girls weren't even 18 yet they managed to glide right on by the security officers at the door of the viking crown lounge who was stopping 25 and 30 year olds and asking for ID. Of course some of their friends were 18 and so they had their friends buy them the alcohol. But I can tell you that it must be difficult being a security gaurd or bartender because these girls and quite a few other underage kids on previous cruises looked older than 18 yet were not. Perhaps RCCL and all cruiselines need to come up with a computer tracking program that alerts a bartender when X number of drinks have been served and the bartender has to click a button to verify that they are not out of control drunk. But this would become extremely complicated because for people who buy a round of drinks on 1 card for a group of say 6 or 8 people these people would then be flagged after possibly only 2 drinks. I must say though that there is a fine line between a person being drunk and sober because for some it may only take 1 or 2 drinks and for others it may take 20 and also alcohol has different response times in various people so that someone who drank 3 beers an hour previously gradually becomes drunk. Also bartenders probably make the wrong assumption that everyone in the disco is 18 years old after a certain time and thus don't question people when drinks are passed on to others or perhaps the giving of drinks occurs outside of the bartenders view. So it doesn't seem like there is an easy solution. Perhaps, RCCL and other cruiselines should set up a system where to enter the disco after a certain time you have to swipe you SeaPass card and also show ID that matches the Seapass card with the capabilities to check the date of birth of person since they already have those records from when we checked in. And also, perhaps the security guards should roam the club as well to monitor the situation since monitoring the door is only so effective. Underage drinking has been a problem for a while now and becomes increasingly difficult to monitor so that guests can still have a good time yet are not excessively intruded upon by security or the cruiseline. I feel though that underage drinking is not as much of a problem now on ships as it was in the late 80s or early 90s though when seapass cards were not coded, kids and parents swapped cards, alcohol was easily smuggled aboard or allowed by the cruiseline, and security did not exist after a certain time at the disco. I feel cruiselines have tried to implement their policies effectively but as the saying goes "Where there is a will, there is a way" and underage kids who are determined to drink will find a way no matter how difficult it is. So ultimately parents should be more responsible for their kids and not give them as loose of a leash as they currently do. Also, perhaps underage drinking is more easily encouraged because kids and their parents now often have separate staterooms so parents who would have found out their kids were drinking when they came home no longer know this. Whatever the solution, I can say that while I have seen my fair share of underage kids drinking they have not really interferred with my cruise vacation or most other guests and until they do I don't think the cruiselines will not take a more proactive approach.

I watched the show last night also and am looking forward to tonights segment. I seemed to take a little more from it than just underage drinking. Although a lot of who they focused on were under 21, even those at or over 21 still need to be cut off at some point! The one young man was 20 yrs old and served 10 beers which he drank one after the other in less than 10 min while the server watched and timed him! Do any of you think that him being 1 yr older made that any safer or would have detered him from peeing on deck and getting in the pool? I've cruised 9 times and have seen a lot of people, mostly adults, drink themselves into oblivion. But I've never been on a ship where the bartender or server turned anyone away or decided that they had enough.

I do understand that the big differance is that some are of legal drinking age and the others arent. But I dont care if the guy is 18 or 38 drinking until your behavior starts to adversly effect large numbers of other pass is a problem. No I dont mean the guy who keeps talking to you or keeps patting you calling you Dave and your name is John. I mean the guy vomiting in public areas becoming abusive or unable to maintain his balance. I think the cruise lines need to train the staff to recognize when people reach a certain point and at least attempt to cut them off. We all know that these lines generate a lot of revenue from alcohol but I think that with these things being brought to light these actions they will save a great deal of money from the law suits. Which will surely start coming. " They let my husband drink himself to death!" As the wife uses a huge sail & sign card bill w/the times drinks were purchased as proof and the ships video showing her husband visibly drunk but being served. Fair? No But we all know how things work. Lets blame it on someone else! "Yes I'm an adult but you let me do it and kept pushing the liquor at me!"

Having said all that cant wait until the 7th to have a Miami Vice :rolleyes:

First, if the child is under 18, then it is the parents responsiblity. It doesn't matter what the age, if the behavior is socially inappropriate - such as giving onceself a bath with your own urine, then the parents and child should be leaving at the next port. Same rule would apply to an adult found exhibiting this behavior.

My personal opinion of why it is currenlty out of control - becuase we raised the drinking age. You have to learn how to drink responsibly. Today, people aren't taught by their parents, but by their friends how to drink. When I was 18, my family took me out for "a beer at a local night spot". I had " a beer" because that was a socially acceptable way of drinking. Now, we leave it to other kids to teach other kids how to drink. Would you let another kid teach your kid how to drive a car?

Since kids who are college age can't drink in the States, they go overseas where the rules are different. Because they only have a short period of time, they over do it.

Other countries that don't have such age restrictions, don't have the problems we have with excess. Prohibition never worked in the early part of this century and isn't working now. Just a different way of approaching thte issue. In the US, we always seem to go overboard when we try to solve a problem such as drinking and driving which should be strictly enforced.

.....My personal opinion of why it is currenlty out of control - becuase we raised the drinking age. You have to learn how to drink responsibly. Today, people aren't taught by their parents, but by their friends how to drink. When I was 18, my family took me out for "a beer at a local night spot". I had " a beer" because that was a socially acceptable way of drinking. Now, we leave it to other kids to teach other kids how to drink. Would you let another kid teach your kid how to drive a car?

Since kids who are college age can't drink in the States, they go overseas where the rules are different. Because they only have a short period of time, they over do it.

Other countries that don't have such age restrictions, don't have the problems we have with excess. Prohibition never worked in the early part of this century and isn't working now. Just a different way of approaching thte issue. In the US, we always seem to go overboard when we try to solve a problem such as drinking and driving which should be strictly enforced.

Uhhhh, just one problem, we did lower the drinking age to 18 in Michigan back in the early 70s. Now I don't want to debate what is an appropriate age, but I will debate anyone suggesting that "you have to learn to drink responsibly". Unfortunately statistics don't support your hypothesis that "teaching" folks at a younger age "how" to drink responsibly results in better behavior. The experiment lasted 3 years before the age was raised back to 21. And no I don't leave it to other kids to teach my kids how to drink. I also didn't teach them how to have teenage sex either. All I could do is tell them the consequences of irresponsible behavior. I did not have to give them one beer for them to learn to drink responsibly. It is something you teach before the behavior (drinking) starts. You can only hope what you and the educational process has taught will somehow stick.

After going through my own teenage years, and raising 3 through the teenage years, my experience is you can only go so far. You aren't with them 24 hours a day. You can only guide them and hope they act responsibly. If not, then they surely will experience the consequences they have been told are forth coming.

For me the issue is something like this. Alcoholism and particulary drinking by young people is at epidemic proportions in the US.

As compared to what and when? For most of America's history "young people" were legally able to drink in the first place. The '21 to drink' law is fairly recent (My husband is 46 and he could *legally* drink at 18) and puts a whole lot of "young people" in a bad situation. I was a senior in college before I could legally have a beer in the United States. By then, I had been living on my own for 4 years and had traveled to 3 continents. But, hey, I wasn't responsible enough to have a beer with dinner. Right? Luckily, my parents were more liberal in raising me and I was exposed to wine and beer from my early teens so I wasn't 'enthralled' with the forbidden nature of alcohol. RCL lets 18yos drink beer and wine on the ship because they recognize that in *most* countries in the world the drinking age is not 21.

While the issue of 14 year olds getting drunk and peeing on the pool deck is disturbing, I guarantee you can see 30-somethings doing similar things. The problem is that some parents don't teach their kids how to either say NO to alcohol or to drink responsibly. The bartenders can't be expected to chase down every 18yo who buys a drink and make sure he's not giving it to an underager and you just know the first time a parent send their kid to get them a beer and is refused, someone on these boards will be screaming.

......The problem is that some parents don't teach their kids how to either say NO to alcohol or to drink responsibly...... The bartenders can't be expected to chase down every 18yo who buys a drink and make sure he's not giving it to an underager.

Ok, someone teach me how a parent "teaches" their kid. I must be missing something here. Am I to assume that every underage kid who is drinking is doing so because his/her parents have not told them it is inappropriate. Am I to assume that teenage kids today are different then me or my kids growing up and experimenting regardless of what parents said. Someone help me here. We teach kids in school the consequences of irresponsible behavior. As parents we let them know the expectations and consequences. Beyond that, how is it I supervise 24 hours a day to insure my kids don't break those rules.

If I read your statement correctly, an 18 year old is being inappropriate in giving alcohol to minors. Am I to assume that the 18 year old's parents are to blame because this 18 year old has not learned this is irresponsible. Or should I assume that 18 year olds (at least some) cannot assume responsibility for this priviledge.

The point that I have tried to make is any bartender serving minors should be taken to task and fired. Anyone can come up with other examples (such as 18 year olds giving it to minors), but those issues should be handled on a case by case basis and the 18 year old, if caught, should have to suffer the appropriate consequences.

I don't think that there is any more underage drinking going on on cruises then there is on land. I knew plenty of people who drank in high school some of them until they were falling down drunk. Even though their parents thought they were perfect little angels. I think that one of the reasons that people think it is such a problem on the cruise lines is because we see so many young people in the disco's and by the pool drinking. Believe me if you went to the clubs that on land that 21 year olds go to you would see the same behavior there. And I bet you would see plenty of people that you would assume are under age. I am only 30 and 18 year olds look like little kids to me. You can't tell how old some is by looking at them no matter where you work or how many 18 year olds you are used to being around. My older sister looks very young for her age. When she was 26, happily married and pregnant with her 1st child, she was approached a minimum of once a week with someone making comments about her being pregnant at a young age. These were strangers assuming that she was a teenager!! "kids having kids" was a comment we heard over and over. Some peoples comments were sooooo rude she would cry or get very upset never saying anything back to them because she is very shy. But believe me I put some people in their places when I was with her.

This is a little off topic I know but relevent to assuming age.

I personally experienced many more 45yr+ obnoxious drunks on my last cruise than I did younger people.

Whipersnapper :p

You're a credit to your parents. You can tell them a 42 year old mom of four in Ann Arbor wants them to write a book on how to make them like you.

I told my eldest that if he refrains from drinking till he's 18 I will pay for his college, anywhere he wants to go. If not, he's on his own. Other than that, and watching him like a hawk in a few years, I don't know what else to do. I am so scared that little Mr. "I want to be cool" will act without thinking.

I feel so blessed. I have a 24yo who has never had a drink in his life. He doesn's use drugs either. I know many will think I'm just nieve, but I know he doesn't and won't ever drink. He went through the DARE program in 5th grade, signed a contract to stay drug/alcohol free and decided to stick to it. He is a great kid, went through 4 years of college and has a lot of friends who are also "straight-edge" as they call it. There IS hope out there for kids...you can teach them the dangers of alcohol and sometimes it does sink in!

Keep up the good work Whipersnapper...you can do it and it is something to be proud of!

kitty

I don't think that there is any more underage drinking going on on cruises then there is on land. I knew plenty of people who drank in high school some of them until they were falling down drunk. Even though their parents thought they were perfect little angels. I think that one of the reasons that people think it is such a problem on the cruise lines is because we see so many young people in the disco's and by the pool drinking. Believe me if you went to the clubs that on land that 21 year olds go to you would see the same behavior there. And I bet you would see plenty of people that you would assume are under age. I am only 30 and 18 year olds look like little kids to me. You can't tell how old some is by looking at them no matter where you work or how many 18 year olds you are used to being around. My older sister looks very young for her age. When she was 26, happily married and pregnant with her 1st child, she was approached a minimum of once a week with someone making comments about her being pregnant at a young age. These were strangers assuming that she was a teenager!! "kids having kids" was a comment we heard over and over. Some peoples comments were sooooo rude she would cry or get very upset never saying anything back to them because she is very shy. But believe me I put some people in their places when I was with her.

This is a little off topic I know but relevent to assuming age.

I personally experienced many more 45yr+ obnoxious drunks on my last cruise than I did younger people.

All good points however the issue is bartenders serving minors on these ships. If it happens on land, and the establishment gets caught, not only is the bartender in trouble, but the establishment must also answer to the problem and face the consequences including loosing their liquor license. So yes, you can't judge a book by it's cover (someone's age) but what we have seen is young people, underage, do get served on the ship with no consequences. This is a problem that should be addressed. The folks serving these minors see only the additional 15% added to the tip coffers. They should see a dire consequence to their actions. Quite frankly, if the cruise lines cannot/will not police themselves, I would favor action by other authorities to penalize the cruiselines when this behavior is verified. Perhaps the threat of outside action could influence the cruiselines to take appropriate action.

I hate to break the news.... this is what teenager and young adults do in college now. EVEN CRAZIER! I have seen far worse in college parties and clubs in NYC... its just exposed to older peopel on the cruise and its SHOCKING :eek: ! For the people say not my kid :rolleyes: i found the kids that were meek and mild are the craziest when it comes to drinking ( i had my fair share of drinking in college :o ) But not so OUT OF CONTROL. my parents raised me with moderate drinking starting at 16. Half a glass of wine. A shot of vodka just for celebrations ONLY (HEY WE ARE POLISH :p ). But I never went out of control becuase it wasn't the forbidden fruit. BTW i am not an alcaholic now, I have two children and husband is a trooper (police).

Please don't be shocked, this is normal, this is what your kids are doing (to a point). What can we do to stop them? Chain them to their room at night :p

I am not trying to flame, just bothers me that it is so shockingt to people and to the parents that feel that their kids are not like that.

I hate to break the news.... this is what teenager and young adults do in college now. EVEN CRAZIER! I have seen far worse in college parties and clubs in NYC... its just exposed to older peopel on the cruise and its SHOCKING :eek: ! For the people say not my kid :rolleyes: i found the kids that were meek and mild are the craziest when it comes to drinking ( i had my fair share of drinking in college :o ) But not so OUT OF CONTROL. my parents raised me with moderate drinking starting at 16. Half a glass of wine. A shot of vodka just for celebrations ONLY (HEY WE ARE POLISH :p ). But I never went out of control becuase it wasn't the forbidden fruit. BTW i am not an alcaholic now, I have two children and husband is a trooper (police).

Please don't be shocked, this is normal, this is what your kids are doing (to a point). What can we do to stop them? Chain them to their room at night :p

I am not trying to flame, just bothers me that it is so shockingt to people and to the parents that feel that their kids are not like that.

The fact that kids drink isn't shocking. I'm not sure where you get this idea. The fact that bartenders can get away with serving the minors on board the ship without consequences is. That is the point. Kids drink. But we don't have to encourage it by allowing bartenders to openly serve them!

I'm a teenager of the 60's. Believe me, after what I seen and went through, and with raising three of my own, there isn't anything that could make me blink an eye. That doesn't mean the behavior needs to be condoned.

Yes, cruisinMike,

I agree with you if it is verified something should be done. I am just wondering how often the underage kids are really getting the alcohol from the bartenders. Didn't someone post earlier about how kids will pick up drinks that others leave behind. I don't think that parents should ever give their sea pass to their teen. There is no reason. If you are not going to let them charge to an account then don't make an exception and then be surprised by what the buy.

Yes, cruisinMike,

I agree with you if it is verified something should be done. I am just wondering how often the underage kids are really getting the alcohol from the bartenders. Didn't someone post earlier about how kids will pick up drinks that others leave behind. I don't think that parents should ever give their sea pass to their teen. There is no reason. If you are not going to let them charge to an account then don't make an exception and then be surprised by what the buy.

Ugggg. The thought of these kids going and drinking unfinished, left behind drinks, by strangers. At least we knew who we were drinking after as we passed the bottle of wine around back in those days. ;)

Archived