Inside Edition - Story on Cruise Ship Drinking

Just saw an Inside Edition story that was, to say the least, very unflattering for Royal Caribbean. The expose showed excessive and underage drinking on one of it's ships. The point of the story was that the cruise line did nothing to control the situation but willingly continued to serve people and allow 14 and 16 year olds to drink until they passed out.

Comments?

CaptainG

Did they, at any point, question what the parents were doing at the time - instead of blaming RCCL? It's not like these 14 and 16 y/o's got on the ship by themselves....

I agree one hundred percent. Where were the parents during all this? Perhaps passed out from drinking on another part of the ship.:rolleyes:

The story implied that these kinds of problems are the worst in March and April. Cruising is on the list of things to do during spring break, along with going to Mexico and the Caribbean (Aruba). Since cruise lines will serve anyone 18 or older, many young people who could not drink legally at home are going places where they can drink without limit and cruise ships qualify.

I guess a couple days at the beach or even a trip to Daytona or Ft Lauderdale just isn't enough anymore. Where do these kids get the money?

They showed an 18 year old buying booze and giving it to his 16 year old brother in clear view of the bartender.

CaptainG

If I am not mistaken on RCL 14 to 17 year olds are allowed to roam the ship. Now don't get me wrong I do think the way they are brought up plays a big part in being able to trust them. However, it is up to the bartender to make sure they are of age before serving them drinks. So therefore it IS the bartenders fault if they are serving minors drinks. JMO :D

It happens on other cruiselines also and as for the parents, i am really getting sick of hearing "Its their vacation to so let them do what they want" Which is exactly the attitude of the 15 year ols Irish girl who got drunk and feel off the ship a few months ago. I have been on cruiselines that dump the whole family at the next port because of their childrens out of control drinking. I think this needs to happen more often, then maybe the parents will keep a more watchful eye on their kids.

I sat in the promanade and watched as a 13 yr old bought drink after drink from the bartender until she had to be carried by to boys to her cabin as the parents laughed it off.

They were drinking with liquor they had smuggled on. all these stories will lead the cruise lines to crack down hard on bringing liquor aboard...

The expose showed excessive and underage drinking on one of it's ships. The point of the story was that the cruise line did nothing to control the situation but willingly continued to serve people and allow 14 and 16 year olds to drink until they passed out.

Which was it? Smuggled or served?

I took my 14, 16 and 18 yr old (I'm not going to lie ... know my 16 and 18 yr olds drink with the friends on occassion) on Rhapsody over spring break. Told them NO drinking ... and they didn't. they also had to check in with me at a designated area every 2-3 hours, otherwise they ran the ship.

I believe the parents need to be held accountable as well.

The TV report said nothing of smuggled booze. Everything was served at bars and on the pool deck.

One 18 year old was served beer after beer at the pool. They went on to show him urinating on the deck while sitting on the edge of the pool and then jumping in the pool to wash off.

CaptainG

The TV report said nothing of smuggled booze. Everything was served at bars and on the pool deck.

One 18 year old was served beer after beer at the pool. They went on to show him urinating on the deck while sitting on the edge of the pool and then jumping in the pool to wash off.

CaptainG

:eek::eek::eek::eek: In plain view of everyone?! WHAT THE?!

I can't wait to get home and watch this, I Tivo'd it.

Which was it? Smuggled or served?

I took my 14, 16 and 18 yr old (I'm not going to lie ... know my 16 and 18 yr olds drink with the friends on occassion) on Rhapsody over spring break. Told them NO drinking ... and they didn't. they also had to check in with me at a designated area every 2-3 hours, otherwise they ran the ship.

I believe the parents need to be held accountable as well.

Completely agree. Underage drinking has been around nearly forever, so why have things (purportedly) taken such a drastic turn for the worse?

For me the issue is something like this. Alcoholism and particulary drinking by young people is at epidemic proportions in the US. Many experts feel that alcoholism is a much worse problem than drug addiction. Several posters on another thread indicated that underage drinking occurs everywhere so why is everyone making a big deal when it happens on RCL. That is exactly the point. Most people on these boards love cruising and I am sure they do not want to see a bunch of drunken teenagers (or any age) roaming around the ship, urinating in the pool, etc. I think the main difference is that this behavior is relatively new to cruising. It is just over the last ten years or so, that crusiing has become affordable to the point that almost anyone can afford it. Unfortunately, that atracts a different clientele. Also, newer ships cater to families and younger people. My guess is that you would be less likely to see this behavior on HAL or Celebrity just due to the demographics. I would bet that it would not be tolerated on Radisson, Crystal, Seabourn, etc. I have not encountered it yet, but then again I have never sailed on Carnivore and have not been on RCL since 1996. So, I am not going to criticize the TV show if it brings attention to this problem and forces crusie lines to curb underage drinking (21 is under age for me) and drunkedness in general.

I was on a Med cruise last summer on Princess and there were a number of young teens drinking. It wasn't clear to me that Princess was serving them because the alcohol was in the soda cups.

I was talking to security who was aware of the problem - and it was a problem at times for other passengers because the kids were unruly - is that the parents were aware and didn't care. The attitude was like "we are on vacation..." So, it isn't just an RCCL problem....

On both this thread and another one people keep commenting on seeing underage kids being served alcohol. While I am not going to say that I don't believe that it happens because I am sure it probably does. But I have 2 questions 1. How do you know how old these "kids" are and 2. How do you know they are drinking alcohol? I've seen plenty of young people act stupid without any alcohol at all!!:D

who decided to buy a keg & have all the friends over for a sleep over. They could drink & pass out spending the night as the parents were chaperoning it.

Guess what? They are in jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Turned out one of the kids told his parents what a great bunch of parents the kid has & what they did for the group.

I too wonder where the parents are. I catch one of my boys drinking on my vacation there are going to be some serious consequences. Do underage kids drink? Of course, I was one of them. That does not make it Okay.

Maybe I am a Pollyanna because the boys aren't old enough to worry about that yet, but I do think I can keep a lock on it while I am on vacation. dreaming? I hope and pray not.

The student eventually urinated through his shorts and onto the deck of the ship before jumping into a pool to wash himself off.

This is why we stay out of the pool and hot tubs. :p

Is there any way to see or get this video if you missed it?

Just watched the inside edition piece, we went into it with a little bias in favor of RCCL, but after watching the video I want to know who those bartenders were. I have never been on a ship where the server on the pool deck has poured the bottle into my mouth for me. No matter how much I asked. The kid must have tipped big!!! But seriously, I would have to agree with the article on the whole, because I have been served well after passing the line of being drunk, it's all about the money...

Giorgi-one.

Do you think this "drinking epedemic" is worse than when the drinking age was 18? It is hard for me to believe the 18-20 year olds are drinking more now than when it was legal to do so.

Giorgi-one.

Do you think this "drinking epedemic" is worse than when the drinking age was 18? It is hard for me to believe the 18-20 year olds are drinking more now than when it was legal to do so.

From what I understand and have read, the drinking epidemic is worse for all ages. I have seen TV reports and read articles that discuss the epidemic in grammar schools, high schools and college. I do not belive that it has anything to do with whether the drinking age is 18 or 21.

I think Inside Edition had the wrong cruise line, are they sure it was'nt the car...... :D

I know they say April is a bad month due to spring break....but I can honestly say I was just on VOS and other than the teenagers running around and a little loud at times...I did not witness any drinking of alcohol.......:confused:

Archived