Smoking in the Mediterranean

We have never traveled to the Med. before and are really looking forward to our upcoming cruise in June.

We will be visiting Barcelona, Villefranche, Florence, Rome, Naples, Santorini, Athens, Dubrovinik, and Venice.

Just curious as to what to expect as far as smoking. I know that smoking is much more prevelant in Europe than the U.S., but am wondering if there are any bans on smoking (i.e. public transportation, boats in Venice, museums, etc.)

Also, do any of the restaurants offer non-smoking sections? I have a feeling it is unlikely, but am hoping that maybe some do.

My husband and I are non-smokers and we will be traveling with our children ages 10 and 12. We live in Florida where smoking is banned in all public places including restaurants and, as a result, are even more sensitive to cigarette smoke since we are rarely around it.

Just hoping to find out what to expect.

Thanks,

Nancy

Which Millennium sailing have you booked? My husband is allergic to cigarette smoke, so we are also sensitive to the smell. Unfortunately, most of the restaurants in your ports don't have nonsmoking sections. If you go to a Hard Rock or something like that (I know others will just roll their eyes, but we love to go to those sometimes when we are on 19-24 day trips for a break from the local cuisine), you will find nonsmoking sections. One tactic that we use as much as possible because we love it anyway is to eat outside.

Most of the museums no longer allow smoking in the main areas but some have special rooms designated (not near the art or artifacts and usually near the entrance) where smoking is permitted. We use public transportation a lot, and I've noticed that smoking is allowed on the subways in some of your ports. And it's nearly always allowed in the subway stations. We've ridden the buses in several of those ports; I don't remember any smoking on the buses, but I wouldn't be surprised if smoking is allowed on the buses.

So I know this is not good news, but if you're like us and are outside a lot anyway other than the inside visits to the smoke-free museums, hopefully it won't be too much of a problem.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Dear Donna,

Thank you for taking time to reply. We do enjoy eating outside so I think we will be dining "alfresco" alot.

We are leaving on June 3 and staying for 3 nights pre-cruise in Barcelona and 2 nights post cruise in Venice. We are sailing on Celebrity's Millennium 12 night classical Mediterranean.

My parents who are in their mid-seventies will be traveling with us as well. We are all very much looking forward to our trip.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

That sounds wonderful, and it's so nice that you'll have three generations together for such a nice trip. We have some friends who are traveling on the sailing after yours, so I was checking to see if you were on their sailing. The Millennium has a wonderful itinerary.

Donna

As a former smoker who cruised on Brilliance's 12-night Greek Isles itinerary last June, I can say that the only place where smoking bothered me was at a restaurant in Mykonos. We were sitting at a table on the porch overlooking Taxi Square and the water, and the man sitting two tables over was a chain smoker. Thank goodness the wind was blowing in the opposite direction for the most part. There were plenty of smokers in the places we visited, but I don't recall being bothered by it anywhere else -- and I'm sensitive to it.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

So glad to see Italy has taken a step in the right direction!! You'll be glad you're on the Millie. Had people sail with Costa and they were not impressed with the smoking situation on that ship.

Italy actually has a fairly strict ban on smoking in public places, which started in January 2005. Details here.

Lisa

I hate to be the voice of doom, but the Italian authorities are having lots of problems with compliance with this law in the restaurants. The smoking is still rampant out on the streets too. And I have some Italian friends that live in Padua (near Venice) who are non-smokers that travel throughout Italy during the year for work, and they advise me that the ban is not being enforced very much and due to decades of different behavior, the Italians are not complying. I haven't spent a lot of time in Italy since the ban, so maybe someone else on the boards will have more information on the success of the ban smoking inside restaurants in Italy. I think it's probably like it was in the States 10-20 years ago and that it will get better in some countries in Europe in time.

Donna

Hello There,

if only you were coming to Scotland,

we have some of the toughest anti smoking laws around.

No enclosed public spaces not even a bus stop. shelter.

yours Shogun

AND Scotland is drop-dead gorgeous!

:) Donna

Dear Donna,

I was encouraged by lisiamc's post, but was a little skeptical in terms of how well the ban was being enforced. Your post is not surprising.

It would be interesting to hear from those that have traveled to Italy since the ban. I will be pleasantly surprised to hear anything positive in terms of the enforcement issue.

Shogun --Scotland is beautiful and I would like to return sometime very soon. We had a stop in Scotland on our 2003 cruise on the Constellation British Isles and Norweign Fjords cruise. It was an amazing cruise and our brief stop in Scotland left us yearning for more ...can't wait to return.

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to post.

Nancy

We have traveled many times to Italy since the ban and it is being enforced and the restaurants are being very careful, they don't want to be fined.I know a month before the ban went into effect,many restaurants had signs at the tables saying smoking was banned they even removed all the ash trays.Yes smoking is still allowed outdoors to include dining al fresco..

Tom

Nancy, I just realized we will be in Venice at the same time! You will be going toward home and we will be boarding the Symphony! We arrive on the 16th and board on the 18th.

Not even giving Delta another thought as things are sure to be fine!;) Of our group of 13, we are the only family on Delta. Where did you end up staying in Venice? (hope I'm not repeating myself!)

Take care!

Nanette

Hi Donna and others,

You are most welcome to visit Scotland, for such a small place we have so much to offer.

So many people do not realize all that Scotland can offer the visitor.

Last year I cruised with Princess to Scotland, no point going to see castles etc as I live close by and have worked in some, so went on a trip to the Sheep dog school.

Some thing a little different but one of the best days out I have had in a long time.

Happy cruising.

yours Shogun

Shogun, my hubby has some of your great blood in his veins and one day we certainly look forward to seeing your wonderful neck of the woods!!!! Always fun to meet folks from all parts of the world on CC!!! I was just telling my hubby about your smoking policy in Scotland! We were surprised and pleased. We thought we Californians had the toughest policy! I remember when it was first suggested and NOT very popular! We, as non smokers and alergy sufferers, were most pleased. Happy cruising!

Dear Nanette,

We arrive in Venice on June18th around noon, I believe. We overnight on the ship and then disembark on the morning of the 19th. I guess we will be like "two ships passing in the night" as you will be embarking on the 18th.

We are staying at the Foscari Palace Hotel in Venice. It has been getting good reviews on trip advisor.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. I have a feeling we are going to enjoy the trip so much we may want to disembark our cruise on the 18th of June and "stoy away" with you on the Symphony for "another round"!!

As far as Delta, I really haven't given it too much thought either. Hopefully, things are on the right path. I am just thrilled to have non-stops from Atlanta to Barcelona and then back from Venice. We were originally on Air France with transfers through Paris both ways.

Hope you have a fantastic voyage!!

Nancy

Archived