South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

Juli, I have had Aspen Edge and it is good but the DAB has much more flavor than any other lc beer we've tried. And I believe it is under 2 carbs per serving. It was recommended to us by a salesperson in the liquor store. He said he had tried them all and it was the one he liked the best.

No, I'm not retiring--but I wish!--I am co-owner of a tax preparation business so since April 15 is Friday, we won't be working every day. We only come in on Wednesdays for any one that needs something.

I had a question I forgot to ask before--I found the SB cereal bars at the grocery yesterday. It says for phase 2 and 3. Are they for snacks or as a breakfast replacement? Or both?

I looked for the WATP at Walmart yesterday and they didn't have it :( . All they had were the walk and jog and the walk and kick. I don't think I'm ready for either of them! I'll keep looking.

Linda ~ The cereal bars are a meal replacement. I love the cranberry one. YUM!! Look for the snack bars. They are wonderful. One tastes like a Butterfinger candy bar and the other one tastes like a Million Dollar bar. They are wonderful and completely legal! Only 2 carbs! They tastes like you are being so bad. I love them!!!

The Wizards lost on Sat. night. It was a good game but, we still left defeated. :(

My kid is outside playing right now and I'm about to start dinner. I just wanted to check in.

I worked out this morning before work :). Good start for the week.

I am having a hard time prepping food....where is all the time?

Taxes are finally done...we owe, we owe.....:(

Hope you feel better Cindyrella.

Linda...you are kicking butt lady!!! Looks like SB is really working for you!!

Tami, do you steps convert to miles on you podiemeter? It really seems like you are getting in some serious distance. I was just curious...hope you don't mind me asking...the one I used for a while was very simple and didn't do anything but count steps and tell time.

Off to cook...chicken breasts....veggies and something else...not sure yet???

I'm checking in. Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement. It does help.
After work today I met with a volunteer from the county to do my Mom's taxes. When I left my Mom's house she said "Oh, honey what would I do without you? You always take care of everything--you're my shining star". That makes everything worthwhile. Isn't it funny how when you're at your lowest point a few words can turn things around? Y'all (as Sshelia would say) helped turn me around too and I'm grateful to all of you.

Linda- congrats on your weight loss, that helps motivate doesn't it?

Juli-what brand are the SB snack bars? I haven't seen them but haven't been looking either. They sound yummy though.

Cindy, Awwww!!! That is the sweetest thing that your mom said. Are you feeling better today? BTW, the SB bars are made by Kraft and the box carries the SB logo...can't miss them...look just like the book.

Ann, DH finally got our taxes finished last night and we are receiving a good refund...thank goodness! I HATE to pay. I hear ya about the time...you just have to MAKE time for yourself. Thank goodness I have my DH to help me. He cooks Mondays & Wednesdays. I cook Tuesdays and Thursdays and we eat leftovers on Friday. We share the cooking on the weekends. It makes life a lot easier.

Linda, I've only seen the cereal SB bars also. I didn't realize that they made more.

I worked out really good last night and got up at 4:15 AM today and did another work out. I'll do another tonight. I think the scale is finally moving. :D

Morning ladies!

Glad y'all are getting your taxes done! :D

Thanks for the good wishes on the weight loss. It does help me to keep motivated! Now if I could find the regular WATP and not the jog or kick ones. Any ideas on any other good walking tapes?

It is pouring down here today with a strong probability of heavy thunderstorms and hail this afternoon. :(

Back to work........

I sorry a horrible news story last night. They said that the low-carb diet craze is over and that it was just another one of those fad diets! :mad: They showed a low-carb food store that has gone out of business. Didn't make me real happy. I sure hope they are incorrect. SB has been so good for me and it has really helped with all of the low-carb options that the grocery stores have been carrying.

Had another good day yesterday. Seems like I am getting back in the groove again, now if the scale would start grooving with me.:p

Juli, you have to remember that SB is not a low-carb diet, but a "good" carb diet. ;) I woudn't worry about what you saw on the news. Remember, the media isn't always correct in their reporting.

I'm with you, I'm back in my groove also! :D

Juli- Low carb things are getting a little harder to find around here at the groceries but the Low carb stores are going strong. I just find them way too expensive. My main issue with them pulling LC stuff out of the grocery is that we have gotten used to using a couple of brands of tortillas for my DD. They were 100% whole wheat and are one of the few commercial bread products she can have because they contain neither corn nor egg. Other than that I've found that my reliance on LC products has greatly diminished since I started. I'd have never made the first few months without the bars, sugarfree chocolates, etc.

Cobra- I think the Pacers played the Wizards this week. DS watches them but he ran his mouth a little too much and had to shut the TV off before the games were over twice this week! :rolleyes: There's something about 7 year old boys, I swear! His mouth overloads his brain so often I'm afraid the circuits are gonna short out! :D

I spent less than $4 on my pedometer at Walmart because I lose one ever few months. This doesn't tell time but allows you to set your step length, counts steps and can show either miles or kilometers. With my stride length I get about 2700 steps per mile.

Tami

Cindyrella,
Your mom sounds sooo sweet. It sounds like you two have a special relationship :), vey cool.

Sheila, Your DH is awesome!! How did you get him to do that???...share the cooking. I share cooking with Boston Market, Carraba's, Applebees and the deli in the grocery store.

I'm not paying attention to the news about the low carb diets going out either. I agree with Sheila, SB is about healthy carbs. That was really hard for me to understand, especially after doing Atkins last year. While the weight loss has been slower, it's not like I'm dizzy or getting horrible headaches like I did on Atkins. I actually love the sugar free popsicles and I still eat them almost every other day!! :)

Ann, my DH (John) actually is a MUCH better cook than I am. He likes to cook, but HATES to clean. I do most of the cleaning, but he will try to keep the kitchen clean. He will not do bathrooms except for the powder room and I make him do that one because he's the only one that uses it. It is right off the kitchen so it is easy access. We used to grab fast food all of the time before we started eating healthy. Our friends can't believe that we cook almost every night..LOL!

Juli/Tami, I still see a lot of low carb stuff here in Alabama. However, you have to remember that we are usually the last ones to get anything new so we are usually the last to lose the new stuff. ;) I do buy low carb things...especially whole wheat products like tortillas. I don't buy a lot of low carb bars or candy because they upset my stomach. I do like the low carb yogurt that Blue Bunny makes. It is sooo much better than the fat-free. It is low fat also. If they do away with it, I'll miss it. I just can't see them doing away with low carb products because a lot of people use them. I've been proven wrong before though.

Guess we are missing out here. I haven't seen any bunny products.

Shelia ~ You are right about this being a good carb WOE. I sometimes forget. I just hope that the lc products are not pulled from the shelfs. I really like the lc dressing. I know that I eat more salads because of those dressings. Otherwise I get tired of the same old stuff. I need variety.

Didn't do so good yesterday. I was out running errands and ended up starving so I swang through Wendy's and grabbed a burger. At least I didn't buy any fries.

Juli, you can find the Blue Bunny stuff at any Super Wal-Mart. I haven't seen them anywhere else around here. I love their products and they are also cheaper. Their ice cream is VERY good. Oh and the white chocolate almond ice cream bars are to die for!

Tami, I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to make yogurt! You amaze me. Is is hard?

Linda, how are you doing today?

Hi, everybody. Sorry that I haven't been around much lately, but this is my "go crazy in the garden" time of year. (It rained yesterday, and is too wet outside today, so I tried to get as much stuff done inside as I could.) My dwarf irises have really started blooming, so the "big girls" won't be too far behind. I had a big truck load of mulch delivered this morning for my non-iris flower beds, so I know what I'll be doing the next few days. Spreading mulch is my least favorite gardening chore! I keep telling myself that "next year" I'll pay to have it done.

I, too, hate to see SBD lumped in with all those other fad diets, but have seen fewer carb-conscious choices at the grocery stores... except for the ice cream. More and more companies do seem to be going "no sugar added" or "Low carb". I think Blue Bunny is regional. I don't remember ever seeing it back east, but it's extremely popular in the mid-west... south, too, I think. Someone told me that it has a different name out west, but is the same company. It has been one of our favorites for years.

Shae
PS Juli, do you still have snow on the ground? Bill called his friend in Denver Sunday when he heard about the snow. We hit 80 degrees over the weekend.

Shae, so nice of you to drop in. ;) I've missed you! I also hate to spread mulch. We buy the Cypress mulch and it takes too much money to mulch all of our flower beds. I usually do it in sections so it's not so much work/money at one time. Enjoy your time in your gardens.

Sheila- It's very easy to make yogurt, actually. I use powdered milk, because you don't have to bring it up to temp to kill of the bacteria but I'm thinking of trying it wity soy milk for DS. All I do is mix together 2 cups of water with a couple of tablespoons of yogurt with live cultures in a quart dish. Then I add 2 cups of powdered milk and stir it together. AFter that I add enough water to bring it up the the quart line. Then I put it in my food dehydrator. Some people just sit it in a warm place in the kitchen like they would yeast bread since they both need the same temp. I don't because A) I'm paranoid about it getting funky. B) my kitchen is cold and C) I dont' want to give the open invitation for the cats to jump on the cabinet. I know alot of people who wrap it in a heating pad set on low or put it on a register in the winter. It takes 8 hours or so to get thick. I tend to leave it as long as 14 because I like it thick and very tart. After it's done you just toss it in the fridge. Then you just save the last 2 Tbls or so to make the next batch. There are people on my indian cooking list who began with a starter from their mothers and have given a start to their daughters. It really is better than store bought.

Tami

[quote name='WeirdEyes']Tami, thanks for the instructions on how to make yogurt. It is not as hard as I thought. How do you normally "flavor" yours?[/QUOTE]

I either use extracts like lemon or vanilla and splenda or sugar free coffee syrups. I also use it like ricotta and put in a dollop of peanut butter. That's what I'm having for breakfast right now. The other thing would be to put in a pinch of salt and some kind of savory spice like curry or chives and use it as a veggie dip. Just don't salt the whole batch or you'll kill the cultures.

Tami

Morning!

How is everyone this morning? It is a beautiful, sunny day here, even though it is still chilly.

Before I forget to mention it, I will be off line all next week at least. Mama is having surgery Monday morning. We will be going to her house Sunday. I will be staying with her at the hospital and when she comes home (Hopefully Tuesday but maybe not until Wednesday). She does not have internet access. I am expecting to be there through the next weekend but not exactly sure; depends on how she is doing.

On a related topic, do you have any ideas for good carry along snacks for me during the hospital stay? I'll be on P2 then and trying to think of some good things to have with me if needed. Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Tami, thanks again for the info!

Linda, good luck with your mom's surgery. I hope everything goes well and she is home soon. BTW, I normally carry around some sort of nut with me in my purse when I know I'll need an "on the go" snack during the day. What your portions though. ;)

Archived