carnival: kids to buffet before/after main dinner

rossbthompson

My wife and I enjoy the normal multi-course dinner. Our kids (2&4) will probably get impatient.

Is it fiesable to feed them at the buffet before dinner, then drop them off at camp carnival during our meal?

BTW: we will be on the Conquest , with early dinning

Thanks

Ross

There are a number of nights that the kids can dine with their Camp Carnival friends and then go on to their evening camp activities, so you won't even need to take them to the buffet yourselves - just bring them to the buffet restaurant and sign them in with the counselors. The Camp Carnival dinners are usually the same time as the early seating. If the dinners aren't scheduled on a particular night (I remember there were no camp dinners the first and last nights), they can go to the buffet and then to camp.

You might want to try dinner in the dining room with your kids. On our first cruise DS was 5 and DD 25 months. We ate dinner in the dining room every night.

The key for us is having a booth. It allows the kids some freedom of movement without getting in the way. Also, DD put her head in my lap one night and took a little nap, which she couldn't have done if we were in separate chairs. So far, we've been assigned to a booth for 4 on each cruise. I always check early with the maitre'd the first afternoon on board.

On the first cruise, our waiters brought their main course with our appetizers, and their dessert with our main course. It worked very well. We've also started experimenting with ordering them appetizers (the fruit cup is a favorite.)

They have a children's menu in the dining room, or the kids can order off the main menu. You can also get the pasta of the day with no sauce. Just add a little butter from the table, and some parmesan, and instant kid-pleasing alternative to chicken fingers and PB & J!

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

We cruised last year with 4 grandchildren, ages 5, 5, 4, & 3. We had a table and a booth, but found the long dinners too much for the kids. As someone stated earlier, several night you can take your kids directly to the buffet where councilers meet them and they eat with them and the other kids and then go to Camp Carnival.

Other nights we ordered the kids food right away--our waiters were great at getting the kids served speedily, and after the first night knew just what they wanted--for instance, the three-year-old had a huge plate of fruit and french-fries every night. (I know, I know, not exactly a balanced diet) As soon as they were done, one of the parents took the small fry up to Camp Carnival, which only took a few minutes, and came back to enjoy a nice, leisurely, calm dinner.

Honestly, my kids (now 6 and 2) have always dined with us. They never got bored during the meals. We did have a friend's child with us at the table on our last cruise and he often left right after the main course to head to the kids club.

The kids clubs do have meals available if you don't think the kids will make it through. But you might want to try one night and see how they do.

I think it does make a big difference the number and ages of children you are dealing with as well as their personality. Since we had four small children very close in age, siblings and cousins, they were probably more restless than just a couple of children from the same family. Also, we were blessed with very active, outgoing kids with not a quiet, calm one in the bunch. They're not naughty, just very energetic, and I think having four of them, all sitting in our group, it made a difference.

We wanted them to experience the dining room and all except the 3-year-old-who could have cared less- enjoyed dressing up and the general formal ambiance--for an hour or so. Then they were ready, and we were too, for Camp Carnival.

I have cruised three times with my kids (now 7, 10). They have always eaten with us in the dining room, except on the nights they could eat with the Camp counslers. They always handled the dining room well and the waiters always catered to them and entertained them. All three cruises were on Carnival.

My kids will be 8, 9 and 11 when we sail in August. I have selected the late seating for our dining preference. While my kids will probably eat with us once or twice during the cruise, they have already decided they would rather eat at the buffet early, and head to camp while we eat.

Archived