CBS news today - Carnival cruiser dies

Cotton

This was on CBS today. The young lady died in October, but her family has hired Gloria Allred and is now suing Carnival. I don't remember hearing anything about this particular case.

The name of the ship isn't mentioned. So - I guess it could be one of Carnival's other lines. I wish the media would be clearer on these things.

Here's the link from this morning's news:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/05/earlyshow/main1472710.shtml

I don't understand why the boyfriend continued his cruise. You'd think he would've stayed with her body at least until her parents arrived.:rolleyes: Seems a little odd to me.

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. It was Carnival, and like most of these things, it is goofy.

Boyfriend didn't stay with her body? Some boyfriend. I guess he needed to stay on board to console himself with all the free food.

Or maybe he had loungers saved that he just couldn't give up.

Or, more likely, the best place to be so that the Mexican authorities wouldn't take a sample of his blood to see if he had methadone in his system would be on board the ship in international waters.

Unfortunately, how many families find out their kid did drugs when the coroner tells them.

Personally, anything Gloria Allred gets involved with is suspect. Her biggest claim to fame is that she claims she is famous.

Mark T

This is an old story that the media won't let go. Since Gloria Allred is involved, it'll be all over the news again and again.

An autopsy was preformed and the results were as follows. "The official cause of death was listed as toxic effects of methadone, but Barnett's family insists she never did drugs." Of course she never did drugs, most parents don't know their kids are doing drugs.

Before I get hammered for that statement, I'm the past president of a chapter of PAD. (Parents Against Drugs) A local organization that was started by a group of concerned parents who didn't know their kids did drugs either. You'd be shocked at all the 10-11 years old that have tried drugs. So for a young girl to go on a cruise with her boyfriend and suddenly have Meth in her system. Maybe it was her first time and maybe not but to sue Carnival over her death for doing something they had no control over is ridiculous.

Oooops. Sorry, Irish, I didn't know this had been posted before.

I just got home from a cruise last night, and saw this on CBS this morning, so didn't know it was old news. (I see that Serene posted it on April 6 - guess I missed it back then.):o

Oooops. Sorry, Irish, I didn't know this had been posted before.

I just got home from a cruise last night, and saw this on CBS this morning, so didn't know it was old news. (I see that Serene posted it on April 6 - guess I missed it back then.):o

LOL Cotton no need to apologize.. just letting ya know that there were some more responses to it you might be interested in reading;)

Hey Cotton I missed it too, I was in Ustin TX that week and had no access to the boards.

I read the other thread and I still do not know how Carnival is at fault here.

Why did the BF continue with his cruise, I guess by yelling for help he did what he needed to and since she was already dead what harm could come now, hey the drinks were still being poured and I am sure he had shore excursions booked, so why mess up the rest if his vacation just becasue someone dies in the cabin.

OH WELL.

Archived