can we get a gondola ride on our own in venice?

Hi! For those of you who have visited venice recently, how easy is it to get a gondola ride in venice? (i don't mind if it's a group gondola ride). my cruise co. is asking $99 per person USD! i'm pretty sure there's gotta be something cheaper out there - or are they that hard to come by? and how much are they on average?

thanks!

There are many, many gondolas all over Venice--it is very easy to take a ride on your own.

In 2004, we spent 80 Euro for a 45 minute ride. We had asked gondoliers all over Venice during the two days we were there, and the price was always the same. That's for the gondola, which holds six people--so if you have some friends, it can be quite reasnoable pp.

As Andee mentioned, 80 E is average. All the gondoliers will bargain with you. If you are not comfortable with their bottom line, say politely thank them and move on. You wiil find one you are happy with. It is cheaper with a few more people, but that's not very romantic;) .

missyal

I've not taken a ride on one - we decided not to - but there were always gondolas free in the evening outside our hotel, which was just by the Doge's Palace.

My guess is you could bag a better bargain once the cruise ships had left - which is when Venice is at it's best anyway.

I can't be certain however, and something tells me that I have a memory of there being city official rates.

I can't see that there would ever be a problem getting your own gondola in Venice. They are literally everywhere. The price is about 80 euros and that is for up to 6 people.

they are available all day and evening. There are huge pens of them near San Marco and lots around the Rialto bridge.

It's also lots of fun to ride the vaporetti that go along the main canals. You get to see a lot. We were in Venice last year for three days before our cruise so bought a Venice card and got our money's worth.

We got our own gondola! We were crunched for time because our ship was leaving at 5 pm and we arrived late in Venice. We took the water taxi over to St. Mark's Sq. and my niece just went up to a gondolier and negotiated a price. I think we paid about $70.00 for 4 of us. This was b4 the euro went into effect. We only had about a 45 min. ride but it was worth it! You certainly don't need to book a ride through the ship. Very easy on your own.

As suggested, you just walk away if the price seems high.

Before you get into the Gondola when you agree on the price be sure to verify the length of the ride along with any particular places you want to go by. Be sure to include the Grand Canal. While it can be pricey, taking a gondola ride in Venice, at least once in your lifetime, is very special.

Keith

Archived