Ports of Call General Question

dnj628

When visiting your Ports of Call, I know that you need to have your S&S card to get on and off the ship...but do you also need to carry your passport with you on shore excursions? Will a copy do or do you need the original passport?

There are varied opinions on taking the original or a copy of your passport ashore.

Personally, I would never be on foreign soil without my original passport. A copy is not an official document, and many countries/islands would not accept a 'copy'. (Copies can be altered.) If you encounter any problem in a foreign port, you will need the original passport.

But yes, you definitely need a form of photo ID, as well as your S&S card when leaving a port. Some port officials check these, others don't.

When visiting your Ports of Call, I know that you need to have your S&S card to get on and off the ship...but do you also need to carry your passport with you on shore excursions? Will a copy do or do you need the original passport?

In the Caribbean there is no need to take your passport. In fact, a number of the smaller lines collect and keep all passports at embarkation and do not return them until you debark for good, so you have no choice in the matter.

Until recently I understand that Carnival held the passports on all non US nationals on the same basis, so clearly they are not needed.

Having said this if you want to take them do so, but make sure you protect them as if they were gold.

Archived