Any security for wheelchairs/walkers left outside mosques?

cusyl

I have been told by a guide in Istanbul that although wheelchairs/walkers can not be taken into the mosque, they will provide one inside for you. (One that has not been outside and gotten the wheels dirty)

My question is, and I hope someone knows, if you leave your personal wheelchair/walker outside is there anywhere to check it so it won't be stolen?

It depends on which mosque. The Blue Mosque had good staffing when I was there; no people were specifically designated as security but it didn't really matter. Aya Sofya is more like a do-it-yourself museum, I don't remember any staff there except the gift shop. Suleymaniye Mosque basically has its own little courtyard behind gates. Perhaps someone else will have more information based on which one you will be going to, but I do recall that it will depend on the individual mosque you are visiting.

I was advised that there are many steps going into the mosque and the best way to gain entrance would be to go to the left side at the exit and there would be a person there taking donations that would let me enter that way and would keep an eye on the walker.

Archived