Verizon Air-card

Undrhil

Hey everyone! I have less than 2 weeks til my cruise (not *quite* in the single digits yet, but it's getting there!) and I had a questions. I've searched the forums and the most I can find it about Verizon cellphone usage and that doesn't even answer my questions.

I have a Verizon Air-card for my laptop which lets me connect to their EV-DO network from anywhere I can get a signal. I am hoping that there is someone else out there who has one of these cards or a phone equipped with the same service and was able to use it from the various ports. I'll be on the Fantasy on May 13 which is going to Grand Turks, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. I'll probably be able to get a signal in Nassau but I don't know about the other two.

Also, anyone know of any "free" hot spots on those locations? Heck, even if it's a pay-per-use cafe... as long as it's cheaper than on ship. :)

Undrhil

Hi Undrhil,

Have you called Verizon? They were more than helpful when I was checking cell phone useage for our daughter Danielle who is working in the spa aboard the Fantasy. The sales person I spoke with said it depends on your plan and your phone what service is available. This was 2 months ago, I'm sure things have only gotten better concerning service. Our plan didn't cover her using her phone outside the US for a price that was affordable.

Danielle said Cingular was the plan most often used from Nassau, but that isn't a help to either of us.

I'll look forward to seeing what others post.

Have a great trip!

Jill

Just my opinion but I would highly doubt that you will get EVDO or even 1XRT in those areas. They both require special equipment at the cell tower and backhaul to the Internet.

It's not getting the signal that's the problem as cell service is available throughout the world it's the equipment and network you are connecting to that makes the difference for your data pipe.

As already recommended, I would contact Verizon directly. Be prepared to call at least 3 times as most of the people you speak with will not have a clue about your question and may just spit out random BS to get you off of the phone. You may want to be sure you are speaking with data services tech support which is usually more advanced. Escalation to a supervisor may also be needed.

Lastly, even if it WERE (and I highly doubt it is but I've been wrong before...) available, I would expect some type of high cost to use it.

Good luck.

Fred

Hey everyone! I have less than 2 weeks til my cruise (not *quite* in the single digits yet, but it's getting there!) and I had a questions. I've searched the forums and the most I can find it about Verizon cellphone usage and that doesn't even answer my questions.

I have a Verizon Air-card for my laptop which lets me connect to their EV-DO network from anywhere I can get a signal. I am hoping that there is someone else out there who has one of these cards or a phone equipped with the same service and was able to use it from the various ports. I'll be on the Fantasy on May 13 which is going to Grand Turks, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. I'll probably be able to get a signal in Nassau but I don't know about the other two.

Also, anyone know of any "free" hot spots on those locations? Heck, even if it's a pay-per-use cafe... as long as it's cheaper than on ship. :)

Undrhil

Yeah, I figured that as well. Well, at least I'll be able to use it before we leave Port Canaveral and once we get back to Port Canaveral on Thursday. :)

Undrhil

Oooo ... $20 for WiFi access? Hmm ... I don't know if that would be worth it really. I'll take my WiFi Finder with me and maybe I can find an open Hotspot somewhere. I doubt it though. Aren't internet connections on the islands really expensive to maintain? I mean, aren't they per minute, like on the ship or do they have *real* internet which is paid for unlimited use for month? :)

Undrhil

In the US, I believe the standard charge is $10/day for WiFi. Pretty sure the whole Internet access thing on the ship is contracted out to MTN for which Carnival would receive some monies.

The $20 for access for 24 hours would cost $576 on the ship. Real Internet? Unlimited? When a biz, there are many costs including fixed and variable.

WiFi - on the ship or on shore, whatever the cost, is not generally very secure, but if you are looking for free WiFi there are a number of sites that maintain lists.

There are? Oooo ... now I just need to google "free wifi hotspots" or something ... Ooo ... "free wifi hotspots grand turks" ... yeah ...

EDIT: There is a place in Turks and Caicos Islands called 'Pizza Pizza' but it doesn't show Grand Turks on the map, so I don't think I'll be using that one unless it's got a massive output amplifier on it. :)

Undrhil

My Sprint air card worked in Nasssau... that is the only place it worked.

Yeah, I kind of figured the air card will work in Nassau. Well, at least I'll get to upload all my pictures and stuff on the last day of the cruise... or I could just wait til we get back to Port Canaveral and get on my mom's internet connection in Orlando. :)

Undrhil

Archived