What area of Houston to Avoid

hlfdzn

I am cruising NCL Dream in January. I want to book a hotel, but we are not sure which airport we are flying into yet. I am hoping for Houston Hobby, but it all depends on rates. Rental cars are no problem, we plan to come in the night before and for sure will be renting cars. My neice works for Enterprise, I have put her in charge of getting the cars. I just wondered which area of Houston do I NOT want to stay in? I know every large city has their area that people avoid for various reasons. I found a Springhill Suites in Brookhollow, 2750 North Loop west 10, Houston. I really need a suite hotel, since I am bringing 5 kids. How is this area of Houston? Thanks, Melissa

The Springhill Suites at Brookhollow that you mention is a long, long way from either IAH or Hobby and to get there would require driving through some of the worst traffic in the country anhd you would be 30 miles further from the pier! There is also a Springhill Suites at Hobby. However, the area around Hobby is not particularly attractive. I presume you are sailing out of Galveston, about 40 mi. from Hobby. There are good accommodations there. I suggest you search this board for "Galveston". There have been many threads about hotels there

Is the Houston Port called Galvaston? The Dream sails out of HOUSTON as far as I know. If it was Galvaston wouldn't the itinerary say GALVASTON? Now I am confused. The mapquest directions I saw said 14 miles from Bush airport and 23 miles from hobby.....I am from chicago. Traffic does not scare me I think we have some of the worst traffic here, and I am a professional driver. I just would like to know how the neighborhood is....if it is a ghetto.....no thanks...if it is safe decent..fine. Thanks for your input.

Cruises out of La Porte about 30 miles from Galveston. Hobby is closer then Bush, it sounds like the distances got reversed. Stay down in La Porte, Seabrook, Kemah or the NASA/Clearlake area.

Attractions are Space Center Houston (NASA), and the Kemah Boardwalk.

La Porte is somewhat industrial, but all those little cities should be safe.

Hi hlfdzn,

If you don't want to stay in Houston, we stayed in La Porte last winter before our cruise. It's a very nice area. We stayed at the La Quinta, but I see that they have a Comfort Inn & Suites there. Check their website for more info.

The cruise port is about 5 minutes away (at the most!). I'm pretty sure most of the hotels run a shuttle from the hotel to the port (La Quinta did, for $5.00 pp).

I'm glad you are a professional driver! We got very confused before we found La Porte. :confused:

Hobby is the closest airport.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Plant

I found a brand new Holiday Inn Express and Suites which is taking reservations beginning Dec 06. Breakfast included and they had the suite which I needed since we are bringing 5 kids with us. Hopefully Grandma won't mind having one of my kids on her sofa bed. Thanks for recommending LaPorte, this is the best solution I can think of since we don't know where we are going to get the best deal on Airfare yet. This puts us right where we need to be for the next morning. Thanks again....no more guessing about neighborhoods of Houston....LOL

melissa

I'm from La Porte originally and while it isn't the prettiest place any more, it is very safe. If you like Mexican food there's a place on Main Street called El Rancheo's that is wonderful! Looks like a dive, but great food.

Thanks for the tip about the food! I know the best places are usually the little hole in the wall places. We have one here by us that people hardly know they sell food, but the make everything to order and it is yummy!!!! I am pretty pleased with my choice....now to find some decent airfare!!! Melissa

Archived