dive operation in Belize

Has anyone used a good dive service in Belize...I will be going with a group of 8. Some of the post on Belize are making me a little nervous. Would appreciate some advice from someone who has dealt with a experienced dive operation they felt comfortable with.

Thanks!

Sea Sports Belize is a first class operation.

I had the privelege of diving with them this past January.

You will need to be in port long enough to tender in and back on either side of your dive trip, but I can't imagine anyone not being happy with this outfit.

If you look through some of the older posts on this forum you may find a review I did of the diving in the four ports we visited from the Valor - Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Costa Maya - there is a detailed description of my experience with SSB in that post.

EDIT: Here's the link to my post - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=289474

Just back from the Miracle in April. We got on shore and found a dive op that flew us to Ambergis Caye (15 minute flight) and back, including r/t taxi plus our dive for $150 pp. In 5 hours, we saw Belize by land, air and sea. It was an unforgettable experience, and I wouldn't do it any other way. It sure beats the 1 1/2 hour boat ride to the reef. The dive shop was called Aqua Dives, it's located in San Pedro. There will be many people holding up signs for various excursions when you get on land and unfortunately we missed our dive excursion through the ship (and we heard it was an unpleasant ride out to the reef) so we tendered ashore to find an outfit that could get us diving within the hour.

Thank you both for the info. It just makes you feel a little better if you have a recommendation from somebody with experience. I have read some not so great reviews about Belize and was getting a little nervous about diving there. Now I feel better.

Thanks again!

I highly recommend Hugh Parkey's Dive Belize Connection. They are a 1st class operation. Also they pick you up at the ship and return you to the ship if you are cruising. They have small groups per guide and have fantastic boats. On your surface interval, they provide great snacks and all the soft drinks/water you can drink. You cannot go wrong with them, trust me as I have used them several times.

have a great time diving!!

Just back from the Miracle in April. We got on shore and found a dive op that flew us to Ambergis Caye (15 minute flight) and back, including r/t taxi plus our dive for $150 pp. In 5 hours, we saw Belize by land, air and sea. It was an unforgettable experience, and I wouldn't do it any other way. It sure beats the 1 1/2 hour boat ride to the reef. The dive shop was called Aqua Dives, it's located in San Pedro. There will be many people holding up signs for various excursions when you get on land and unfortunately we missed our dive excursion through the ship (and we heard it was an unpleasant ride out to the reef) so we tendered ashore to find an outfit that could get us diving within the hour.

Hi FiliLady.

I also found out about this dive op http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/tours.html

Glad to hear you had a good time with it. We're going on Miracle in Aug. I was considering Hugh Parkey as Seasports won't go with less than 4 divers. One problem I thought was Hugh Parkey will only drop off at the ship and if you want to see Belize at all you'll then need to tender to shore.

Ecotours requires tendering to shore, but as you said you get to see Belize, air, Ambergris Caye, and sea. Ecotours needs 3 to go for their dive trip (and 3 for their snorkeling tour), but said they have never had to cancel because of not enough people yet. So it's sounding like a good tour.

I also found out from them that they arranged with Maya Air for that first flight of the day 7:30am to fly over the reef before landing in San Pedro. Most other flights just fly directly to San Pedro so you see the reef to the east.

How far is Aqua Dives from the San Pedro airport? Do they drive you there or is it within walking distance?

How far is Belize municipal airport to the cruise terminal?

Thanks a lot.

Archived