Debarkation 101

The family will be in its first cruise in June, and I've heard good things and a lot of bad things about the debarkation process on these boards. Would anyone share their observations and opinions about debarkation? Is it usually organized, or chaotic? Is it best to be first in line or wait the crowds out a bit? There's so much info to be found on the subject here on the boards, it's hard to piece it together for the big picture.

This is the best piece of advice I've come across on the boards, and I had to just had to share it! Thanks unknown author!

"For first time cruisers, here's the best tip ever, there will be some things that don't meet your expectations, and some things that surpass them. Someone will get a better deal than you did, someone will not follow the guidelines, somebody will cut in front of you, and someone will let their kid(s) be unruly. DON'T expect everything to be perfect, it won’t be!"

I agree that is terrific advice!!

Now as for debarkation. If you need to be off the ship quickly or early, you can do the self-assist. They are the first ones called. Keep in mind though that a lot of people use the self-assist and from what I've observed it is the most chaotic option.

I like the old wait till you colored tags are called option. I like having that extra bit of time in the morning, not rushing around, and I can squeeze in just a bit more of official vacation time before getting off the ship and back to realty.

You will find a lot of differing opinions on this subject, but for me I would never do self-assist unless my travel plans dictated I be off the ship quickly.

I too use the old tried an true wait untill your color is called method. We sleep a little later and eat a leisurely breakfast. Then nap in a lounge untill our color is called.

Debarkation is a crap shoot. Sometimes it's a breeze and sometimes it's not. When it comes to debarkation and embarkation, plan for the worst and hope for the best. As long as you are not in a hurry you should be ok. If you have to catch an early flight, I would recomend Self Assist or visit the purser's desk to get priority debarkation.

So if my flight leaves Tampa at 2:00 pm, should I do self-assist or take the more leisurely color-coded option? My docs say that you shouldn't book a flight any earlier than 2:00 (which I didn't know when our TA booked the flight). We're signed up for the Carnival airport transfers, if that makes a difference.

You should be OK esp. since you signed up for airport transfers. Carnival likes to take care of their own first. Most of the time you are off of the ship before 10:00 (with the colored tag option) and 8:00 with self assist. Leaving you plenty of time with either option.

I have been on a ship that had trouble with some passengers and we were on the ship till after noon. Many people missed flights. This is the exception not the rule.

Be sure to attend the Debarkation talk hosted by the cruise director. If you miss the talk you can catch it on your stateroom TV. I would recommend attending the talk, there will be staff on hand to answer any questions you may have regarding your specific situation.

Good Luck!

Be patient, when there are 2000 + people trying to get through one door it is going to take some time. Self assist or called by color it is going to take some time. We have been on a number of cruises and have never just walked of the ship. Any way I always hate to leave the ship but they always make me get off.

It really depends on the cruise and what time you arrive in port and how fast the ship can clear customs. If you arrive in port early in the morning say 4:00am the ship can be cleared by customs by 5:30 and self assist can get off the boat at 6:00am and they can call colors an hour later.

Or the customs dogs can pee by several passengers luggage and said passengers have to be taken away in handcuffs and international passengers don't report to the specified lounge so your ship doesn't get cleared untill 10:00. You could be on the ship for a while.

As far as the order the colors are called, there is none. I've been on ships were the called the high decks first and went in order down the ship. I've also experienced the reverse. I've also experienced them pulling colors out of a hat. I guess it depends on the mood of the cruise director.

BTW they don't check to see if your color has been called to let you get off the ship, many folks just hop in line when the first color is called ( I politely wait untill my color is called).

We just got off of the Fantasy this morning. The ship docked aroung 6:00 and self-assist was supposed to start at 7:00, but actually started about twenty after. We were in the last group of colored tags called (no rhyme or reason to the order) at 9:30.

Be careful in Pt. Canaveral about leaving before they call your color. They now have luggage carousels like in the airports instead of having the luggage spread out all over the terminal. I may be wrong but there only appeared to be two carousels, so if you go down early you may be standing around for a while before they send your luggage out. Much rather be sitting on the Lido deck!!!!

just off the Victory..personally I dont mind the color calling method,,,we dont need to rush anywhere (our flight this time wasnt until 3) but I did notice that they stilled called colors for self disembark and they seemed to be about an hour later for calling everyone...we didnt get off the ship until I think 10:30 and by the time we got to FLL it was noon (glad I didnt book the 11:45 flight).. dont know what order they call people..last year we were on the first level of the balcony and we got off last..

I've heard good things and a lot of bad things about the debarkation process on these boards.

I wouldnt get so stressed out on the Debarkation process or dwell on it throughout your cruise, it will all fall into place. Debarkation has never been a problem with us, the only problem is knowing that your cruise is over and it time to make that long journey back home. We like to exit the ship first hand and like to be on the bus no later then 8am to head to the airport. If we are leaving from San Diego where we live, we are the last ones off the ship, we sleep in, go up to get some breakfast and relax.

If you have to get off the ship asap because you need to catch an earily flight then all that is needed is the TBA Grey luggage tags, these tags you get from the pursers desk, you need to bring proof of airfare to get these.

Another way to get you off the ship first is the join the Carnival Vacation Club, as a vip member you're on and off the ship first. Youre on vacation, forget about the stresses of debarkation, thats the least of the problems when travelling.

Fred

So if my flight leaves Tampa at 2:00 pm, should I do self-assist or take the more leisurely color-coded option? My docs say that you shouldn't book a flight any earlier than 2:00 (which I didn't know when our TA booked the flight). We're signed up for the Carnival airport transfers, if that makes a difference.

2pm is plenty of time if you are debarking from Miami and youre leaving from Miami, youre usually at the airport way before 11:30am, now if you you have to travel up to FLL, then you could miss the flight due to traffic etc.

What cruise ships leave out of Tampa?

We were on the Valor Easter week and used self-assist debarkation because we had a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale at 11:45am. It was surprisingly organized and easy....we were off the ship by 7:55am and ready to go to the airport. Every 5 minutes or so they called 2 floors at a time to leave the ship, starting from the bottom and working up. I was very impressed!

Do you have to leave as soon as your color is called? We have a very late flight and would like to just hang out until we need to get off, I was thinking 10:00 or 10:30.

No, you dont have to leave when your color tag is called, just take your time and have fun.

We just got off of the Fantasy this morning. The ship docked aroung 6:00 and self-assist was supposed to start at 7:00, but actually started about twenty after. We were in the last group of colored tags called (no rhyme or reason to the order) at 9:30.

Be careful in Pt. Canaveral about leaving before they call your color. They now have luggage carousels like in the airports instead of having the luggage spread out all over the terminal. I may be wrong but there only appeared to be two carousels, so if you go down early you may be standing around for a while before they send your luggage out. Much rather be sitting on the Lido deck!!!!

Actually, they didn't start calling for self disembark until 745. My husband panicked, thought we had missed something.. and we left our rooms @ 740. When we made it to Empress, we heard them calling the Empress and Verandah deck. Who knows what time they actually called Riviera.

Anyway.. we were passing the baggage claim around 815 or so.. it seemed all luggage was already spinning on the carousels. I noticed one couple having a hard time finding their bag, as there was ALOT of luggage there. (Although.. WHY they had a bag waiting on the luggage carousel.... when ONLY self disembark was going on I'll never know) A terminal employee was kind enough to go and track it down for them.

I was a bit disappointed when we got outside the terminal, it seemed pretty chaotic. There was very little direction as to where to go when you got out. Carnival really should handle that part of it better. Anyway.. overall... the process wasn't bad at all.

I've figured out that a taxi is the better/cheaper way to go to get from Tampa airport to the Port of Tampa....But have only cruised once before and we had Carnival Transfers prebooked that trip...this time we're planning on using the taxi each way ($20 for 2 vs. $18 per person). Wondering if there are some or many taxis at the Port once you leave the ship that you can just hop in and go? Or do you have to call a taxi to come specifically for you. If so, it might just pay to book the transfers back to the airport so our ride is secured.

Can anyone tell me if they've waited somewhere other than their assigned area? Leaving next week on the Paradise, and I'd like to sit on the Lido deck until our color is called, if possible. Possible?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

"I'm goin' where the weather suits my clothes."

Can someone explain the self assist? This is the first time for us on Carnival and not sure how it works. We are going to Orlando for a few days after and would like to get off the ship as soon as possible :)

TIA!

Deb

They didn't call colors on the Inspiration. After the self-assist people, they just had an all-call. We waited for 20 minutes or so until the lines thinned out and still had plenty of time. The people that got up right after they said we could leave just ended up waiting in a long line.

The family will be in its first cruise in June, and I've heard good things and a lot of bad things about the debarkation process on these boards. Would anyone share their observations and opinions about debarkation? Is it usually organized, or chaotic? Is it best to be first in line or wait the crowds out a bit? There's so much info to be found on the subject here on the boards, it's hard to piece it together for the big picture.

This is the best piece of advice I've come across on the boards, and I had to just had to share it! Thanks unknown author!

"For first time cruisers, here's the best tip ever, there will be some things that don't meet your expectations, and some things that surpass them. Someone will get a better deal than you did, someone will not follow the guidelines, somebody will cut in front of you, and someone will let their kid(s) be unruly. DON'T expect everything to be perfect, it won’t be!"

we were on the fantasy 4/10 .we slept until 8:30 ..(room stewards woke us up) got dressed , walked up one flight of stairs and were off the ship at 9:00 ,found our luggage and in the car by 9:15 .. don't know how we got so lucky:D

We are just back from Carnival Miracle and had no problem debarking. Room steward knocked on the door at 9:00am. We showered,followed the signs and were off with our luggage in hand in 10 minutes at 10:ooam.

Have fun!

Tim

Usually the night before your cruise is over you put all your luggage outside your door, except what you'll be wearing (hopefully) and they collect it during the night, and you pick it up at the cruise terminal when you get off the ship. With self assist you have to be able to carry all your luggage off yourself you keep it in your cabin and carry it all off yourself. :)

Archived