Quebec City

I would really like to visit the Chateau Frontenac when the Maasdam stops in Quebec City. Is the distance from the cruise pier to the hotel walkable? Is it free to get into the hotel (is it worth seeing the inside)? Or is it best to take some tour that stops at the hotel?

Walkable is a very subjective issue. I would walk in a flash, but my 75 year old mother-in-law would never make it. The route from the pier to the hotel is uphill (and upstairs or a finicular) all the way. Most of it is on cobblestone streets which are beautiful BUT make the walking more difficult. Only healthy fit people should atempt this. Print a map from google so you don't get lost.

The hotel is spectacular and can be seen long before you dock in Quebec as it sits high up and looks majestically over the historic city. It is most certainly worth visiting.

Like most hotels, you can walk around the lobby, visit the bars and restaurants, and poke your nose in the gift shop without doing an official tour. If you want to hear the history and see more, you might want to do a tour. When I stayed there I saw many huge groups being dragged around by a guide, not my idea of fun.

Make sure you save time to walk along the "promenade dufferin" which is the board walk in front of the hotel.

Hope you enjoy your visit to "la belle province"

I live just outside Montreal and have visited Quebec many times, will try to answer questions about either port.

Thank you. Sounds lovely. We are thinking about taking the "City Tour and Montmorency Falls" excursion which stops at the hotel. That way we can check it out and maybe walk back up to it later if we want. Has anyone ever been to the Falls?

We took the tour you are talking about and it was very good. I don't think the walk from the ship to the hotel is bad, though. I have some trouble walking and I made it easily.

The falls are magnificent. You will enjoy them. Quebec City is one of the most beautiful cities I have seen.

Sue :)

Archived