How long should items go unattended on chairs before removing them?

Ltvscout

How long should items be left unattended on a chair before removing them?  

345 members have voted

1. 1. How long should items be left unattended on a chair before removing them?

First let me start by saying I'm not condoning taking people's items left on chairs. I'm only wondering how long you feel items can be left unattended on a chair before moving them elsewhere. Whether that be on the ground, given to lost & found, thrown overboard or taken back to your room. ;)

Although I would never "take" anyone's items, I feel 30 minutes is fair enough time before moving the items. (Either putting them under the chair, on another chair, or giving them to lost and found). This way, people who leave for a few minutes to go to the bathroom, or grab a quick drink don't lose there spot, while chair hogs are can think twice before leaving there stuff again. If questioned by the owners of the items, and if you don't want to be rude (and possibly kicked - as a previous poster stated), simply tell the person that it has been over a half, and since you know that carnival does not allow chair saving, you figured the person forgot their items, and you didn't want them to get lost. If you are polite, hopefully the person will just find another chair (probably by moving someone ELSE'S stuff, but hey, that's not your concern!)

I think 30 min is also right, however last time I checked, Im not everyone, so I doubled the time for my vote to give a much more than fair ammount of time.

After 1 hour a note should be lift on thier chair offering the free stuff to whoever would like it. :)

1 hour should be the limit, that would give the person plenty of time to eat, relax in the pool or it in the shade awhile. After that the towel attendants should remove the articles and place them in a bin.

I agree that an hour is reasonable. Figuring that lunch takes the longest time away from the pool, you shoulnd't need more than an hour to eat, maybe run back to your room for 5 minutes, then back to the pool.

I think 30 min is also right, however last time I checked, Im not everyone, so I doubled the time for my vote to give a much more than fair ammount of time.

After 1 hour a note should be lift on thier chair offering the free stuff to whoever would like it. :)

I agree. I think it's rude to leave your stuff on a chair for more than 30 minutes, but I wouldn't actually move someone's stuff unless it had been there for an hour. I think if you go to eat lunch and plan on taking over 30 min, you should take your stuff with you or put it back in your cabin. I would never go to lunch and leave my stuff sitting in a chair that whole time.

This is of course, assuming that empty chairs are scarce. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving my stuff out for 30-60 min. if there were plenty of other chairs available, and I would never move someone else's stuff if other empty seats were available.

Ltvscout- Thanks for the poll! :)

Although this will be my 1st cruise on May 13th I am going to be strolling around most of the decks while onboard. If there is an at-sea day where chairs are at a premium, then the wife and I will be sure to keep an eye open as to vacant chairs of over 1 hour. I will move things and while wife stays I will turn things into Lost and Found. I will also tell whoever comes looking that that is what happened to their things.

Do you guys really stay around long enough to time everyone? I think I would just move on:)

I don't plan on hanging around... but if I get to the pool and see saved empty chairs, I will ask someone around if they have seen anyone in the last 30 mins or so,,, if not.. their stuff will get moved!

As for people that save thier chairs while LEAVING and having lunch for an hour, sorry, but give it up for someone that has already had lunch and has moved on to the next activity! I personally would not leave my stuff if I was leaving the deck. In the pool,yes... but out of sight..No.

So, IMHO... If someone has been near by and seen a chair empty for 30 mins... Its gonna be MY chair now!

IMO, saving chairs while you go inside and eat a leisurely lunch is wrong. 30 minutes is more than enough time to take a dip in the pool, grab some drinks, get a quick bite to eat TO BRING BACK TO YOUR CHAIR, etc. If you're leaving to spend time elsewhere on the ship, take your stuff with you so someone else can use the chair.

JMHO. :)

I would give someone one hour, in the event that they might have went to the Lido buffet to get something to eat (you know how slow those lines can be!)

If no one returns within 1 hour, I say remove their things. Put your towel down, stretch out & relax! The chair is now YOURS.

If you can't go pee or get a cocktail in 15 minutes... you deserve to lose a chair.

The exception would be if you came back to your chair soaking wet from the pool or spa... that would be proof that you are enjoying both the pool area and your deck chair.

If you need to go to your cabin or to get something to eat... please be mature enough to pick up your belongings and take them with you.

Come back dry after 15 minutes.. you should lose your chair.

I agree that an hour is reasonable. Figuring that lunch takes the longest time away from the pool, you shoulnd't need more than an hour to eat, maybe run back to your room for 5 minutes, then back to the pool.

Thats a bunch of BS, if you get up to go eat lunch, the chair is up for grabs period. Now going to the rest room is different, I would let a person close to me know I will be back, just going to the rest room.

As for me I dont give a rats ass because I go to the funnel deck for my chairs which there are mostly empty.

I would give someone one hour, in the event that they might have went to the Lido buffet to get something to eat (you know how slow those lines can be!)

If no one returns within 1 hour, I say remove their things. Put your towel down, stretch out & relax! The chair is now YOURS.

Who in the right mind will wait 1 hour for someone to return, will there be a Cooking timer on the chair LOL. Bingo starts in a few Minutes, shoot time to go!!!

Fred

13 cruises and I have never "lounged" in a chair by the pool. Looks like I have finally found a positive for the sun not being my friend!!!

BTW, I still think my 30 minute kitchen timer (without the "ding") would work. If the timer is on 0 and no one is in the chair...it is free game!!!

And when the previous occupant came back, there would be no confrontation necessary. They would know the their time had run out.

Who in the right mind will wait 1 hour for someone to return, will there be a Cooking timer on the chair LOL. Bingo starts in a few Minutes, shoot time to go!!!

Fred

This is what i was saying a few posts back. Who in the world would waste their time waiting for an hour to see if anyone would return to their chair?

There are other chairs around. Does everyone have to be right in front of the pool? There is so many other things to do then to worry and complain about this issue:)

I have never been unable to find a deck chair or chairs. This deck chair hog thing only occurs around the pool. I wonder why that is? Unless you have children in the pool or want to swim in the pool, which is really too small to swim in, deck chairs are available all over the ship.

So this poll should probably be limited to deck chairs around the pool.

IMO, saving chairs while you go inside and eat a leisurely lunch is wrong. 30 minutes is more than enough time to take a dip in the pool, grab some drinks, get a quick bite to eat TO BRING BACK TO YOUR CHAIR, etc. If you're leaving to spend time elsewhere on the ship, take your stuff with you so someone else can use the chair.

JMHO. :)

I totally agree! It's as simple as that, why can't people get it :rolleyes: !!!

First of all I do not believe in hoging a chair. If I as suggested by most everyone waited 30 minutes and then take another person's chair I would not want to run the risk of a confratation. Seems to me that getting into a fight over a chair is stupid. Unfortunately there are ingorant people who would fight over a lousy chair. I would prefer that the Carnival police enforce the rule. However , I doubt they do.

Just one point of view.

Robb

There seems to be a REAL problem here, given the amount of posts on this issue. I don't go on vacation to fight about anything. However, this could ruin a part of your vacation. IMO Carnival should post a reasonable time limit for "saved" chairs. Security should remove items from chairs after that time has passed and take to lost and found. We address this issue with parking tickets in real life and it works fine. Having to go to lost and found would be a deterrent.

It appears that a large % of chairs near the pool are not being enjoyed because of this issue. Common courtesy for fellow passengers should be enough, but that is obviously in short supply. If chairs were not saved, there might even be enough for everyone present, at least most of the time

Just a guess, but the offending folks are probably the same people we have all waited on, for hours, to go to customs before we can get off the ship in port! If it is a problem on your cruise, address it on your comment cards.

Somewhere there is a sequence of pictures on one of the Conquest ships showing 3-4 hours of the Lido deck. Around the pool there are few if any chairs vacant but on the other decks there are plenty of chairs available.

What's the big deal for saving or hogging chairs around the pool? What a crazy thread, right along with jeans in the dining room and kids in the hot tubs. It's a vacation for heaven's sake. If you want a chair there's always been plenty to go around.

There's always people who don't give a damn what they do and could care less what others think or what the rules are. It's not just on the cruise, just take a look around your own community. Why does anyone think people would react differently on a cruise. Not!

Archived