Vancouver Info if needed

My question what can we do ? Trolley ?

and how do we get from the Cruise terminal to our Hotel, which i'm booking this weekend... What is a good area.... Hotel names, would be great..

then with a 10:30 pm flight can we do a Late check out and still enjoy Vancouver?

What is the best way to get to the Airport ? and $ ..

thanks, our 1st Canadian experience.

Heard it's Beautiful...

What CAN'T you do in Vancouver is an easier question to answer!!! We have an awful lot of things to do... seriously, come back with more info about what you all like to do (or hate to do) and it will be much easier to suggest the best things for you - there's no such thing as a Must See for everyone IMO.

On the more specific Qs: how to get to hotel depends which one. Any downtown hotel is going to run you a cab fare on the order of $10 or less, all metered so traffic can impact, but even one as far away as you can get and still be downtown on a heavy traffic day expect to pay about $15. Many hotels are easy walking distance - the pier is in the heart of downtown, not out in industrial wasteland.

With 4 adults, a minivan cab should fit you and extensive bags - there are less of these, around 17% of cabs total, but they charge the same price.

To the airport expect to pay around $35 (again metered). SkyTrain might be faster depending where the hotel is, and always cheaper going to the airport ($4pp max, less depending on day and if your parents are 65+ then Concession fares are even less - as low as $1.75pp). You have to pay in Canadian Cash, or use a credit card to buy transit tickets though. Taxis will take USD (and a not-great exchange rate) as well as credit cards.

Nowhere downtown with hotels is a bad area - Vancouver is one of the safest spots to 'book blind' on bidding sites. As long as you restrict the area to downtown proper and avoid making any silly mistakes like booking in West Vancouver (a different city across the water) instead of the West End of Vancouver, or Vancouver WA instead of BC, you'll end up in a well-located hotel. Downtown is compact enough that every hotel is very close to some of the attractions, and even the further ones are rarely more than a mile away.

The typical chains are almost all here, as well as some well-regarded local hotels like Blue Horizon (probably the best value hotel with views, it's pretty tall), L'Hermitage (a swanky condo hotel consistently rated the best in the city ion Tripadvisor), three downtown Fairmonts (fancy chain that evolved from the old Canada Pacific train hotels) and the Pan Pacific right on top of the cruise terminal. On the budget end the best value downtown by a country mile is the YWCA Hotel - it's not just dorm rooms for student backpackers, they have regular en suite double rooms like a normal hotel too.

I would not expect to get a checkout later than 1pm unless you have serious status in a hotel chain - we run close to capacity in cruise season. They will all keep your bags for the afternoon though.

Edited by martincath

thx...

i will get more info :)

We are 56 . parents are 75 & 82 good health... Not athletic , but good shape.

What is something 1st timers would enjoy ? We like sightseeing, eating..lol

thx...

Barb

thx...

i will get more info :)

We are 56 . parents are 75 & 82 good health... Not athletic , but good shape.

What is something 1st timers would enjoy ? We like sightseeing, eating..lol

thx...

Barb

First timers or not, your personal likes and dislikes are still much more important than what 'most people seem to like' - if all you want is a list of the most popular attractions, frankly you're much better off browsing Tripadvisor ratings than bothering to post questions on a forum like Cruise Critic! Example - Capilano Suspension Bridge is hugely popular with many people, but if you're scared of heights or can't handle a bouncy flexible bridge with hordes of other folks make it wobble unpredictably, that would be over a hundred bucks wasted for your group...

There are enough popular sights in Vancouver to last you a week of touring two or three a day - add in short drive/day trip spots and you could spend a fortnight without getting bored! With just a day and a half, you need to focus on what would be a Big Hit for you and your companions.

Eating is another vast array of options - any particular kinds of food you love or hate? Any dietary restrictions in the group? Budget (dollar value is far more useful than subjective terms like 'reasonable')? Would you all tolerate street food? (that you have to eat standing around or find a random spot to sit down rather than having tables - our food truck scene is huge these days)

Just so it's not all pedantry and queries instead of info, I'll give you some of my personal reccos for dining & sightseeing, focused on things we have here which are impossible or extremely difficult to find anywhere else or things we do really well compared to other places - the Vancouveriest options in Vancouver if you will:

Stanley Park, Queen Elizabeth Park, the Seawall - all outdoors, all free, with a goodly amount of walking or cycling the best way to see them. The first is one of the largest urban parks in the world, lots of redwoods and other mature trees, beaver pond, totem poles, a huge rose garden, more rhododendrons than you can shake a stick at. You can tour it feasibly by the HOHO buses - all have several stops at the nicest bits. QEP offers more trees & rhodos, a couple of quarry gardens that are of similar ilk to the famous Butchart Gardens, and the best views to be found inside the city - the highest point of Vancouver is inside QEP. The Seawall is just a walking/cycling path that surrounds a big chunk of our coastline - at the very least a loop around Stanley Park's exterior is well worth doing for views North, West and South.

Dr Sun Yat-Sen classical Chinese garden - an oasis of calm right in the heart of the city. Guided tours included in entry price (approx $13), tea room, art gallery, and generally acknowledged the finest in the world outside Suzhou, China. If you're in doubt about whether it's worth the spend, try the next-door free park which has less authentic construction but still a Chinese vibe, and shares the same carp pond. HOHO stop outside.

Gastown - the oldest part of the city, with a couple of the most-photographed attractions in the statue of Gassy jack, our first mayor, and the SteamClock (Water St is also a hotbed of souvenir shops for knickknacks, T-shirts, native art and so on). Again, HOHO stop (more than one on the Trolley). Excellent dining options, though mostly higher-end, ditto on shopping for things that aren't touristy - e.g. Fluevog shoes.

Granville Island - frustratingly busy though it gets in summer (frankly we avoid the place like the proverbial plague from mid-May through September except for the odd show - but you don't have the option to visit off-season!) still worth seeing. From houseboats to quidditch brooms, whale-watch tours to haberdashers, sandwiches to fine dining, comedy club to serious theatre, it's got some of everything combined with nice views across False Creek to downtown. Since you're in town on two days and can be a bit flexible, try to avoid lunchtime - every single city tour seems to roll in late morning/early afternoon and drop people off for a wander. Visit early- to mid-morning, or in the late afternoon/evenings - much quieter. Also has a HOHO stop, but a few hundred yards way - all HOHOs now also include one ticket for a ferry over False Creek from downtown, which I strongly recommend you use as the buses take a roundabout route that's not worth repeating.

The Vanier Park 'culture campus' - three museums (Space, Maritime, and City) within yards of each other and Bard on the Beach if you fancy seeing Shakespeare close to how it was in Ye Olden Times. If you do decide to rent bikes for a day this is a good spot to ride the Seawall to - and if you don't want to repeat, take a ferry back to downtown. Again, has a HOHO stop.

Food-wise I always recommend, assuming there's no dietary issues /hatred of the ingredients or style of the food, that the most Vancouvery places to eat are:

Japanese (we have many Izakayas, kind of tapas meets pub; sushi all over; and Japadog is truly a Vancouver original)

Food Trucks (ideal for lunch out & about)

somewhere doing locavore PNW cuisine (depending on budget and willingness to transit/cab to a good resto, there are soooooo many variables in this area it's hard to make just a couple of recos - but if your budget allows, Hawksworth is probably still the single best kitchen in the city and if money is tight, 'Appy Hour at the Flying Pig is one of the best value early dinners in town)

Pubs (more for the beer - we have a very active brewing scene these days - but some pubs also have pretty decent menus, especially if you stick to the classics of pub grub like Fish & Chips or Burgers, and some of the best patios in the city e.g. the Tap & Barrel chain who have convention centre, False Creek, and North Van locations. If anyone is a serious beer fan ask for more info - there are are slightly-off-the-beaten-track areas with multiple breweries where tasting can be done)

Chinese (again, vast numbers here but there are only a few real standouts in downtown proper rather than in the 'burbs - Hons for cheap Cantonese, Dinesty for dumplings, ChongQing for Szechuan, Bao Bei or Bambudda for a more modern cocktail-focused place that's Taiwanese/Cantonese respectively. If you're willing to travel the list increases exponentially!)

Noodles - some spots are very traditional Japanese, Chinese, or more modern and pan-Asian and really it's hard to keep track of who's doing what the best at any given time! Personally I still plump for Ramen Jinya's Premium Pork Broth with Udon whenever I crave noodles - the Robson branch is just across from the central library, another HOHO stop and very recognisable landmark.

Like I said - we have plenty of stuff to see, do, eat and drink! if the above doesn't do it for you, please come back with more specifics about (dis)likes and budget!

We are booked at the both the Blue Horizon and the YWCA. Are there any advantages/disadvanatages to either (except price)? I am struggling to decide between the two. We will be visiting Capilano/Grouse Mountain for sure and if time perhaps Stanley Park, Gastown or Grandville Island.

If price isn't the prime factor I would go for the Blue Horizon - it's a little closer to the center of the shopping core.

The Y is fine too but if there happens to be a football or soccer game at BC Place stadium or a hockey game or concert at Rogers Arena - they are next to each other and basically across the street from the Y hotel it can be noisy with the pre-game tailgate parties etc.

If you stay at the Y you will be closer to Yaletown, Gastown and Chinatown while if you are at the Blue Horizon you are closer to Stanley Park, Granville Island and the shuttles to both Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain.

To my knowledge none of those free shuttles go to any of the hotels adjacent to the Y.

Hope this helps and wish you a great visit to our city.

Cheers!

Dennis

Hi Shoppie we have 9 hours to kill after we get off our cruise ship before we get to the airport for a red eye flight.

We have a private tour company also booked for Saturday June 25th to take us around Stanley Park, Granville, Gastown etc. for 4 hours.

We are looking for things to do on July 3rd to occupy us for 9 hours. We were heading to Whistler but thankfully I posted something and people told me that it's your holiday weekend July 1st and there could be too much traffic to ensure we get to the airport on time.

So I'm looking for other suggestions for sites to see in Vancouver for July 3rd.

Thanks!

Hi Shoppie we have 9 hours to kill after we get off our cruise ship before we get to the airport for a red eye flight.

We have a private tour company also booked for Saturday June 25th to take us around Stanley Park, Granville, Gastown etc. for 4 hours.

We are looking for things to do on July 3rd to occupy us for 9 hours. We were heading to Whistler but thankfully I posted something and people told me that it's your holiday weekend July 1st and there could be too much traffic to ensure we get to the airport on time.

So I'm looking for other suggestions for sites to see in Vancouver for July 3rd.

Thanks!

Shoppie hasn't posted since 2006...

Sounds like you've basically booked a private version of the generic Vancouver City Tour from the spots you list. That should cover all the basic where things are side of things, and most of the downtown Big Hits that involve Seeing rather than Doing things. So the next question is - what kind of things do YOUR GROUP like to see/do/eat the most? Without knowing more about your interests it's impossible to recommend the best place(s) to spend your time at...

If you don't want to give more info, just read backwards through this thread and Search the forums for 'vancouver' - there are many posts with examples of things to do, e.g. mine just a handful of posts further up this thread or any one of the dozens of posts by BCHappyGal who has a lengthy list of possible activities in her sig.

Thanks Martincath and honestly I have no idea where I read Shoppie's post! OMG! I'm at 142 on this tread and I could have sworn that I was reading the most recent posts. Sorry still learning my way around cruise critic :)

I'll do some reading. I've posted that we are a group of 8 13 years old, 21, 24, 48, 52 & 73! Big mix! Not able to do a lot of hiking and walking. We have one wheelchair and my dad who is 73 can walk but not for miles and miles. We have so much time on July 3rd I would like to make the most of it. I was considering the museum of Anthropology but don't know if the younger ones would be interested in this. We don't have to be in the heart of the major tourist spots we are willing to travel a bit to see some of what Vancouver has to offer. I will go back and see what I can find on this thread and do some more reading. I still want to know how I got to page 142! LOL

Thanks Martincath and honestly I have no idea where I read Shoppie's post! OMG! I'm at 142 on this tread and I could have sworn that I was reading the most recent posts. Sorry still learning my way around cruise critic :)

I'll do some reading. I've posted that we are a group of 8 13 years old, 21, 24, 48, 52 & 73! Big mix! Not able to do a lot of hiking and walking. We have one wheelchair and my dad who is 73 can walk but not for miles and miles. We have so much time on July 3rd I would like to make the most of it. I was considering the museum of Anthropology but don't know if the younger ones would be interested in this. We don't have to be in the heart of the major tourist spots we are willing to travel a bit to see some of what Vancouver has to offer. I will go back and see what I can find on this thread and do some more reading. I still want to know how I got to page 142! LOL

No worries - just realised that shoppie started this thread over ten years ago(!?) but literally just posted in that first month, never to be seen again. Odd how it's been so long-running with such a brief tenure from the OP!

MoA *might* work - not so much for the younger ones perhaps, but it is a genuinely fascinating museum so anyone with an interest in (primarily) Native peoples to this neck of the woods, and anthropology in general, will certainly find something to enjoy. It's not cheap - though with USD worth a good premium, cheaper to you than us! - so unless more than just visiting the totem pole room entices, value is poor.

The reason I say it could work is what else is around the location - out at UBC there are other museums, like the Beaty Biodiversity (whale skeleton is right in the foyer, free to see that, but downstairs are thousands of animal/plant/insect/etc etc samples in drawers and display cases), Botanic Gardens (with a treewalk for the more adventurous and mobile), Nitobe Gardens for those with an interest in formal Japanese culture (tea ceremonies performed in the teahouse on occasion), and all the other things that come on a large university campus - architecture, nice safe walking paths, pretty surroundings, plenty food options. The nude beach at the bottom of the cliffs might not be to everyone's tastes, but between all the options you might find there's something different for all close by that it's easy to split up and then meet for lunch.

Getting there is a bit of a hassle by transit, but given you were talking about a group private tour to Whistler it sounds like you have the budget for a couple of cabs. A wheelchair cab will fit the chair in back with up to 4 other seated passengers, so two cabs will work nicely for you all. Ballpark $35 on the meter per cab, same as going to the airport.

You only list 6 ages above - are there some twins or did you miss a couple of folks? If there are a couple more on the younger end, then some other combo attractions that might work well to split into groups for could include:

Dr Sun Yat-Sen Gardens (small, easy pace tour for an hour, wheelchair accessible) is only a few blocks from Science World. While not the biggest science centre around, it's worth a couple of hours activity - which maps quite nicely with the second group splitting off to the garden, doing the tour, pootling around again themselves for photos or stopping for tea in the teahouse, then meeting up again. From here you can walk further up into Chinatown for lunch, or down to the Athletes Village - see where everyone stayed in 2010 (no big rings or cauldrons here though, but it's finally a bustling neighbourhood with lots of restos & pubs).

The Vanier Park museum 'campus' also works well to split up - Maritime Museum, City museum, Space Centre all have their different fans and are all worth about 90mins. You can reach these on a False Creek Ferry from the Athletes Village (NB: not Aquabus, they don't go all the way to the museums).

The Vancouver Urban Winery and Postmark Brewing are just around the corner from the Police Museum if some folks would rather sit and sample local brews than learn about Vancouver's criminal past;-)

And of course if you have a couple of phones with roaming on to keep in touch, there's no reason that you can't have the group split up and do totally different things in totally different places - unless you leave downtown, it's hard to be more than two miles apart anyway!

We are leaving on a Tuesday, our flight is at 8 PM. We will be leaving from the Westin Grand. Any suggestions on what time we should leave the hotel? Thanks!
Here's a possible timeline....

• 4pm order cab
  • 4:10 get in cab.... normally the trip is 30 minutes.... however traffic can be busy during commuter hours after work from downtown.
  • 5pm arrival at airport for check-in, customs, and security (hand, body, luggage, carry-on's, liquids, weapons, ULU's, and WMD's).
  • 8pm wheels up with fantasies on your return to Vancouver

Thanks for all the ideas Martincath! I'm looking into some of the things you and some others have suggested.

I only listed 6 people because the other two are the same age (our spouses).

We're still hiring landsea for the day on July 3rd because we will have all our luggage with us. I didn't cancel the tour company just Whistler that we had booked.

Here's a possible timeline....

• 4pm order cab
  • 4:10 get in cab.... normally the trip is 30 minutes.... however traffic can be busy during commuter hours after work from downtown.
  • 5pm arrival at airport for check-in, customs, and security (hand, body, luggage, carry-on's, liquids, weapons, ULU's, and WMD's).
  • 8pm wheels up with fantasies on your return to Vancouver

Thank you. I was figuring around 4. I'm wondering if our Global Entry Cards and TSA pre-check will do us any good?

Thank you. I was figuring around 4. I'm wondering if our Global Entry Cards and TSA pre-check will do us any good?

TSA pre is useless as there are no TSA staff - but GE will get you into the short security queue, and the usual special line plus minimal chance of secondary inspection by US CBP staff who are on-site at YVR pre-clearing you.

Since you don't need to worry about long security or immigration queues, arriving even 2 hours pre-flight would be overkill for just getting to the plane on time - but it will mean that after you cruise through quickly you'll have time for a sit-down dinner before boarding the plane. Prices are a wee bit inflated at the airport, but with our weak dollar probably still a bargain for you. I'd call a cab at 5pm if I were you and expect to be sitting down to dinner by 6:15pm

Thanks Martincath and honestly I have no idea where I read Shoppie's post!

I still want to know how I got to page 142! LOL

Most likely the post from Shoppie you were reading was at the beginning of the thread. The reply you wrote to him went to the end of the thread (page 142), since posts are displayed in the order they were written. (Is that all clear as mud?)

Example -- your post was on page 142, but this one I'm writing will be on 143.:p

Linda

Thanks Linda! I'm starting to get the hang of these boards. This was so complicated in the beginning LOL Tons of info on here. There aren't really any other websites for reviews on the Celebrity Infinity cruise that are recent. I use Tripadvisor all the time but that lead me to cruise critic. :)

Staying at the Four Seasons, what are some good restaurants serving "Pub Food" not to far of a walk? How far is the Steam Clock and Fly Over Canada from the Four Seasons. Hard to judge looking at a map.

Staying at the Four Seasons, what are some good restaurants serving "Pub Food" not to far of a walk? How far is the Steam Clock and Fly Over Canada from the Four Seasons. Hard to judge looking at a map.

While I'm happy to recommend restos, and will, you'll find life much easier for this query and many other future travel plans if you spend a few minutes learning how to use online maps.

Google, Bing, whatever seems to have the easiest-to-grasp interface for you. Specifically, learn how to input directions - all the modern map sites have multiple modes of transport involved, from shanks' mare to bikes to public transit to cars, and when it comes to questions of how far way anything is from anything else that's by far the best way to get an answer that has objective units (actual distance in miles/yards etc.) rather than subjective 'a few minutes/blocks' since walking speed and size of blocks vary by the individual and city...

For example, here's a Google Map with all three of your spots highlighted - just look at the detailed directions and it will break down the distance from each sight to the hotel (in this case a little over 1km to FlyOver, a little under to Steam Clock).

On the resto front, pub grub near the four seasons has many options, depending how close 'not too far' means to you:

If you can walk up to FlyOver Canada OK, then one of the best patios in the city is the same distance - Tap & Barrel at the other side of the convention centre. Excellent selection of local beers and wines on draft, as you might guess from the name.

Slightly closer but in the same general neck of the woods (on the way between FlyOver and Steam Clock actually) are two branches of Rogue, just opposite the Conv Ctr and inside Waterfront Station. Steamworks is just across the carpark from the latter at the top of Water Street, but while their beer continues to be good the kitchen continually disappoints despite common ownership with Rogue - I still have no idea why the same owners can manage to have near identical menus made so differently!

Further down Water Street, past the Steam Clock you'll also want to see the Gassy Jack statue - and right across the square from it is another popular patio, Chill Winston (great people watching, but food is nothing to write home about) and just beyond them the Portside Pub (much better food than CW, but only a teenytiny outdoor space - water views though).

Continue up past the Portside along Alexander for the single best-curated list of beers in Western Canada (and some excellent grub) at the Alibi Room, but be aware that you are getting into the dodgier parts of town around here - anything east of Gassy Jack is outside tourist territory and into very, very low income areas with lots of booze & drug problems. Alexander itself as far as the Alibi and a touch beyond is safe enough, but you might see things you'd rather not especially if you veer off to the south or further east.

Walking Map from Tap & Barrel to Alibi with all of these places on is right here. Bang on one mile from end to end.

Edited by martincath
added links to all pubs

I have booked Park Inn for 2 nights before our cruise. Is this too far away from everything ? Thanks

The one on Broadway? Full name Park Inn and Suites by Radisson? If so, it's across False Creek from the downtown core. Very close to VGH, a large hospital, so good if you get injured but ambulances will be zooming around now & again with sirens on.

Because you have to get over the water on a limited number of bridges (or under in a tunnel on Skytrain) it's going to involve a lot of extra walking to most tourist spots - it's pretty much halfway between Cambie and Granville bridges, so assume you're walking a mile extra to and from most of the downtown core sites.

Not so bad to Granville Island - downhill, though coming back up it's steep - and if you want to check out some of our newer breweries there are several due east of you that are much more conveniently visited from here than from downtown hotels. You're a mile closer to Queen Elizabeth Park than the downtown core hotels, and it's also a good location for getting out to UBC for the many attractions there or Vanier Park for its trio of museums plus Bard on the Beach.

MANY buses pass along Broadway all day and night, so a transit pass would be a good investment - but be aware that morning/afternoon rushhour is usually standing room only or even no room at all on the most popular buses like the 99 to UBC.

Broadway itself offers some excellent dining options, with probably the best Dim Sum restaurant in the city just along the street from you (Dynasty), and Tojo's, (a super-swank Sushi spot) on the high end, as well as cheaper fare like Peaceful (Chinese), Banana Leaf for Malaysian, native cuisine at Salmon & Bannock, and tasty Peruvian nibbles at Chicha. Branches of Cactus Club Cafe, Earls, and Rogue are all there too, plus various (inter)national chains (even a Denny's if you're desperate).

If you stick with the hotel, consider spending some time in Mount Pleasant - a neighbourhood relatively few tourists see. Centred on Main St which has tons of bars and restos, some excellent coffee spots, quirky shops with very few chain stores, as well as the afore-mentioned breweries. if you like to get off the beaten tourist track, this is a 'real neighbourhood' that's often overlooked.

Keep in mind... the Hop on Shuttles don't make it to Broadway.

Cactus Club is nearby... but if you want to try something Asian... check out the "Peaceful Restaurant". The noodles are made as you order. You can look through the glass window.

Edited by xlxo