On Today Program: Luggage Lost

LHC

The Today Program did a special on lost airline luggage and the wonderful place in Alabama where everything is kept and sold.

What is it you pack in your carry on and could you cruise out of that one piece of luggage for the entire duration?

Linda

Knew about that place along time ago from another news report.

And this summer is suppose to be very bad with a lot of lost luggage. That's why we have put two luggage tages on each piece as well as our names inside the luggage. Actually the luggage tages on the outside have the name of the hotel that we are going to pre-cruise - also put that address inside the luggage. Then on the return flight for home I put our home addresses on everything.

Quite a number of years ago we each got small carry-on bags from American Tourister that are on wheels and can be used as a back pack. Tried to replace them and found out that American Tourister no longer carries them.

Mine carries both medical bags and DH's has the camera equipment, sunglasses and a couple of other small items. We can get our travleing jackets in them but that is all - no other clothes.

Thus we always take 4 suitcases with everything for both of us spread over them. Hopefully we will never lose all 4 bags.

I have been to the Unclaimed Luggage store in Scottsboro, Alabama and what a place.

I felt badly for all those people - the wedding dresses and alot of clothes with the tags still on, gifts, baby things etc.

MaryAnn

We each us a roll-aboard bag that is the full number of inches permitted and a jam pack them full.

We carry on necessary meds, changes of 'undies', swim suit for each, shorts for DH, all basic toilet articles, sunglasses/spare prescription glassesfor DH, camera, change of shirt/jersey/blouse for each, jewelry, travel umbrellas, snacks for plane.

We could not cruise with what we carry but we can manage for overnight and the first day in a hotel. Because we always fly to port at least a day early, we could go shopping if necessary. (I always flys in a decent pair of black slacks and wear a shoe I wouldn't mind wearing to dining room. I can always have 'outfits' if I pick up some tops if I have black slacks with me.)

I have been to the Unclaimed Luggage store in Scottsboro, Alabama and what a place.

I felt badly for all those people - the wedding dresses and alot of clothes with the tags still on, gifts, baby things etc.

MaryAnn

When I see news reports about the lost luggage warehouse, I always wonder why the airlines didn't make a little more effort to get this luggage to the owners.

Is it possible that all of those hundreds of thousands of suitcases had no name tags on them? That they only had one tag that fell off??? Don't most people put more than one tag on their suitcase for just that reason?

I sometimes think in people's excitement they only use the ID's given to them by the airlines or HAL to tag their luggage. Many people are so cyber-name thieving phobic that they hate giving their real name and address plus a working phone to any thing...also, if people get new luggage or stuff prior to a trip they forget to ID it.

Amazingly, I got a carry-on from Travel Smith today. It came to my work address and I am excited to use it (weighs less than 5 lbs and is hardsided) but man when I looked at it I thought no way I could use it for even the bear necessities for a 10 day cruise. DD normally packs everything into one large suitcase taking a large duffle in case she exceeds the luggage limit and then transfers some into the duffle and checks both, repacking the one when she gets to her airport destination...so hopefully at least one of the bags would get to her. Maybe we need to rethink what goes into the duffle just not throw things in to meet the weight requirements. Some how the idea of using the subway to get to the airport and dragging three bags with us each and then maneuvering around the Atlanta airport is so very unappealing but showing up for a great cruise with just some toiletries would be a bummer too.

LHC

Always tag the bags on the outside (if you are paranoid, there are tags that hide your name,etc) and ALWAYS put a copy of our complete itinerary in at least one outside pocket of the bag.

In recent years I try not to carry too much in the carry on as it is heavier that way, but outbound the fear of lost luggage usually wins. The 50 lb limit on baggage is also limiting -- our wheeled bags are not particularly light so due to the weight limit we now carry three or four checked bags where we used to be able to get by with only two. More bags, more risk of loss and definitely more hassle when we need to organize the bags on our own.

I always put a full sheet of astrobright paper into each piece of luggage, right on top, including the camera bag and carry-ons, with all our information on it. I keep the master in the computer, change the info and print a new one for each trip. As I understand it, no... most people only have a tag on the outside of their bags. But if they are lost and the tag is ripped off, or the whole handle, the airlines will look on the inside for I.D.

Besides the usual info, I put our pre-cruise hotel, all the ship info, including departure time, and first port, all our ph#'s, HAL's ph#'s, stateroom number, departing and returning flights, even the port contact if I have it (On Princess I did). They will be able to find me:) .

Just one of those things you hope you will never have to use.

On our last cruise in March, We were headed to FLL from LAX, everyone was on the plane, the door closed, the Captain announced we were ready to taxi, and then the plane didn't move. :confused: Then the Captain comes back on the PA, and with slight embarassment announced that they had FORGOTTEN to load the luggage, and that our departure would be delayed about a half an hour.

They FORGOT to load the luggage! Just goes to show- things happen.

On our last cruise in March, We were headed to FLL from LAX, everyone was on the plane, the door closed, the Captain announced we were ready to taxi, and then the plane didn't move. :confused: Then the Captain comes back on the PA, and with slight embarassment announced that they had FORGOTTEN to load the luggage, and that our departure would be delayed about a half an hour.

They FORGOT to load the luggage! Just goes to show- things happen.

At least they remembered before you left FLL. I was on a full flight from Detroit to Harrisburg, PA several years ago. When we landed in Harrisburg, a total of 10 bags came off the plane.

I went on a 3 night cruise last month, with only a rolling carry on and an over the shoulder carry on.

When I travel, I always have in my carry on, at a minimum, my makeup, my medicines, my toothbrush/toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, jewelery, books, at least 2 changes of underwear and socks, a change of clothes, and something that can be used as a blanket (usually a pashmina because it is thin but warm and can double as an evening wrap if need be). Packing this way has come in handy many times, not just for cruises. Coming home from a cruise in March, the flight from SJU to DFW was overbooked. I took a bump knowing that I was going to be put up in a hotel in Dallas overnight. Got to Dallas and almost every flight was cancelled, delayed, or overloaded due to bad weather. As I stood waiting with about 30 other people for a ride to the hotel, I got several envious looks from people because I had any kind of luggage at all. Many people on the shuttle to my hotel didn't even have a toothbrush for the night - and it wasn't a hotel that provided one for free.

i checked in at an airport one time and was talking to the person in front of me and when i got to the desk the person behind the podium assumed that i was travelling with that person becasue we were talking and put luggage tags on my stuff to her destination ---didnt find out til i got home and no luggage --- reported it --stuff was found and delivered to my home around midnite ----thats why i always check my luggage tags before leaving the counter ------i also check the name on the credit card when it is returned to me in a restaruant or any other place where i actually hand the card to someone for processing but thats another story

Always tag the bags on the outside (if you are paranoid, there are tags that hide your name,etc) and ALWAYS put a copy of our complete itinerary in at least one outside pocket of the bag.

I fill out the little form that comes with a heavy duty luggage tag - putting down my first initial and my last name, then the name of the city and state in which I live and I give them my home phone number. Having done that I reinsert the form, placing it backwards so that anyone glancing at my luggage just sees a blank card. If my luggage gets "misplaced" then the airline should know enough to pull out the "blank card" and find the pertinent information.

Needless to say, I put a sheet of paper inside my checked baggage with my full name and address and my itinerary. It had never occured to me though to put a copy of my itinerary in at least one outside pocket of the bag. Great idea, thanks.

Valerie:D

My luggage tag was done at the local PetsMart. I just used the machine to make it instead of a dog tag. Then I attach it to my luggage with a really strong (break your finger nails) key ring. It stays very well. The handle would have to break off to lose it.

Full details inside, of course. Actually, inside the suitcase and inside the front pocket. I don't want the luggage people to have much trouble finding the necessary info.

If I am flying in and will see my luggage before the cruise line gets it, I will wait until then to tag it for the ship. One less piece of paper to get caught, one less piece of confusion for the humans involved.

And I *always* check both the routing and the destination if there is more than one flight involved.

I must observe that even with all of this, it is still a little bit heart stopping to have your luggage be the last off a really full and very large plane. Happened to me in Rio. Well, someone's has to be.

to all of you thanks.

The dog tag from Pet Smart now that is a real idea. I could get two. One for my new duffle and then one for the new rolling case

DD says I will be overweight (not a personal offense, although it could be at 52) no matter how much lighter my new bags are said to be.

What do all of you actually put in your bag carry on?

I liked the suggestions from California AC, so what do others pack in their carry on...must have...cannot live without for the cruise?

Linda

P.S. I actually got up from work took a couple of my business cards from work and slipped them into my two new cases. I will laminate a few and keep them on standby for all my stuff.

Our two bags, which WERE tagged and had itinerary inside both disappeared on a flt from New Orleans to Midway Chicago on SW Air a few yrs back. Had 2 intermediate stops enroute but no change of planes, so i have NO idea what happened to them. Speculate they may have been stolen off the luggage carousel at Midway as we were delayed a bit getting to baggage claim.

At any rate, filed a claim with Sw for about $3400 (amazing when you add everything up) and to their credit, although it took nearly 5 months to resolve, we got a check for $3100.

Needless to say, ever since, we stand at the carousel and hold our breath until luggage appears. Ours has been misdirected a couple of times since, but always shows up within 24 hrs. (knock on wood)

We took DS to his college Sneak Peek last month and made a real boo boo.

I forgot to pack my contact lens case and solution in my backpack. After many delays and of course our luggage got lost we arrived at the hotel and I had no contact lens stuff.

I did have some eye drops and used made a make shift case, but was miserable the next day when I put them back in. And to top it off I had packed my glasses in my suitcase too which I normally carry in my backpack.

We were running late and just wasn't thinking - it was suppose to be a 2 and half hour trip to Florida and ended up taking like 12 hours.

I won't make that mistake again.

Foxy,

Nothing worse than painful, dry miserable eyes to ruin a good time. Believe I would have bit the bullet and bought a case and stuff at the first drugstore.

How was the visit?

LHC

We each us a roll-aboard bag that is the full number of inches permitted and a jam pack them full.

We also each use a roll-aboard bag and cram them full. A swimsuit is a must for me, plus undies, medications, reading glasses, etc. I have a slinky knit black skirt and a knit sparkly top I also take which would be acceptable (but not my first choice) for formal night. I always wear black slacks and black shoes and a nice, comfortable top on the plane. My husband wears his sports jacket with a polo shirt and nice slacks with his dress shoes. He puts his jeans and tennies in his carryon. While we couldn't cruise out of our carryons, we'd be OK for a few days until we could go shopping.

My husband flies over 150,000 miles a year. While he's had relatively few problems with lost luggage, it has happened him several times, and it's VERY annoying. We took our kids to Walt Disney World last year and MY suitcase got lost! Our first day at Disney, I had to wear what I'd worn on the plane. We've been debating the pros and cons of using paint pens to write our names on the outside of our suitcases.

Robin

Archived