Radiance Door Locks question

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and wonder if someone could answer a question for me? :) It's a long way out, but DH, myself and our (then) 4-year old son will be travelling on the Radiance to Alaska in 2007. We will be staying in an OS, and never having been in one before, I'm wondering what the door locks are like, both for the cabin door and the balcony?

DS won't ever be on the balcony without us, but I just want to be sure that we will have some means of locking the balcony door adequately, as, even now at only 3 years old, he's already well over 3 ft. tall. Additionally, even though DS isn't a wanderer, the fact that this will be our first trip since him being out of a crib has me (the worry wart mother :p ) obsessing about whether or not he could possibly wake in the night and leave the cabin - is the only lock on the cabin door the one near the handle?

If anyone can help me out, I'd be really grateful - thank you!!

The balcony door has a child lock on it. I can't remember excatly how it worked since I didn't need it. I just remember the decal next to the door with an arrow pointing up with the words "child lock". The door does not have a dead bolt or anything that is too high for a child to reach. There is a twist lock but a child might be able to figure out how to open that one. I don't have kids so I don't know how ingenious they can be.

It's a lock on the side of the door--fairly high up and a bit hard to manuever. Unless your 3 year old is very strong, I don't think he'd be able to work it, even if he can reach it. Like you said, keep a close eye on your child and he'll be fine! Have a great cruise!

I was on Radiance with my 5yr old niece as a roomie. Those balcony doors are HARD to open. As an adult, it even took some muscle. Your son will be snug as a bug in a rug. :)

Tracy

Thanks for such speedy replies - I'm glad to know that there is a child lock on the balcony door!

The cabin door only having a twist lock has me a *little* worried - my son is definitely tall enough to turn them (and does!). Do any of you usually do anything to secure the door in some way, or is it just not really a problem? I'm just a little nervous about being settled into a deep sleep and possibly not hearing the door IF it were to happen. Hotel rooms usually have the bolt or chain near the top of the door, so I haven't ever worried about it before.

Thanks again!:)

Archived