Changing cabinmates once aboard ?

Hi-

Lets just say a friend asked me this hypothetical question. ;)

Once you board, is it possible and how is it done? Can you easily swap room mates?

Here is the hypothetical situation. Carnival has a rule that there must be a legar guardian over 25 if the occupants in the cabin are under 21. So, 2 cabins are booked. One cabin- Parent/Dad and 20 year old son, one cabin- Parent/Mom and 23 year old son. The cabins are on the same deck, about 4 cabins between them- they are not adjoining.

Booked as such for the reason steated above and the fact that although these are well behaved, mild mannerd, quiet and respectful young men- they just don't think a week long cruise would make them the most compatible cabin mates. Fast forward to embarkation day. The brothers decide that they will give it a shot- this roommate thing, after all- they did it all those years ago, so why not for old times sake. Plus, folks are treating for the trip as a reward for Deans List and other academic and athletic acheivement these guys have maintained thur far in their college careers ( I TOLD you they were good kids!)- all hypothetically of course.

Sooooo - Dad switches his cabin with son#1 and moves to the other cabin with Mom, leaving sons 1 & 2 to bunk together. But here lies the issues- 1. The Sail and Sign cards no longer match the names of the cabin occupants. Dad and Moms S&S are on their credit card- Both Boys have cash accounts on their S&S cards. Can they go to the purser to change the cabin occupants names- or will they balk due to above age policy?

2. If Dad takes his card with him- it will not open his "new" cabin, nor will the sons S&S open HIS cabin. It DOES help that son # 1 and Dad have the same names ( Jr & Sr)- I think that will help- yes/no???

Has anyone have a suggestion as to how to proceed, ' er, answer my friends hypothetical question on how this can (or has ever been) done?

I would imagine that SOMEONE may have had this happen or knows of someone who did something like this and would be able to share info. The object here is to see if this is really a bad no-no (yes- I guess it is against the rules). But I would really like to know if it is possible and how. Just to answer my friends hypothetical scenario. I mean, I REALLY would like to know- just for informational purposes.

Seriously, my first inclination would be to go to the pursers office and ask. There will be 24 other family members- from the grandparents down to the great grandkids- so there will be no rowdy behavior or funny business going on. The kids also think that their folks, who are springing for the trip, deserve some "quiet time". After all, Mom has to rest up to prepare herself for all the school laundry and vacation laundry she will have to do when they return home!!

Thanks for any info you can share. If you flame me for being a scofflaw rulebreaker- I will just have to deny I am asking for myself (the truth!!) and pass that info on to my "friend" and let her take it from there.

Appreciate it!

Okay, I made it through the first sentence and knew what you were saying... shouldn't be a problem, go to the pursers desk and ask. If your cabins are booked together, they will likely be close by, and that is what Carnival cares about. You are booked with your parents... people do this all the time.

It's no problem. We did that on our last cruise. Just get extra door keys for the cabins. My dad and my younger brother (18 years old) tried just switching sail and sign cards. Was my dad miffed when he couldn't get a drink! He had to hunt my brother down...switch cards and that's when they figured out that an extra cabin key would work much better! Once on board, the Carnival staff could really care less who sleeps where.

Brevity has never been my forte'.

I will let my Friend (SIL) know. It really is'nt my question. I will be with my DH and DS -4 yrs old. As the groups unofficial leader & organizer- I am fielding lots of ?'s from Virgin Cruisers about things that I never even thought about before. My travelling trio is MUCH easier to coordinate.

I am sure I will be back with more "hypotheticals" before we sail. I just fear showing up aboard and having people point fingers at me saying "THAT"S the one doing all the ..... (insert illegal/ immoral/ naughty) things she asked about on CC". I really was expecting to be flamed off the boards. Of course, the day is young.

Be sure to hang onto your own Sign & Sail card, even if you get extra room keys from the Pursar's desk! We have a Jr and Sr, who thought they could just switch room keys since their names were the same ...until they tried getting back on the ship and their pictures didn't match the photos tied to their sign & sail cards!

I put a dab of nail polish on the card that is only a room key, just to make it obvious.

My daughter and I cruised for the first time with my parents who were past guests so I was booked in with my dad and my daughter was booked with my mom. After we got on board, we went to the purser's desk and asked them to switch our rooms. They issued new sail & sign cards to us. Granted, I am over 25 but I don't think there will be a problem if your cabins were booked together.

How will it work with booking excursions, ordering drinks, buying at the shops? They would use their original sign and sail cards for that and the $ would be debited from the own S&S cards, right? I told everyone to keep copies of their receipts so they can check their accounts on the TV and with the final statement they put under the door the last night. I guess they will need to sort out any issues then.

Sorry- :o I seem to be having a senior/blonde/monday moment.

We are going to have the same problem. My sister and I both booked a room and listed one of my children in each room. Now they are 18 and 15 and are in a room right beside ours. We were planning on getting an extra key for each room to correct the situation, but if we are up front with them we would not need to do that and two people would not have to carry around two cards all the time. What do you think the chances are of them giving us the corrct cards with the info on it instead of going through with this....has this happened to anyone before. We are going on the Conquest the end of May.

Trish

I will be having the same problem. Our PVP put me and my mom in the same room and my dh and dad in another room so that we could both get the same deal for past guests (dh and I are past guest but my parents aren't). We will have to switch rooms. I was also wondering about charges to our accounts. How does this all work?

Archived