Any recommendations for shopping in Montego Bay?

cruisinqt

We will want to shop and pick up a few souvenirs when we are in Montego Bay. Does anyone have any recommendations? Frommer's vacation guide for Montego Bay suggests two places. First, he recommend's the "Old Fort Craft Park" which is licensed by the Jamaican Tourist Board. He said it has a lot of vendors to choose from, it's a safe area, and the prices are decent. Next, he recommends the "Craft Market" in downtown Montego Bay. He says it has a lot of variety and is a safe area too.

Has anyone been to either of these places? Are there any other places in Montego Bay that you went to shop and liked? We know that there are a lot of places to shop in the area. Many people have complained that some places were much higher than others. Some people have also complained that they didn't feel safe shopping in certain areas. We have also heard that you are better off knowing ahead of time exactly where you want to go and where it is. I have heard of people that told the driver to just take them to a nice place to shop. Since they didn't give a specific location, he took them to shop out on the outskirts of town. The prices were high and the vendors were pushy. They also noticed the driver getting paid for bringing them out there.

We were told to always use a gov't approved JUTA taxi. We also found out that probably wouldn't have happened to those people if they firmly and confidently told the driver to go to a specific location. We will use a gov't approved taxi and we will know exactly where we want to go. That is why I posted this new thread. I would like to know where the good shopping areas are. We will be on our own instead of a tour. We just want to hit a good beach and do some shopping. I've got a good idea about what beach I want to go to. Now we would like some personal references on where to shop. So if you had a great time shopping in Montego Bay, please share your experience with me.

I wonder if the lack of responses means there aren't any good places to shop in Mo Bay?;)

I have a Jamaica "No Problem" tye-die t-shirt I bought in Ocho Rios years ago. I absolutely love it. It's gotten wonderfully soft from many washings. But, now it's starting to get holes.:( My shopping ambition in Mo Bay is to find another of those t-shirts (or maybe 2) and some real Blue Mountain coffee. I've heard of some people getting their coffee home and discovering it tastes disgusting and isn't the real thing. So, I'm going to be careful about where I buy the coffee.

I always love to shop in Jamaica. We have found that Jamaica has the best deals in the Caribbean because too many people are afraid to shop. There is always a Taj Mahal duty free shopping center with lots of souvineer shops and jewelry stores. It is in the city center, but you will need transportation since the pier is out of the way. Nina, I don't know how you could be certain you are getting real Blue Mountain coffee unless you actually went to the plantations and bought it.

I always love to shop in Jamaica. We have found that Jamaica has the best deals in the Caribbean because too many people are afraid to shop. There is always a Taj Mahal duty free shopping center with lots of souvineer shops and jewelry stores. It is in the city center, but you will need transportation since the pier is out of the way. Nina, I don't know how you could be certain you are getting real Blue Mountain coffee unless you actually went to the plantations and bought it.

A friend got a terrific deal on an emerald in Jamaica. She did her research before leaving and knew what to look for & how much she’d pay in the States. Plus, since it was an unset stone, there was no duty to pay.

I thought that the Taj Mahal shopping center was in Ocho Rios? Is there one in Mo Bay too?

As far as the coffee goes, I’ll get the name of a shop from someone before I leave. From the messages on rtc, it appears that the shops that are selling Blue Mountain cheap are the ones to avoid. And, the coffee you taste at the shop isn’t always what you’re buying. Of course, that wouldn’t effect me because I can’t stand coffee, and won’t be tasting it! I’ll be Christmas/Hanukkah shopping in October, and coffee is on the list.

There are 2 Taj Mahal shopping centers in Montego Bay. One is in the City Center Building and the other is in Half Moon Shopping Village. Glad to see you did your research on the coffee. I don't buy it for me either.

Has anyone ever been to the shopping center above when they were in Montego Bay, Jamaica? Is it near the cruise ships? The store name was the Caribe Diamond Center. They are a dealer of Judith Jack Marcasite jewelry that I love, and I would like to know how far they would be to visit there while visitng from the Conquest the 1st week in September.

Anybody know this?

Thanks!

I happen to love Blue Mountain coffee and I always use Carolyn Barrett with

with Barrett Adventures to help me get "the real thing". In fact I just had her get several pounds for me while my sister and her family were visiting Jamaica last week. Carolyn knows every one there, she is the best tour guide in all Jamaica. Being an American, who lives in Jamaica, she understands what the American tourist wants. We've used her several times and everytime when it came to shopping, she even helped me negotiate the best prices as well as checked on item's availibility BEFORE we arrived. It is great not to waste time looking for things, and to have a personalized tour that is designed around your specific interests.

In fact, she just sent me pictures of a bar she wants my family to visit next time we are there. It is called the Pelican Bar and it is made entirely of drift wood and located on a sandbar surrounded by water. You have to take a boat ride to even get to it!

So if you want to see the real Jamaica and get the best prices as well as the best made crafts, contact Carolyn at info@barrettadventures.com. I highly recommend her! (My sister who just returned, claims that her tour of Jamaica was the highlight of their entire cruise!)

If you do... tell her, Marcia from Texas said Hi!

Thanks for the info. guys. I was beginning to think the lack of responses was due to the poor shopping to be had in Montego Bay. But from what some of you are saying it sounds like the prices there are pretty good. I think the biggest problem is pushy aggressive locals who won't leave you alone. Are the people at the Taj Mahal duty free shopping center in Montego Bay pushy? My parents are coffee lovers and I know they would be delighted to get real Blue Mountain coffee. Can anyone recommend a place to buy real Blue Mountain coffee? Thanks again for all of the help.

I've found every vendor in Jamaica to be pushy. All you have to do is look them straight in the eye and say "No Thank You". Then, just start a little conversation with them, they are really friendly people once you get the hang of their culture.

The prices in the summertime can generally be haggled much lower over the summer than in high season. The atmosphere is much more laid back and the lines are shorter. The shopping in MoBay is great, you are going to have a wonderful time. In general I avoid the craft markets in MoBay, way to pushy and intense for me.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Complete Guide to Duty Free Shopping in the caribbean

• 1 month later...

Archived