2 in a 3 person room

We have two triples booked for our next summer's cruise, but if we add more families and need to more people around, and end of with 2 people in one of those rooms, will we be able to keep it (its an AFT) - my RCL guy said yes, as long as we pay for it (does that mean pay for the 3rd person who won't be there?) Anybody have experience with this?

I'd imagine if they get a request for 3 and you didn't have 3 in there you'd get bumped... but you'd still have a room. Heck they might even upgrade you to get the room back out from under you :)

JC

Since we are traveling with our kids next door, hopefully we wouldn't get bumped - I think we are going to have to keep those 3 in each room!! I have heard people booking the E1 AFT cabins for only 2 people though.

We booked a corner aft cabin (D1) on the Voyager and I called my TA and RCL telling them that if I were to get bumped for not having 3 people in the cabin not only would we cancel but would never use RCL or this TA again. If they are going to bump people who book a specific cabin they should tell tell you at booking that the cabin is not available for only 2 people. If you did not ask for a specific cabin at booking I can see changing you to a different cabin and giving that 3 person cabin yours. I am sure that when you book 2 in a 3 peson cabin that there is a hidden surcharge somewhere. I would also expect this problem mostly in teh summer or prime sailing dates.

I gotta cut back on this strong coffee in the morning, I'm running my mouth here.

Cliff

We last booked when onboard the Grandeur a few months back. It happened that the agent we worked with was a "higher-up" from central reservations, that was filling in for an ill staff member. She told us that if we chose a cabin that had an extra pullman bed, there is no extra charge for the two of us, but if the 3/4 person cabins filled up, they have the right to bump us out to put in a family of 3/4.

We have an E1 booked on Freedom that si a corner aft. We booked it last summer and still have it. No problem. Yo have to keep in mind that they cannot put 3 or 4 people in every room that fits three or 4 people so there may not be a problem.

Schplinky - did you pay the price for 2 people in that cabin (or for 3) - I'm just worried that if we move somebody out of one of our 3 person cabins and end up with only 2, we will still have to pay for 3 (that's what the RCL guy said). I wonder if they charge more for the 1st and 2nd when there are only 2 in a 3 person cabin. Would hate to lose our corner AFT.

We paid the price for two. When I aksed for the room, the RCL agent said it was fine to put 2 in a room for 3 since they can't technically fill every bed on the ship. The charge for the first two doesn't change if there are two or three people in the room. You can tell this yourself by going on their web-site and checking the price for two people for a category and then checking the price for three in the same category.

We sail this September in a corner aft exactly like yours. If you watch the board, I will be posting a review and you will be able to confirm that it worked for us and cancel the third person in your room.

I have just booked two adjoining cabins (one for 2 and the other holds 3 people) and have only paid the deposit for 2 people in each cabin so far. I booked directly with RCI and they said that there was no extra fee to put the third person into the cabin and that we only had to pay for a deposit for two people in the cabin for 3 until the third person is booked. We then have to pay the third person's deposit only at that time- no extra fees. If the third person doesn't come...we only have to pay for the two who are booked in the second cabin, not for the third who didn't come and wasn't booked into the cabin.

Schplinky - did you pay the price for 2 people in that cabin (or for 3) - I'm just worried that if we move somebody out of one of our 3 person cabins and end up with only 2, we will still have to pay for 3 (that's what the RCL guy said). I wonder if they charge more for the 1st and 2nd when there are only 2 in a 3 person cabin. Would hate to lose our corner AFT.

I have 3 people booked for our July cruise..I have been told I can canx that 3rd person up until 7 days prior to sailing and get a full refund for that 3rd person..(Not sure I believe this) but if I do canx that 3rd I will only pay for 2 people..as others have said there are more rooms that can accomodate 3/4 people than the ship can handle..they cannot put 3/4 in every room because they do not have the capacity in others ways, to carry that many passengers. I am afraid if I canx my 3rd person and then before sailing things change I will not be able to get that 3rd back because the ship will be full..so I am playing russian roulette and hoping everything works out and I don't lose any $$.

I have just booked two adjoining cabins (one for 2 and the other holds 3 people) and have only paid the deposit for 2 people in each cabin so far. I booked directly with RCI and they said that there was no extra fee to put the third person into the cabin and that we only had to pay for a deposit for two people in the cabin for 3 until the third person is booked. We then have to pay the third person's deposit only at that time- no extra fees. If the third person doesn't come...we only have to pay for the two who are booked in the second cabin, not for the third who didn't come and wasn't booked into the cabin.

You would actually be better off booking the third person, then cancelling if they cannot make it. The ship can only hold X number of pax, even though many of the cabins are designed for 3-4 pax, not all of them are filled. If you wait too long and the ship is at capacity, you will not be able to book your third party.

Thanks for the replies. Right now we do have 3 booked in each cabin, but I think if my older daughter (21) invites a few friends to go along, she will then move out and we will only have 2 in our cabin - I just don't want to lose that cabin. Our RCL TA said we could still have 2 in the cabin (if we pay for it). Don't know what that meant. Last year we tried to book two connecting triples next to each other, but were only putting 2 in one cabin - they wouldn't let us do that (had to have 3 in each cabin). I think it depends on who you talk to - everybody at RCL has a different answer.

I just booked another cruise this afternoon as well as the one I previously mentioned - booked 2 inside adjoining cabins again and noticed that one of them had the option of 2 pullman beds. I asked the RCCL agent if they would bump us if there were other passengers who needed 4 to a cabin since we were only 2 in that cabin and they said that they wouldn't bump us from that cabins. I asked her again later on in the booking and she said no again...also said that since we booked adjoining cabins and not the 'I' catagory guaranteed cabin, that it wouldn't happen.

Happy ks~ you're right. I thought about it last night and booked the third person on my first cruise when I booked the other cruise...I had the same thought as you mentioned in your post.

I have today just changed a booking I made 6 months ago for August 2006. I had a superior interior stateroom for 2 adults and 2 kids and decided on looking at great guarantee offers on the website, to change it to one adult and 1 child in there and also got a guarantee superior outside stateroom with balcony for 1 adult and 1 child (will be diffrerent levels but who cares!)This cost me an additional £300 on a 4 night booking. The balcony guarantee offer was only for 2 persons (not included on 4 person quotes even though will hold 4). The RCL woman said fine to keep the interior for 4 persons but only use for 2 and she halved what we had paid (ie. £798 for 1 adult and 1 child instead £1560 for 2 adult and 2 kids). If they try bump me, I presume they would have to give me an upgrade as there have not been any superior interiors left for months (only 45 on whole ship) 18 of these are for 4 persons,4 only for 3 persons and the rest for 2. I specifically picked our room number near the stair well. Hope this helps. Oh, and I had to pay £20 per person for the guests removed from the room, ie. £40 for the two who went elsewhere.Hollyanna:rolleyes:

Archived