QE2 left for the Med

A friend has owned for many years a family resort in the Virgin Islands. Last year in their annual "spruce up" they decided to put 4 cup coffee pots in the rooms, as they all have little kitchenettes with a fridge. So, they put in the mini coffee pot and guests asked "Where is the stuff to make the coffee?" So they decided to add a start up kit for the first night with a little note, "Enjoy your first morning's cup of coffee with our compliments in the new coffee pots we added for your convenience. If you need more, it is available in the coffee shop for a nominal fee." Well, you guessed it, some of the guests complained they now had to buy their coffee fixings (mostly repeat guests I might add who for years have not had a coffee pot in their room). And all this began because the owners were giving something as a gift. Some people always want more, always want to know what someone else got, always want more. So whatever spirits you get in your stateroom is a "gift" from Cunard and like everything else, things change constantly, so if you get a gift from Cunard, great, if you get 2 gifts, great, if you don't get a gift - well - you didn't get a gift.

While I agree, in the most part with your explanation, and also that no matter what you "give" folks always seem to want more, I disagree, to some extent, that it is truly a "gift." The money to provide such an amenity, whether free shampoo, coffee, or champagne, is a part of their cost of doing business. When tax time rolls around, I am sure it is configured in operating expenses, and not taken strictly out of their profits. Nothing is ever truly "free" Someone paid for it, at some point. Just like shoplifting or not returning your carriage at the grocery store. We all pay for that, in increased prices (to cover the percentage of loss, or the labor to gather up all the carts lazy people have left in the parking lot- while complaining they are too fat! <LOL> I may be fat AND handicapped, but I ALWAYS return mine, even in rain or snow!)

Just my Opinion, humble or otherwise, though not disputing your premise, wotec. I was pleased with our bottle of "bubbly" (And the only one we got, I might add- we did not get a second one for World Club Gold.) We are also not married, and have two different names. I noticed as we were dismbarking from the Jan cruise, that they had placed bottles for the next cruise outside the doors of the cabins to be placed by the stewards when they finished making up the rooms. It was interesting to note that some were half bottles some were full sized. I don't remember whether some were "sparkling wine" and some were actual champagne. I'm thinking possibly so. This was all on 8 deck, which is the obstructed balconies.

On a related note, at both the World Club and Captain's cocktails parties, we had a great deal of difficulty getting anything at all. In fact, after repeatedly being passed by, our companions (who had gotten there before us and been served) grabbed a waiter who was quite huffy- By this time folks were starting to leave for dinner, and despite having asked several times. waiters were returning to the small galley area of the Queens room with full glasses. After being assured (and showing our pins) that we were indeed Gold Club, they grudgingly handed us 1 glass. Others who had obviously already had plenty, kept getting more and more! I find it amusing, I don't know what it is about us- We were dressed to the nines, 51 years old, but somehow we must have been deemed "Not worthy" by the waiters! Maybe we should have tipped each time they came 'round!

Karie,

who always seems to have that problem when free champagne is being handed out!

P.S. Anyone notice, whether on board ship or in finer hotels in recent years, that they are reducing the amenities and not always giving you new ones each day, but only when you run out (and sometimes only when you ask!)

> I'm interested - we preferred the Princess Grill to the Britannia. It's a long time since I was in the Queens Grill (at least 10 years!) - but when we were there we thought that the food in QG was of a higher standard than either PG or BG.

Not tried the PG so cannot comment. The food is better in the QG compared to BG. Overall though we just preferred the BG to the QG. We felt less crowded in the BG. The high ceilings and large seaview windows certainly help. The decoration is very cool and relaxing done in purple. There seemed less noise in the BG compared to the QG. We liked the way the BG is separated from the rest of the ship accessed down a set of stairs.

> More importantly are they compensating you for the problems

Definitely did not need compensation. The cruise was great. The regular QE2 passengers seemed to take it in their stride, have several future bookings already made and saw no need to cancel. I feel some of the first time QE2 passengers will probably not book again. Our table companions were not overly impressed.

> Did happen to notice that in refit on the webcam there did seem to be a bit of a mess on the fore deck , thought one day l saw flames.

It was a mess but no sign of fire damage. Interestingly the balconies now have sprinklers. I cannot remember if they had them last year.

> I was also interested to hear you thought the B Grill Rest better than QG - were there many items on the a la carte menu in the Britannia Grill and could you order off menu? I will be in the Princess Grill Rest in Sep on QE2 and usually travel in the QG Restaurant so would be interested in hearing your comments - if at all possible it would be great to see some sample menus?

The A La Carte section consisted of about eight items. Not what I would call an A La Carte menu. Very inferior compared to the QG.

At lunch, the dinner menu was provided and it was made clear we could order anything else within reason. Identical in tone to the QG last year. I think you have to be reasonable and give them notice but that applies in the QG too. One of our table companions did not give any notice and they still managed to provide the item.

I will scan some sample menus and email them to you. Probably not this week though. Please remind me if I forget.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Archived