Miami Port Hotel or South Beach

harv1631

We are flying in to FLL and cruising out of Miami. Our flight is due in at 1:40p.m. the day before. Is it worth it to stay at south beach or should we just stay close to the port at a hotel near bayside marketplace. It would be nice to visit the beach but we probably won't get there until around 3p.m. Are the cheaper hotels in south beach really as bad as some of the reviews?

What time of year?

From Christmas through late April I'd say no, it would not be worth the price. For an off season rate? Yes, most definitely worth the price.

There is so much more in South Beach and Miami Beach than Bayside Marketplace. Apples to rollerskates comparison.

Don't give up on asking questions about your hotel stay in Miami. We did a precruise stay in Miami in April. We stayed at the Doubletree South Beach. It was okay...the rooms were a little small, the staff was not so helpful, but South Beach is something that I am glad we experienced. The sidewalk right next to the beach was very enjoyable and safe to walk, and there is just something about walking next to the ocean. Just to give you a heads up it is a tops options beach. We really didn't see too much of that but the summer might be different. There is very easy access to Lincoln Ave. were there are alot of fun shops and outside/inside restaurants to enjoy. You will have Sunday morning to relax at the beach or take a walk next to the beach before taking a taxi to the port. I would recommend that you would get a taxi around 10:30 or 11am. We went at 11:30 and walked right on. The taxi to the port is around 25.00 and taxi about 25-30 minutes depending on traffic.

We will be their at the end of July. If only I could figure out were to stay with all the conflicting reviews I've read.

Courtyard By Marriott

Doubletree Surfcomber

Cordoza

South Seas Hotel

Most hotel rooms in South Beach are very small compared with todays standards because the hotels were all built from the 1920s-1950s and very small rooms were the norm.

Most hotels just renovated the rooms and kept them the same size but some hotels like the Loews and the Ritz-Carlton made the rooms larger.

I would stay downtown if you just have the afternoon and evening but we really enjoy the Bayside area and always have. We did stay post-cruise three years ago on South Beach. For us, a once in a lifetime thing. Stayed at the Holiday Inn which was okay...location is good. Yes, hotels are not great on SB unless you pay $250+ per night. I think we paid $170 back in March 2003. SB is very expensive as well...could compare to New York in terms of dining prices. But, we did find Subway, McDonald's, etc., on Lincoln Road. SB is assuredly interesting and a world of difference from Bayside but for us, if I just had a little bit of time, would stay downtown in that hotels and dining are cheaper than on SB.

I would stay downtown if you just have the afternoon and evening but we really enjoy the Bayside area and always have. We did stay post-cruise three years ago on South Beach. For us, a once in a lifetime thing. Stayed at the Holiday Inn which was okay...location is good. Yes, hotels are not great on SB unless you pay $250+ per night. I think we paid $170 back in March 2003. SB is very expensive as well...could compare to New York in terms of dining prices. But, we did find Subway, McDonald's, etc., on Lincoln Road. SB is assuredly interesting and a world of difference from Bayside but for us, if I just had a little bit of time, would stay downtown in that hotels and dining are cheaper than on SB.

The OP is staying in July which is off season while you stayed in March which is peak season.

Lots of inexpensive dining other than fast food chains so it is a shame you had to stick with McDonalds and Subway!

Thanks for the advise. I've booked us at the National Hotel for less than $100 through hotwire. I hope it isn't as bad as some of the reviews I read on trip advisor. We are not super picky and it is only one night so I hope we will survive.

If you go to Joe's Stone Crab, which I think may now be staying open from May to October, you can have the 1/2 chicken for only $5.95. Most other dishes are reasonable as well. It's only the steaks and stone crabs that put it over the top. It's a Miami Beach institution.

Harv, the sounds like a great deal on the National. Prime location. don't know about the bad reviews though.

Archived