Freedom accessibility

• When FOTC sets sail in June for paying customers, could someone please post wheelchair accessibility? Even if you are not handicapped, it would be greatly appreciated to find out how easy/difficult it is to maneuver. We have taken only 2 cruises before, but this will be the 1st time with wheelchair issues. My husband can stand and walk - just not for long distances.
  • Shore excursions: We would like to visit some ruins in Cozumel, Mexico. Any limitations? (We are in our 40s with teenage daughters)

Thanks for any help...

Carnival Ectasy 98

Carnival Destiny 01

Slukas: I visited the Tulum ruins in Cozumel (Playa del Carmen), and I don't think it would be very wheel chair friendly at all. The terrain is very rocky and uneven and there is also deep sand down on the beach. I would just hate to see you spend the $$ and not be able to enjoy the whole experience. I'm booked on the FOS, but not until the end of Oct. Hopefully, someone will post info for you before that.

Of course, the call is yours but it really would be a difficult experience to attempt the ruins. Enjoy your cruise and have a great time!

We visited Tulum with one of our party in a wheelchair and it was NOT accessible and was a terrible experience for our disabled member. It is sandy in many areas, the trolley you can pay to ride from the visitors center to the ruins is not wheelchair accessible and even when you get to the ruins, it is very rocky and uneven.

We would not have gone except that the Carnival Shore Excursion Director of the ship we were on at the time gave us assurances that it was accessible for wheelchairs. So I agree that you are better off on determining the accessiblity of these shore excursions by relying only on the experiences of people who have been there, and not just relying on the information on the webpage or even the assurances of the ship Shore Excursion Director.

I did Tulum on crutches , I know they are not as tricky as a wheelchair ( spent a year in one) I didn't find any problems with the crutches. I just didn't go to the beach and stayed mainly on the worn paths and the grassy areas where the ground was hard. There were some rocky spots but I don't remember being overly bothered by them . My DH, with my blessings, ran around ahead of me to all the different spots, while I took my time. If your husband can walk a short distance he can get on the trolley and they will help you with the chair. He does need to get up the steps in the bus, we had one of the large tour ones and I am not sure if they had a lift. The tour excursion department may have more specific info for you. Good Luck.

I did Tulum on crutches , I know they are not as tricky as a wheelchair ( spent a year in one) I didn't find any problems with the crutches. I just didn't go to the beach and stayed mainly on the worn paths and the grassy areas where the ground was hard. There were some rocky spots but I don't remember being overly bothered by them . My DH, with my blessings, ran around ahead of me to all the different spots, while I took my time. If your husband can walk a short distance he can get on the trolley and they will help you with the chair. He does need to get up the steps in the bus, we had one of the large tour ones and I am not sure if they had a lift. The tour excursion department may have more specific info for you. Good Luck.

:) Thanks for the info Sue. We'll definitely take that into consideration when booking. We're getting pretty excited about our trip in July! Hope your upcoming trip is great!!

Archived