Celebrity Summit - 5/20 Sailing Cancelled

MuiR

I just heard that the Summit is having pod problems on 5/8/06 sailing. I just called Celebrity and they are going to issue a redeployment. Has any one else heard any news?

Thanks!

I just heard that the Summit is having pod problems on 5/8/06 sailing. I just called Celebrity and they are going to issue a redeployment. Has any one else heard any news?

Thanks!

Hi Muir !

I have not heard anything yet. While I certainly hope it is not true, Summit has had this problem a few times over the past few years. It would not be shocking news.

The pod system certainly seems to be problematic - the thrust bearings and bearing mounts seem to be unable to tke the stress.

On paper, looks like a great system - but again problematic. I have not seen any of the major Navies of the world adopting such a system (yet). Navies are often tradition bound, slow to adopt new technology, and sometimes adopt the wrong ones (aluminum superstructures on warships, as the Brits learned in the Falklands).

Press ReleaseSource: Celebrity Cruises

Celebrity Cruises Cancels One Alaska Sailing

Wednesday May 10, 2:20 pm ET

MIAMI, May 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Celebrity Cruises is canceling one sailing on Summit to replace the starboard thrust bearing in the ship's propulsion system. The ship must enter drydock to replace the bearing, which will result in the cancellation of its May 20 sailing. The ship is expected to return to its scheduled sailings on May 27.

ADVERTISEMENT

if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("");if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=gGF54NhtfJCHoHhfQoANoARmR.RhD0RiM0wADGQj&T=1din25aio%2fX%3d1147286348%2fE%3d7811758%2fR%3dfin%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d1271254488%2fH%3dY29udGVudD0iRWFybmluZ3MiIGNvYnJhbmQ9IjxhIGhyZWY9aHR0cDovL3d3dy5wcm5ld3N3aXJlLmNvbS95YWhvby8.PGltZyBib3JkZXI9MCBzcmM9aHR0cDovL3VzLmkxLnlpbWcuY29tL3VzLnlpbWcuY29tL2kvdXMvZmkvZ3IvcGFydG5lcl9sb2dvcy9wcm5ld3N3aXJlXzE3MHgzM19sb2dvLmdpZiBhbHQ9UFJfTmV3c3dpcmU.PC9hPiIgY2FjaGVoaW50PSI3ODExNzU4IiBjYWNoZWhpbnQ9Ijc4MTE3NTgi%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dD3776DD8');yzq_a('a', '&U=139ltqbgg%2fN%3dvyfjkthtfGA-%2fC%3d397731.7965406.8945868.1383221%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3361836');}b?P=gGF54NhtfJCHoHhfQoANoARmR.RhD0RiM0wADGQj&T=1dn39nciu%2fX%3d1147286348%2fE%3d7811758%2fR%3dfin%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d2523095276%2fH%3dY29udGVudD0iRWFybmluZ3MiIGNvYnJhbmQ9IjxhIGhyZWY9aHR0cDovL3d3dy5wcm5ld3N3aXJlLmNvbS95YWhvby8.PGltZyBib3JkZXI9MCBzcmM9aHR0cDovL3VzLmkxLnlpbWcuY29tL3VzLnlpbWcuY29tL2kvdXMvZmkvZ3IvcGFydG5lcl9sb2dvcy9wcm5ld3N3aXJlXzE3MHgzM19sb2dvLmdpZiBhbHQ9UFJfTmV3c3dpcmU.PC9hPiIgY2FjaGVoaW50PSI3ODExNzU4IiBjYWNoZWhpbnQ9Ijc4MTE3NTgi%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dD3776DD8&U=139ltqbgg%2fN%3dvyfjkthtfGA-%2fC%3d397731.7965406.8945868.1383221%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3361836The cancelled sailing is a seven-night Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward. Summit is currently sailing a 13-night West Coast / Alaska cruise that will end in Vancouver, as scheduled on May 20.

Guests booked on the cancelled sailing will receive a full refund and a free Celebrity cruise from North America of up to seven nights, departing on or before September 30, 2007, excluding holiday and Celebrity Xpedition sailings. Travel agents will receive full commissions for the cancelled sailing, plus a $50 rebooking fee per stateroom when their clients reschedule their cruise.

"I sincerely apologize to our guests who are affected by this cancelled cruise," said Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises. "Although Summit continues to operate safely, this is a matter that must be addressed now. Our business is to provide the best vacations possible and I regret the disruption this will cause our guests. We will do everything we can to assist them onboard other sailings."

Celebrity has established a special help desk to assist guests and travel agents with rebooking, air transportation, land tours and other issues. That toll-free number is 1-888-281-9343.

The cancelled cruise is expected to have a negative impact on the earnings of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. of approximately $.04 per share.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, with a combined total of 29 ships in service and five under construction. The company also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada and Europe through its cruise-tour division. Additional information can be found on http://www.royalcaribbean.com , http://www.celebrity.com or http://www.rclinvestor.com .

Hi Everyone !

I am sorry to hear that the 5/20 sailing is cancelled (and yes this is confirmed now), but at least those affected will get a refund and another 7 night Cruise.

Yes, I just called Celebrity and they finally confirmed it too. Such a shame that they haven't replaced it entirely.

Hi Muir !

Believe me, I am quite sure Celebrity would do whatever it took to fix the problem once and for all. Every time they have to cancel a cruise and give refunds, costs them a lot of money.

Hopefully, one of these days, they will find a permanent solution to the problem.

Yes, you are right. A permanent solution would be much better than cancelling a cruise each time it breaks down.

Hi Muir !

Believe me, I am quite sure Celebrity would do whatever it took to fix the problem once and for all. Every time they have to cancel a cruise and give refunds, costs them a lot of money.

Hopefully, one of these days, they will find a permanent solution to the problem.

Read the link to the news on Summit on cruise critic-1 question-I believe that the Constellation is the only ship that has not had pod problems-article states that it has had pod problems-in a converstaion with the Captain,he stated the Constellation so far had never had a pod problem.

Read the link to the news on Summit on cruise critic-1 question-I believe that the Constellation is the only ship that has not had pod problems-article states that it has had pod problems-in a converstaion with the Captain,he stated the Constellation so far had never had a pod problem.

Hi Dsparku !

I was also under the impression that Constellation is the only ship in the M-Class, that has NOT had this problem. I seem to recall that, as this is the last ship built in the class, perhaps they were able to deal with the issue when Constellation was being built.

Hi

Thanks for the interesting comments on the "pod" - I am one of those cancelled on this sailing, and now I have a better understanding of why.

If anyone reading this has any idea of how Celebrity might arrange the "free cruise" offer I would be interested in hearing..... is there a choice of cabin category, is it just whatever cabin is left (way forward and opposite a stairwell or elevator landing) - or is there "room" for negotiation when a cancelled passenger tries to book the free cruise?

We have some flexibility but do not want to be steamrolled into something less than what we enjoy in terms of cabin.

Les

Hi

Thanks for the interesting comments on the "pod" - I am one of those cancelled on this sailing, and now I have a better understanding of why.

If anyone reading this has any idea of how Celebrity might arrange the "free cruise" offer I would be interested in hearing..... is there a choice of cabin category, is it just whatever cabin is left (way forward and opposite a stairwell or elevator landing) - or is there "room" for negotiation when a cancelled passenger tries to book the free cruise?

We have some flexibility but do not want to be steamrolled into something less than what we enjoy in terms of cabin.

Les

Hi Les !

I am so sorry your sailing was cancelled. I know it has to be a Huge disappointment. The good news is Celebrity has done well for you, and you will get another Cruise.

I have (personally) never been in this situation before, but I do not think that Celebrity will force you to into a poor decision, or give you something inferior. From what we have heard from past experiences, they will be very fair with you. So, try not to worry too much.

Please let us know how it all works out, and good luck !

I can't believe our luck. Does anyone know if Celebrity will refund all your cruises? We are booked on 5/20 and 5/27 and coming from Australia I don't know if we want to do just 1 leg of this. We don't have the option of perhaps doing 5/27 and then 6/3 due to work requirements.

Hi

Les

We were booked on this cruise too... wotta bummer, eh?

I believe the freebie is going to be "apples to apples"; if you paid for a 2A balcony, you'll get up to a Cat 2A balcony, an inside - inside, etc.... with no less priority at booking than anyone else. You may be able to upgrade with additional charge. You will only be limited by the category originally booked. It's just like money, only dependent on availability... actually better, since it can be used for a more expensive cruise. Book the freebie early...

There is still availability for this summer to Alaska... tho if you chose your cabin carefully, you may have to settle. The other problem will be booking air, may be sold out thru the cruise line or impossibly expensive if booked independently... not too much of a problem for you, living near Vancouver http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Smile

Now as for our non-refundable air, and non-refundable post-cruise hotel, booked independently... hmmm... will be interesting to see how Celebrity handles those. Since the phone lines are impossibly busy(been on hold for 45 minutes), I'll send a note to the DSM(district sales manager) to get some answers(I am a TA, but have little experience with Celebrity in instances like this)...

aussiedisneyfan - your agent should INSIST on a refund for BOTH cruises, tho I doubt you'll get freebies for both.

I am suprised that they have developed this problem, we just got off the 14 day Hawaii trip and as far as I could tell there wasn't any vibration or other problems noticed. The only thing that I can think of is that they had to use the stabilizers all the way back from Hawaii and that this put an additional strain on the pods.

I hope that your replacement cruise will be enjoyable.

I can't believe our luck. Does anyone know if Celebrity will refund all your cruises? We are booked on 5/20 and 5/27 and coming from Australia I don't know if we want to do just 1 leg of this. We don't have the option of perhaps doing 5/27 and then 6/3 due to work requirements.

Is the 5/27 cruise a northbound cruise to Seward, Alaska? Can you maybe see if they can put you on the 5/27 RCCL Radiance of the Seas sailing from Vancouver to Seward? That way you could still do your northbound and southbound portions.

Hubby said HAL Statendam is 5/19 so that may be an option. My concern is that the Summit may not be finished in time and then the 5/27 is cancelled. We have just come home from work to sort out what is going on. Our travel agent is away to next week and we haven't heard from the agency. We only found out though this website and an Alaskan tour company told us too.

Am on hold to our travel insurance to find out what we are entitled to as all our flights from AU and accommodation are booked separately.

So sorry to hear what has happened for all of you. I am not sure if this helps, but if any of you fancy the Baltics (I know flights may not be an options for many etc and it is a 2 week trip) we have a very lively CC group (weve never met, just developed virtual friendships on the boards since booking the trip) and as far as I can see some real good prices on the remaining cabins so come over an join us we will look after you

Hi

Les

You are booked into the same category you were originally booked in. You pick the cabin from open inventory.

Archived